Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45

Yes, the VQ kit improves the trigger pull weight and feel. Apex and Tandemkross are also good choices. Unless one of them offers something specific the others don't (a particular color or trigger shape for example), my preference would be Volquartsen, Tandemkross then Apex.

Correct a Ruger MK series lower is unserialized. The kits aren't difficult to install but I find parts of the process fiddly. That could be related to the way my hands and fingers work (or don't work at times) though.

FWIW THESE make for great, cheap snapcaps.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I don't have any experience with the Volquartsen kit for the MkIV, obviously, but I do have one of their extractor and firing pin kits for my M&P 15-22. It really increased reliability in ignition and extraction. Volquartsen makes good stuff.

I had one of these speed loaders back when I had my MkIII; it made loading mags a breeze: https://www.tandemkross.com/Ultimate...dden_p_31.html

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Besides quality of parts, and smoothness I guess, is the chief benefit of their accurizing kit a reduction in trigger pull?

https://volquartsen.com/products/123...r-mk-iv-pistol

Also: they charge $105 for kit install, which being unserialized does not need an FFL I gather. Is the kit all that complicated to install? I’m mechanically inclined, no issues taking a 1911 or Glock apart, so I’d guess it isn’t too bad.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.
    All that Volquartsen kit does is replace the FCG parts and reduce the trigger pull. That trigger also adds pre and post travel stops.

Other companies like tandemkross.com offer parts kits that do the same and add a part to remove the mag disconnect.

I have a MKII 22/45 and a MKIII 22/45 but I don't know the details of how the MKIV is set up. I altered my MKII to make the bolt release sprung down and bought a Tandomkross sprung bolt release for the MKIII. These allow you to just run the bolt to chamber a round from lock back, handy for lefties like me. I also added the LCI delete and removed the Mag safety on the MKIII.

If you can strip a 1911, you will have no trouble with any of these kits.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Thanks all. I appreciate the input on Volquartsen.

While I have no problem following my tendency to "...I'll just tweak this right...here..." with a new gun, I think in this case I'll hold off messing with it until I get through my first k of mini-mags. I was just curious.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-21-2024 at 12:20 PM.

I’m still waiting for GaG to ship my 22/45. They are in the middle of their 3 to 7 day window, so it’s ok. In the meantime my 1,000 mini mags arrived, as well as a few more .22 related things (snap caps, bore snake etc,)

I see Volquartsen mentioned a lot. While I plan to shoot the gun stock, two questions please:

Besides quality of parts, and smoothness I guess, is the chief benefit of their accurizing kit a reduction in trigger pull?

https://volquartsen.com/products/123...r-mk-iv-pistol

Also: they charge $105 for kit install, which being unserialized does not need an FFL I gather. Is the kit all that complicated to install? I’m mechanically inclined, no issues taking a 1911 or Glock apart, so I’d guess it isn’t too bad.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.
    I have a stainless 10½" heavy bull barrel MKII that I hunt with that I had the work done just for the heck of it and it does help.

The Volquartsen kit does result in a somewhat lighter (a few ounces) trigger pull that is also better modulated in terms of take-up, break, and reset.

Of course, I've never had much to complain about with the MKII triggers in the first place. The remainder of the many other MKIIs that I own were never modified as their triggers are just fine for a casual plinker and the occasional friendly competition with friends where more shit-talking than shooting occurs.

The disconnect between what I have (MKIIs) and what you will have (a MKIV) is that there have undoubtedly been changes in the design that may result in a different trigger pull weight and quality. I have three MKIVs. In my opinion there is a very slight difference between the trigger pull of the MKIIs and the MKIVs, but in my experience (yours may differ from mine), the triggers on the MKIVs are pretty decent.

Is the Volquartsen kit modification worth the $105? It wasn't to me (which is why I didn't bother modifying the rest of my MKIIs), but the only way to know is to take the plunge. At the very least, you'll end up with a trigger that is no worse than what you started with.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Thanks all. I appreciate the input on Volquartsen.
    I bought Volquartsen parts and kits back in the day, and was never disappointed in them. Even if something didn't improve the "pull" or "feel" to any great degree, it always seemed as reliable, or more so, than the factory part it replaced.

A latent Luddite like myself doen't care much for the looks of most of the VQ line anymore, but if a person has the coin to drop on something like one of their Scorpions, they are unlikely to be disappointed.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    All that Volquartsen kit does is replace the FCG parts and reduce the trigger pull. That trigger also adds pre and post travel stops.

Other companies like tandemkross.com offer parts kits that do the same and add a part to remove the mag disconnect.

I have a MKII 22/45 and a MKIII 22/45 but I don't know the details of how the MKIV is set up. I altered my MKII to make the bolt release sprung down and bought a Tandomkross sprung bolt release for the MKIII. These allow you to just run the bolt to chamber a round from lock back, handy for lefties like me. I also added the LCI delete and removed the Mag safety on the MKIII.

If you can strip a 1911, you will have no trouble with any of these kits.

Gringop
    Confused about the bolt release mod as the MK II factory behavior allows the bolt to chamber a round from slide lock without touching the slide stop/bolt hold-open. If I do shoot to slide lock, I just swap magazines and retract the bolt. That releases the slide stop, so releasing the bolt then chambers the top round in the magazine.

The MK II slide stop requires the magazine follower button to raise the slide stop. Once the follower button is out of the way, retracting the bolt causes the slide stop to drop out of the bolt notch. I verified this behavior on a stock Mark II Competition Target Model as well as on my Mark II 22/45.

Pew, pew…

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  100.5 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Pew, pew…

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  100.5 KB
    More like psst, psst.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Confused about the bolt release mod as the MK II factory behavior allows the bolt to chamber a round from slide lock without touching the slide stop/bolt hold-open. If I do shoot to slide lock, I just swap magazines and retract the bolt. That releases the slide stop, so releasing the bolt then chambers the top round in the magazine.

The MK II slide stop requires the magazine follower button to raise the slide stop. Once the follower button is out of the way, retracting the bolt causes the slide stop to drop out of the bolt notch. I verified this behavior on a stock Mark II Competition Target Model as well as on my Mark II 22/45.

In my MKII, I had issues with the bolt release not dropping quickly with the mag out and me quickly slingshotting the bolt. It may have been when it was dirty or just bad technique on my part. I took the bolt release out, drilled a hole in the top of the "knob" to make a recess for a spring and found a spring that would fit.

Name:  20240121_232736A.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  68.8 KB

On the MKIII, there is some kind of detent in the bolt release mechanism that keeps it in the up or down position. Tandomkross sold a bolt release that removed the detent and added a spring and plunger to make a more elegant version of what I did on the MKII.

Name:  20240121_232632A.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  75.5 KB

I found a trigger for the MKII that adjusted forward and back to give me a better trigger length for my big hands. I guess a trigger shoe would do the same. Pardon all the dirt.

Name:  20240121_232955A.jpg
Size:  43.7 KB

A double handful of 22/45s. The MKII is at 2 7/8 lbs and the MKIII is at 3 3/4 lbs on the factory hammer and sear.

Name:  20240121_233105A.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB

Gringop
    Last edited by gringop; 01-22-2024 at 01:10 AM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List