Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45

Range Visit 6. No change on sight. Shot both Aguila and CCI. Had two mags with two consecutive malfunctions (FTE) on the second round. The second one I had to dig out of the chamber with a Pointed Stick. Hmmm. Gave up on Aguila and shot rest with CCI. Continued to have zero issues with CCI. Targets included The Test and a mag at 25 yd slow fire. Gonna call it 1” left at 10, and 3” left at 25. Elevation is good, at least. I am going to go ahead and do +6 clicks to move the Groups to the right. It's just how I shoot it, I guess.

Gun is up to 520 rounds now.

So - two FTEs in two magazines with the Aguila, right off the bat. Each time on the second round of the mag. Running through possible causes/answers:

1) Is the ammo to SAAMI specifications?

Checked SAAMI (SAAMI Z299.1 – 2018) for “22LR Sporting”. Cartridge diameter listed as 0.2270. Average diameter of 10 rounds of Aguila was 0.2241. Average of 10 rounds of CCI was 0.2240. Conclusion: Ammo within SAAMI.

2) Does the ammo plunk test in this gun?

After cleaning, did plunk tests with a sample of both ammo. Both Aguila and CCI plunked identically, slithering into the chamber with the same motion. Conclusion: Chamber+Ammo are probably to specification.

3) Noting that both malfunctions today involved FTE, what does the edge of the cartridge look like?

Examining both, the edge of the CCI might be more square than the Aguila, but there is not a lot in it. “Maybe” a better extractor will help.

4) Is it possible the Haloring added enough mass to the bolt, that it is causing the bolt to be slower?

Weighed bolt at 151 grams. Weighed Haloring at 12 grams. Conclusion: Unsure if 8% added to mass of bolt would have an effect. Maybe?

I decided to order an OEM Ruger MKIV Bolt assy with VQ firing pin and extractor off eBay VF store. (Thanks to the eBay link posted by @farscott upthread.) Theory is if I shoot the Aguila with this bolt (no Haloring, VQ extractor/FP) and it still doesn’t work, then I will conclude it’s the ammo and move on.

In other news, I ordered another 500 rounds of CCI.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-22-2024 at 03:13 PM.

I completed Range Visit 7 today. The gun has a total of 601 rounds through to date.

Prior to today's visit, I took each of my mags (5) apart and cleaned them out with Dawn detergent, buffed them with a patch wet with alcohol, and dried thoroughly. Then I reassembled them dry. For this test, I used mags 1 and 2, which have all Ruger OEM parts except for the buttons, which I used VQ. I picked a random sample of a couple different boxes out of my order of 1,000 Aguila and loaded them with 10 rounds, each.

I also received the VQ "upgraded" bolt assy, and one of the VQ RSA kits. I assembled an RSA with the VQ Dark (lighter) spring, to have as an option. I then shot the following test, each with a different scenario/cause in mind. Results follow each test. All results were with the Aguila ammo.

#1) Equipment: OEM bolt (no Halo ring), and OEM RSA (this was to determine whether the Halo had any effect: Result: #2 round failed to fire.
    #2) Equipment: VQ Bolt (with Halo), but retaining the OEM RSA (this was to determine whether the VQ FP and Extractor had any effect): Result: #1 round failed to chamber. It stuck half way up, at about a 45 degree angle.
    #3) Equipment: OEM bolt (no Halo), but this time I used the VQ Light (Dark) Spring. (this was to determine whether the lighter RSA in the stock bolt had any effect): Result: #1 chambered, but did not fire.
    #4) Equipment: Lastly I used the VQ Bolt (Halo) with the VQ Light (Dark) spring (this was to determine whether a lighter RSA, and the VQ upgrade, had any effect): Resuit: After one round, #2 round failed to eject.

So, bottom line, that was four full magazines of 40 rounds, and I managed to get 2 rounds off. I unloaded all the Aguila, and started shooting CCI. I proceeded to shoot 79 rounds of CCI Minimags with no stoppages or misfires or misfeeds whatsoever. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

I can't think of anything else at this time, and I don't have any other equipment combinations. This Aguila (specifically, this cartridge / lot) simply doesn't run, at all, in my specific 22/45. So I'll put the Aguila into storage, perhaps if I ever get a .22LR revolver, or other .22 firearm, and just move on with the CCI. I appreciate all the input in the thread, thanks a bunch, but I think I'm done at this point.

I bought a Browning Buckmark years ago and it loved CCI SV so I stocked up on it. Wore the gun out and got a Ruger MK IV 22/45 Lite and it hated CCI SV. Bought CCI Blazer and that ran great. Moral of the story, some 22’s have a strong preference for one brand of ammo with no reason other than the box is a different color.

I bought another MK IV 22/45 Lite last week and so far it’s ran everything I’ve tried but I’m sure I’ll find something it does not like. 22’s are finicky.

@RJ

Target Sport has CCI 40gr MinMags for $0.073 Per Round.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1570781

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    @RJ

Target Sport has CCI 40gr MinMags for $0.073 Per Round.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1570781

Gringop
    Thanks! Appreciate it. I have a bunch already, could always use more.

Next trip to the range is scheduled for this week, now that my Doc has cleared me after cataract surgery, which went well. I stopped by my local Sportsman's Warehouse in Lady Lake FL and picked up several 50 round boxes of different ammo to try:

- Aguila Standard Velocity 22LR 40gr LRN 1,130 fps. Ten rounds of this is loaded in Mag 1.*
    - Armscor Standard Velocity 22LR LRN 40 gr, 10 rounds in Mag 2.
    - Armscor High Velocity 22LR CP HP 36 gr, Mag 3.
    - Fiocchi Range Dynamics 40 gr LRN 1,050 fps, Mag 4.
    ...and lastly in Mag 5, I took 10 rounds of the problematic Aguila SE, cleaned them up real good, and loaded.

Prior to loading the mags, I re-installed VQ springs into all the remaining mags. All five of my mags are now OEM but with VQ mag springs and VQ buttons. I've also left in the upgraded VQ bolt (stock RSA) which I installed the halo ring on; it is a genuine pain in the neck to use the bolt without it. Separately, this will be the first time I have shot with my new eyes; and it's going to be interesting to see how I see the sights. To that end, I dabbed some orange sight paint on the front sight to help with contrast of the targets (generally B-8, generally black).

So we'll see how this goes!

You’re inspiring me. I think my next range trip will be with my Rugers - the CTM, 22/45 and new suppressed 22/45. My wife has been wanting to go to the range and learn to shoot handgun. The CTM and suppressed ones have RDS, and the other 22/45 has upgraded irons.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    As expensive as centerfire ammo is lately, and even reloading components, I have been shooting a lot more .22LR than anything else for months.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks! Appreciate it. I have a bunch already, could always use more.

Next trip to the range is scheduled for this week, now that my Doc has cleared me after cataract surgery, which went well. I stopped by my local Sportsman's Warehouse in Lady Lake FL and picked up several 50 round boxes of different ammo to try:

- Aguila Standard Velocity 22LR 40gr LRN 1,130 fps. Ten rounds of this is loaded in Mag 1.*
    - Armscor Standard Velocity 22LR LRN 40 gr, 10 rounds in Mag 2.
    - Armscor High Velocity 22LR CP HP 36 gr, Mag 3.
    - Fiocchi Range Dynamics 40 gr LRN 1,050 fps, Mag 4.
    ...and lastly in Mag 5, I took 10 rounds of the problematic Aguila SE, cleaned them up real good, and loaded.

Prior to loading the mags, I re-installed VQ springs into all the remaining mags. All five of my mags are now OEM but with VQ mag springs and VQ buttons. I've also left in the upgraded VQ bolt (stock RSA) which I installed the halo ring on; it is a genuine pain in the neck to use the bolt without it. Separately, this will be the first time I have shot with my new eyes; and it's going to be interesting to see how I see the sights. To that end, I dabbed some orange sight paint on the front sight to help with contrast of the targets (generally B-8, generally black).

So we'll see how this goes!
    Forgot the obligatory pic, d'oh!

Name:  IMG_4047.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  72.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    As expensive as centerfire ammo is lately, and even reloading components, I have been shooting a lot more .22LR than anything else for months.
    I have been planning too, after a while back it occurred to me that a nice 22LR round costs about the same as a SPP.
    Not planning to save any money, just planning to do some more volume. We have probably lost access to the place we have been shooting at every Sunday for about fifty years, so that changes things. Instead of going out and taking turns on the steel with my buddies I will probably be taking more solo trips to the range, and not taking turns with anybody!

Range visit 8. This was my first range visit after cataract surgery.

tl;dr: I found I could see the target clearly, but the front sight was a blurry orange bubble in a blurry black window. I made no changes to the sight. I started with a vertical and horizontal stripe, and shot 100 rounds on both. Judging by the shot dispersion, I decided to leave the sight alone in elevation, but I think I need to coax my groups a bit more to the right. Maybe at next range session. 128 rounds today brings me to 729 on the gun. I like it a lot.

Moar details:

I shot the 2 mags each of the new four Ammo options I bought:

- Aguila Standard Velocity 22LR 40gr LRN 1,130 fps: Round #1 ok, then #2 failed to chamber, ending up putting a crease in the round. Ended up with 9 fails in 20 rounds, not any better than the Aguila Super Extra. Pass. Here is what one of the Aguila SE rounds looked like after I cleared the chamber after a fail to chamber malfunction. The round is just stuck there, about 45 degrees. You can see there is a bit crease in the brass. This can't be good:

Name:  IMG_4069.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  47.4 KB

Between the frequent FTCs (like this) and FTEs, this ammo isn't really much good for anything.

- Armscor Standard Velocity 22LR LRN 40 gr Mag 2: After 6 rounds, got a FTE. Resulted in getting 16 out of 20 rounds to fire, not good either.

- Armscor High Velocity 22LR CP HP 36 gr Mag 3: 100%. 20 out of 20 rounds, felt like it “popped” like the CCI. This ammo worked fine.

- Fiocchi Range Dynamics 40 gr LRN 1,050 fps Mag 4: 20 out of 20 rounds, very good, no problems. I liked this ammo. It’s funny, I almost thought I could make out the bullet flying down range. I’ve never seen that before, ever. Also, this ammo appears to group slightly smaller than the CCI Minimags, even, as I shot a PB of 99-4X on The Test, very good for me with irons.

- I did a repeat for control purposes of the Aguila Super Extra 40 gr LRN 1,130 fps (cleaned): resulted in 3 FTE out of two mags. So, neither Aguila did very well, except for malfunction clearance practice, at which it excels.

Back to the sights for a minute: The targets I used for the ammo test consisted of a 1/2" vertical stripe (on the left) and a 1/2" horizontal stripe (on the right), placed at 10 yards. I did the above ammo testing by shooting half the mags (10 total) on the vertical and half on the horizontal.

Name:  IMG_4070.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  43.0 KB

Looking at the dispersion, if you don't count the rounds that landed on my stripe, for the horizontal I put 16 above and 18 below. So I think elevation / hold / ammo seems about right.

For the vertical, I had 30 rounds left and 11 right, so this squares with my perception I shoot this gun to the left a little (odd for a lefty) very consistently. I even though I gripped very very hard, and made sure my forearm was straight, either I am steering rounds at the break or the gun just shoots a bit to the left. I need to take my wife with me on the next range visit and see how she shoots (she is right handed). If she also shoots it left, I'll probably just start adjusting the rear sight until I line things up. If not, then I'll conclude it's me and keep working on fixing my issue.

All in all, a very useful session. I verified the gun shoots lower velocity rounds (at least the Fiocchi) but continues to choke on Aguila, so I'll use it for tap rack bang drills. I may buy some more Fiocchi and try it along with the CCI in a comparison of group sizes.

I'm really happy my shooting didn't get negatively affected by my surgery, the target is absolutely razor sharp. The sights, not so much, but it's hard to argue my objective results are better, now. I am reminded of @TCinVA 's posts about using the sights like a car windshields, it is kinda making more sense now that I can visualize the target at distance. I am still going to need to work on opening both eyes and learn how to deal with the double image, but I'll leave that for another day. Given my vision isn't going to change (the doc said my implants were lifetime) I am going to need to get used to target focused shooting, I guess.

I felt like this has been a really interesting experiment with 22LR, and I'm really glad to have bought this gun. It is a lot of fun to shoot.

User Tag List