Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Attachment 116090

Picture sums up my experience trying out the Aguila Super Extra ammo - no good in this gun. I was barely able to shoot two mags worth. Out of 20 rounds, I'd guess maybe I had 6 or 7 failure to eject, and then 3 of these where the gun simply didn't chamber a round, pictured above. As well, the recoil of the Aguila was much noticeably more muted than the CCI, very much so. I dunno much about .22 shooting but the Aguila isn't a good match for this gun, I guess, so I will stick to CCI.

I've had extremely good results (0 malfunctions, 2 duds) out of over 1000rd of Aguila Super Extra HV from my G44, in 50 / 250 / 500rd boxes. Smoky but reliable with a good kick. I fired 50x of the Aguila subsonic with no malfunctions, but noticeably less power and seeming threshold level of cycling.

I also think doing a 'hand break in' with the G44 helped to help loosen up the springs to make cycling easier and subsequently more reliable. I plan to do the same regimen with any new .22 I get now; perhaps this method might help you with the Ruger as well?

-Spray slide / internals with Hornady One Shot dry lube (stuff is great on knives as well)
    -Hand cycle slide / bolt 300x (I did in sets of 50); leave locked open a few days
    -Hand cycle the magazine up and down using the load assist 50x per mag; leave loaded a few days

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    I've had extremely good results (0 malfunctions, 2 duds) out of over 1000rd of Aguila Super Extra HV from my G44, in 50 / 250 / 500rd boxes. Smoky but reliable with a good kick. I fired 50x of the Aguila subsonic with no malfunctions, but noticeably less power and seeming threshold level of cycling.
    The specific Aguila I have notably slower than the CCI, I assume I have the subsonic variety? The other obvious difference is the plating on the CCI (copper) as opposed to the bare lead with the Aguila. Is the old saw about polishing the feedramp a thing with 22LR pistols? Or is that a solution looking for a problem?

I appreciate the tips on the bolt and mag. I have been meaning to get some One Shot.

I don’t think that Aguila is subsonic but it is closer to standard velocity than high velocity. I’ll check my CCI SV when I get home (if I can remember ) to see what the box says.

I would not polish the feedramp. Right now we don’t know if the pistol needs more breaking in with HV cartridges or if it simply doesn’t like that particular Aguila loading. I have an aftermarket barrel on a High Standard that so far refuses to reliably feed CCI SV but has no issue with Norma TAC-22.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    The specific Aguila I have notably slower than the CCI, I assume I have the subsonic variety? The other obvious difference is the plating on the CCI (copper) as opposed to the bare lead with the Aguila. Is the old saw about polishing the feedramp a thing with 22LR pistols? Or is that a solution looking for a problem?

I appreciate the tips on the bolt and mag. I have been meaning to get some One Shot.
    Your Aguila pictured earlier is standard velocity, not subsonic. “True” standard velocity is about 1080fps, btw.

There is probably nothing wrong with your pistol. Many .22 pistols like certain ammo and dislike other ammo. That “like/dislike” can manifest as accuracy or the lack thereof, or in reliability or the lack thereof.

My first pistol (TM) was a Ruger MKII. It has had tens of thousands of rounds fired through it in the past three decades. I taught my kids and wife how to shoot with it, and it is still a favorite. Some lube on some .22LR makes it choke and need the chamber and magazines cleaned after a few magazines - and some of that ammunition is quite accurate. Other rounds, I can run through multiple bricks before powder residue starts to slow the bolt and gunk up the breech and bolt faces.

I have a MKII Comp Target recently purchased that is amazing. Still learning what it likes and doesn’t.

Buy some Eley target if you want to see what your pistol can really do for accuracy.

I have a 1950s era S&W .22LR kframe that shoots for days with some ammunition, and other ammunition, a perfectly clean gun will have gunk in the chambers making it difficult to load or eject empties after only 6-12 rounds. It stacks most rounds, though.

Buy a variety of ammunition. Learn what it likes and doesn’t like. Buy lots of what it likes, and have fun shooting it. Or just keep buying the CCI it works with and have fun shooting it.
    Last edited by Duelist; 03-13-2024 at 10:03 AM.

I just wanted to drag in a few of my logbook entries for future reference. I'll see how things turn out at the next range session after doing the below. We are going out of town for a few days, so I will pick this back up soon(tm).

For mags #1 and #2, removed VQ spring and button, and replaced back with STOCK parts. I noticed the VQ Mag springs are stiffer but MUCH shorter than Ruger springs. Makes sense I guess. Did 200 hand cycles on both. I also sanded on the button channel surfaces with 400/800 paper, then installed VQ buttons. Seems like the VQ buttons are slightly wider than the Ruger ones on the shaft?. Mags 1 and 2 seem marginally less sticky than they were, I dunno. Loaded both with 10xCCI to sit.

Did the same 200 cycles each on mags #3 and #4, but these have the VQ buttons and VQ springs. Loaded both with 10xAguila from Box #2, a different box from my order.

For mag #5, I took it apart and Flitzed the bejesus out of the channel slot till it was shinier than a...well, it's pretty shiny. I wiped the follower down with some Eezox since I don't have any spray dry lube at the moment, and reassembled it with a VQ button and VQ spring. The button in the channel operates verrrry smoothly now, much smoother than the rest of the mags. I loaded this mag with 10xAguila from Box #2.

While doing all this, I noticed the Aguila rounds have a tendency to “stick” at the top of the mag tube, unlike the CCI, which drop in all the way to wherever the follower is sitting at that moment. I wonder if the Aguila ammo is slightly bigger, relative to case diameter, than the CCI. For sure the CCI ammo does not hang up in the tube. Hmmm.

I reread the Ruger Owner's Manual (shocking, I know) and there is not a lot of guidance on lubing the bolt. Based on what's stated there by Ruger ("NOTE: Only a light application of oil is needed to provide adequate lubrication of
    moving parts and to prevent rust"
    ) I may or may not have been putting too much on...so I cleaned off everything and added 1 tiny drop on either side, wiped it down, then reassembled. Put back in safe with bolt locked back.

Adjusted Top Screw (Elevation) -6 clicks i.e. Counter clockwise to raise my groups a bit.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-13-2024 at 02:26 PM.

FWIW these are the two ammo types I have. The CCI read 1,235 fps, the Aguila 1,130. I guess I have standard velocity Aguila because I can't see any thing that would indicate otherwise...

Attachment 116096
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I don’t think that Aguila is subsonic but it is closer to standard velocity than high velocity. I’ll check my CCI SV when I get home (if I can remember ) to see what the box says.
    My CCI SV box says 1070fps and the Norma says 1100fps.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The Aguilla subsonic is a little slower than regular, but all of them are subsonic from pistol length barrels. Frankly I think they sell subsonic so they can charge more money for putting less powder in.

I would suggest buying the HV as I think those are inherently more reliable in autoloaders.

I can't speak to polishing the feed ramp, but thats an area I keep cleaned ever 250-300rd on my G44, and lube with the Hornady One Shot.

The ammo is standard velocity and should function just fine in a Ruger Standard pistol. More than one of mine has digested cases of it with no issues. The question is whether the ammo is the issue or the pistol. If CCI Standard Velocity functions just fine, the ammo is the culprit. If the pistol chokes on that load, it has an issue. I am noting that Volquartsen is now offering three different recoil spring weights with their Ruger bolts. As my samples are all well worn, they may function with iighter loads that trouble a newer pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I am noting that Volquartsen is now offering three different recoil spring weights with their Ruger boltsl.
    Interesting. It's been a while since I visited their site, any idea how long they've been offering the different weights?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Interesting. It's been a while since I visited their site, any idea how long they've been offering the different weights?
    I saw it about three months ago but only because I needed a new bolt. https://volquartsen.com/departments/...gurations/6065

User Tag List