Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a 22lr

Recommend a 22lr

I want to trade in my Ruger LCP MAX for a 22lr pistol. I already have another 380 and this Ruger has a crazy painful trigger slap so the gun is not even worth keeping for the sake of keeping.

Not sure what I want in a 22, never had one. Honestly I don't even know how much I want to spend, on top of whatever I'll get for the LCP. The little Ruger 22 seems neat. Small and holds 10rds. But the Taurus has 16. Whatever it is, I'm not looking for a competition gun. Nothing that needs special attention to run

Site Supporter
    Assuming this is for recreational use and not SD, it's hard to go wrong with the Ruger MKIV pistols. I have a MKIII 22/45 Lite and a MKIII Hunter. Both are great plinkers and reliable even with bulk ammo. I've modded the hell out of the 22/45, but not because it needed it. Used MKIIIs are commonly available used and could be found cheap (at least last time I bothered to look).

Chris

Site Supporter
    I've read a lot good feedback on the TX200,I think I'm going to pick up a compact, red dot ready, it should make for a good plinker / inexpensive trainer

The Glock 44 is my favorite 22 ever. And I’ve owned a lot of them. The magazines are easy to load. It’s reasonably reliable with good ammo. There are no pinch points like there are on the Rugers. It’s also been really accurate for me. Owning other Glocks is a bonus because all of my support gear works with the 44.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I want to trade in my Ruger LCP MAX for a 22lr pistol.
    Not sure what I want in a 22, never had one.
    Your difficult situation is that there are sooooooooo many options, and many/most (maybe even all?) are good.
    IMO the best baseline might be the basic bull barrel Ruger 22/45 or one of the basic version of the Browning Buckmark, since both of them are out there for $350.
    IMO the higher end version of both, but especially the Ruger, seem to jump up in price pretty quick.
    They are both ready to make you smile out of the box, the Buckmark is probably a little better but if there is ANYTHING you want to change with the Ruger somebody somewhere already thought of it and makes a part.
    Even if you get something else in addition someday, I think either of these are something that would never languish in your safe nor ever get traded.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    The Glock 44 is my favorite 22 ever. And I’ve owned a lot of them. The magazines are easy to load. It’s reasonably reliable with good ammo. There are no pinch points like there are on the Rugers. It’s also been really accurate for me. Owning other Glocks is a bonus because all of my support gear works with the 44.
    If you shoot Glocks or other striker fired pistols, it’s REALLY HARD to disagree with the above. I really like my G44!

If you shoot Berettas, the .22LR adapter is every bit as good as the G44. I have heard that the dedicated.22 M9 is equally good but have no experience with it and would be cautious as the lower is not a true B92 series lower.

There was a time that .22LR conversions and .22LR “understudy” pistols were prone to malfunctions and other issues that made designs guns like the Ruger Mk and Buckmark attractive, but these days guns like the G44 are every bit as accurate and reliable.

Another Ruger MkIV vote - if I could only have one .22 pistol, it would be my 5.5” bull barrel 22/45 with a few minor mods:

https://ruger.com/products/markIV224...ets/40107.html

Edit - $365 today with no tax at Dack: https://dackoutdoors.com/product/rug...ip-blued-slide
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

IF you don't need optics and price isn't too big an issue.

I remain firmly in the Beretta 87 camp for best .22 ever. Very reliable and compact. Otherwise, the Ruger Mk IV pistols are choice.
    My apologies to weasels.

Hard to beat a threaded Ruger Mark IV for $420 at https://grabagun.com/ruger-mark-iv-t...ear-sight.html. Toss the stupid flash suppressor and replace it with one of https://volquartsen.com/inventory_co...76?clearance=1 for $15. You would then be suppressor-ready while have a great plinking and informal target pistol. For $35 more at https://volquartsen.com/inventory_co...98?clearance=1 you can have another upper with fixed sights. Volquartsen also has some clearance uppers with their ten-inch barrels on them if you want some sight radius for small-game hunting.

User Tag List