Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45

I’m anal, so I use a little blue stick form Loctite and make the tops of the screws flush with the top of the receiver, and with the slots or hexes lined up too.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I just threw this together earlier this week.

JR1572

I hope nobody minds me turning this into "Rich's 22 Rimfire Training Journal" thread.

Shot another range session the other day, The gun is chewing through Minimags, 71 more brings the gun up to 158. Not much of a round count but no malfunctions, either. I got a fifth mag so I can load up a box of 50. The Tandemkross "Halo Ring" is a godsend; no more pinching fingers on the bolt. It's really convenient.

I reversed all the adjustments on the rear sight I made at session 1; my thinking was that Ruger probably knows what they are doing. I focused solely on the basics of grip, stance, trigger control, breathing etc. and things seem to be better. A 96-1X on "The Test" is no great feat but at least I'm putting all the rounds more or less correctly left to right. Perhaps I can adjust for elevation; this was with the sights aligned at the bottom of the bullseye (5.54" on a B-8) at 10 yards. I sent a T-10 test target out to 15 yards and shot a 61 with 10 rounds, which if I recall correctly is a PR. This was also shot with the sights lined up at the bottom of the bull (2.75" in the case of the T-10).

Name:  IMG_3853.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  51.0 KB

The stock trigger feels a little loosey goosey but for now I'm ok with it. At 4.5 or whatever pounds it's not far from my Garrison. The lack of any real recoil is messing with my head, I have to consciously not move the gun. I think I must have some flinch because it's weird that I have it with .22. The gun just doesn't jump, so any movement at the break must be me moving it? Like I said this is hard to describe.

Shooting 22LR is a lot of fun.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-26-2024 at 01:01 PM.

These things are fun…Name:  ED53CB11-CB13-4396-AABB-C1814D7BAC29.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  97.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The Tandemkross "Halo Ring" is a godsend; no more pinching fingers on the bolt. It's really convenient.
    Rich,

I'm not trying to poo-poo any accessory that you like and works for you, just trying to understand how your fingers were getting pinched. Were you riding the bolt forward, or releasing it at the end of the pull and letting it fly forward?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Rich,

I'm not trying to poo-poo any accessory that you like and works for you, just trying to understand how your fingers were getting pinched. Were you riding the bolt forward, or releasing it at the end of the pull and letting it fly forward?
    Recall I'm left handed, and the bolt catch lever is on the wrong side for me. I have to do this Kabuki dance with my hands to both push up on the catch and hold the bolt back at the same time, to lock it. If I don't do it correctly, sometimes the bolt slams back home, leading to an ouch. I got tired of doing it with an empty magazine, which also works, obviously. It happened enough during the period I was doing trigger pull measurements, to where it was kinda a pain in the butt. At the range in normal operation, it's nice to just grab the ring and pull/release to chamber a round.

I guess for $50 it is a bit spendy for a small piece of aluminum, but it does seem to help in my particular case.

One negative after adding the halo ring is the gun would no long fit comfortably in the Allen padded gun case I had for it, so I had to order the next size up from that. So it cost me $49 plus another $8 lol.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-27-2024 at 10:53 AM.

I was trying to work out my rear sight height adjustment I need next time at the range. I made a note in my logbook that I was about 6" high on the B-8 at 25 yards; most all of the rounds were above the target. So I need to lower the rear sight a bit.

I did some sluething and discovered an older post by member "bullseye" at Rimfire Central with the POI change per click that contained a graphic he created. I think that's useful, so I am copying it here for later reference.

I'm not 100% sure where this data came from, but it's not in the Ruger manual. So I'll probably create some overly complicated spreadsheet on this with some numbers to see if I can predict how many clicks I need empirically, then head to the range with a screwdriver and see if I can get more on target at 25.

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-02-27 07-14-08.png
Views: 275
Size:  5.4 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 02-27-2024 at 10:56 AM.

One of, if not the most useful firearm in my inventory: 22/45 MKIII w/Tacsol Upper, MaddMacs RMR mount (lower profile than a rail mount), RM09, light rail installed by Steve at Rose Action Sports, old X200. Great setup!

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Recall I'm left handed, and the bolt catch lever is on the wrong side for me. I have to do this Kabuki dance with my hands to both push up on the catch and hold the bolt back at the same time, to lock it. If I don't do it correctly, sometimes the bolt slams back home, leading to an ouch. I got tired of doing it with an empty magazine, which also works, obviously. It happened enough during the period I was doing trigger pull measurements, to where it was kinda a pain in the butt. At the range in normal operation, it's nice to just grab the ring and pull/release to chamber a round.

I guess for $50 it is a bit spendy for a small piece of aluminum, but it does seem to help in my particular case.

One negative after adding the halo ring is the gun would no long fit comfortably in the Allen padded gun case I had for it, so I had to order the next size up from that. So it cost me $49 plus another $8 lol.
    I'm tracking now. I had temporarily spaced off that you were a lefty, and the issue makes sense while manually locking the bolt to the rear. I was only thinking in terms of chambering a round.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I was trying to work out my rear sight height adjustment I need next time at the range. I made a note in my logbook that I was about 6" high on the B-8 at 25 yards; most all of the rounds were above the target. So I need to lower the rear sight a bit.

I did some sluething and discovered an older post by member "bullseye" at Rimfire Central with the POI change per click that contained a graphic he created. I think that's useful, so I am copying it here for later reference.

I'm not 100% sure where this data came from, but it's not in the Ruger manual...
    I sent this question to Customer Service yesterday:

Hi - Please can you tell me what is the change in point of impact for each click of the adjustment screw for the elevation and windage screws at 25 yards for my Ruger 22/45? I was told it was 1/2" per click, but wanted to confirm. Thank you!

This is what I got back today:

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service. Your Customer Service Issue # is 10440030. Hi Richard, Each click is 1/4" at 15 yards. We hope this helps. Thanks for the e-mail and have a great day. Ruger Customer Service

I'm headed to the range tomorrow so I'll test this out against my "I'm shooting 6" low at 25" issue.

User Tag List