Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45

Maybe we'll see a Shield Plus in .22?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_1813.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  49.3 KBName:  IMG_1812.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  45.7 KBName:  IMG_1811.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  45.8 KBName:  IMG_1809.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  59.0 KBName:  IMG_1808.jpg
Size:  44.8 KB

Blue MKII standard was my first gun. S&W M18 no dash is probably the class of my .22 collection, revolver collection, and is rivaled for top spot in the whole safe only by the M70 Featherweight and Ithaca 37 Featherlight Skeet in the long guns.

However. The stainless MKII Competition Target is everything I hoped for: steady, accurate, and fun. Bullseye may be my new game.

@RJ I've found this to be rather handy.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1086
    Taking a break from social media.

22lr ammo can get finicky in colder temperatures. My wife shoots rimfire in Steel Challenge; matches plus practice at 500 rounds/week will build up wax in the mags which is really an issue in the cold. I found my ultrasonic cleaner leaves the mag bodies spotless. We still have two retired 22/45 which were generally reliable; the Volquartsen Mamba-X equally so with direct mount optic and of questionable value compensator. I never use lube but keep the bolt and barrel assembly spotless.
    Trigger will never equal a 1911/2011, but decent and with the VQ parts should be in the 2.5-3.0 lb. range
    FWIW I just bought my wife a battery-heated hand muff to keep her match mags in.

It gets a little cold here in Arizona so I learned to put a hand warmer inside my 10/22 between stages. It help.

I also shoot CCI Mini Mags when it's cold. They work at any temperature. So does Remington Golden Bullets. CCI VS has too much way but Norma TAC 22 works great in the Summer but not Winter because there is just too much lube on the bullet.

Site Supporter
    I would get a 22/45 specifically the Mkiv tactical.

I have one I use with my suppressor and red dot that I love.

I’d recommend that, but that’s just my $.02.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    My Dad bought a 22/45 very early on - in the first or second year they were released, I'm pretty sure.

As a kid and a teenager shooting it on every single range trip with my Dad, I can't even begin to guess the number of $8-12 bricks of Wal Mart .22LR that went through that pistol. Wasn't uncommon for me to shoot 1100 rounds a month, two bricks, out of that pistol exclusively.
    We've had to clean it a few dozen times and it didn't care for the lead bullet thunderbolt .22LR, but otherwise it eats everything and shoots with good enough accuracy to always enjoy it.

I've also taught probably a dozen people how to shoot handguns for the first time using that exact same pistol. I honestly can't imagine more true firearm value for the dollar than a good quality .22LR semiauto pistol, and the 22/45 is at the top of my list. For admittedly both pragmatic and sentimental reasons.
    Last edited by JRB; 01-18-2024 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Name:  IMG_1809.jpg
Size:  59.0 KBName:  IMG_1808.jpg
Size:  44.8 KB

However. The stainless MKII Competition Target is everything I hoped for: steady, accurate, and fun. Bullseye may be my new game.
    My late wife scrounged money to buy me a new MkII Competition Target pretty early in our marriage, and I will always cherish it both for its origin and also because it’s an amazing pistol. A few years ago I removed the irons and added a RDS to compensate for my aging eyes.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a MKI Heavy Barrel/Target that I got in 1977. Many thousands down the barrel and still a tack driver. I've replaced extractors and springs.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

MkII Competition Target

I have the exact same MKII Competition Target pistol in post 42. Have had it for decades. It is a fun shooter. The trigger has a light and very clean pull. I was quite surprised the first time I pulled the trigger. I am glad the current model MKs have a simplified takedown.

User Tag List