Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 22/45

I need a .22lr with a dot for practice purposes. A 22/45 would probably be the Easy Button solution, even if I do kinda want to mount a dot on a S&W 617.

Sadly, the rimfire wheelguns tend to be a bit pricy.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    IMO start with Mini Mags...
    Thanks all. I just bought a thousand Mini Mags from TargetSports for...$73.

$73. Smokes. I think I am starting to get this .22 thing now.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    $73. Smokes. I think I am starting to get this .22 thing now.
    I love to shoot 22LR, but when it skyrocketed it was unobtainium and didn't cost all that much less than I could reload 9mm.
    A while back it occurred to me to check on current costs, and it turned out it was cheaper and more available than just the dang primer, so in the interest of saving money I spent over $1k on a 10/22...

22/45's are nice guns, but I'll put in a plug for the SIG 322: optics ready, threaded barrel, good reputation for reliability (and mine has been), 20 rd magazine if you want. I like having the dot lower than on a 22/45.

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Haven;t read the entire thread, just tried to buy one and they said it must ship to an FFL. What's up with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    The upper is serialized, not the frame.
    Yup. And dang, if you are going to pay a transfer ya might as well get three of them to hack on.
    This makes the rabbit hole even deeper. I plan a RDO that would replace the rear sight on the heavy barrel, and these have a pinned front sight, so maybe one of these would get the rear sight and a FO replacement front (or I have seen blades made from bright plastic).

Name:  Yup.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  28.6 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    My first gun of any description was a Ruger MKII Standard, 4.75” tapered barrel with fixed sights. We still have it after 30 years, and it has taught many how to shoot. It has fired truckloads of ammo, with very rare malfunctions (usually ammo related). I wore out a recoil spring assembly, and it probably could stand a new extractor, but it still runs and is very, very accurate. So much so that while I have and enjoy a G44, I would never choose it over the Ruger (or S&W M18 revolver) if I actually needed to hit a small target (like braining a rabbit or squirrel, or a 1” dot). I’ll have a pic of it tomorrow with a new MKII sibling I’m picking up.
    I consider the MkII to be the best of the Ruger .22 pistols overall. The two I foolishly sold to finance a pair of MkIIIs (I bought into the hype of the new magazine release despite it never being a problem for me on a .22 pistol) are still serving their second owners with zero mechanical issues.

Many people here on P-F seem to be happy with their MkIV pistols, and I wish them continued luck. But I will still recommend that people find a MkIII or earlier.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I need a .22lr with a dot for practice purposes. A 22/45 would probably be the Easy Button solution, even if I do kinda want to mount a dot on a S&W 617.

Not just S&W wheelguns. Sticker shock awaits if you price a new S&W Model 41.

(Which is still a pretty neat pistol, though they have been kind of a rich geezer gun for years.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

A 617 has a lot of class, though. Look at @AzShooter’s threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    A 617 has a lot of class, though. Look at @AzShooter’s threads.
    It or the Colt would be more than welcome- but both are a bit on the $$$ side. And that's before getting an optic & mount.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    22/45's are nice guns, but I'll put in a plug for the SIG 322: optics ready, threaded barrel, good reputation for reliability (and mine has been), 20 rd magazine if you want. I like having the dot lower than on a 22/45.
    Still shoot both, and agree. My 22/45 is more accurate and slightly more reliable. But the 322 is more fun, and with the TS and dot, is more realistic training for carrying my 365 XL and Macro, both of which are fitted with a dot and TS.

User Tag List