Thread: M&P 40 to 9 conversion

M&P 40 to 9 conversion

I have been reading on ARFCOM a thread about converting a M&P 40S&W to a 9mm simply by swapping out factory barrels.
    Has anyone here tried this yet?

It may work. I certainly would never carry such a monstrosity. You would have to deal with slide mass, recoil spring, and extractor issues that would affect reliability going from .40 to 9mm.

Doesn't 9mm require a different breach face for reliable operation?

I don't know. The OP from the thread mic'd each of the barrels and they were pretty close IIRC.
    Here is the thread:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=16&t=104694

I'd be interested to know how the factory 9mm barrel compares dimensionally to a Storm Lake 40-9 conversion. The factory 9mm barrel is about half the price of a Storm Lake on brownells midway.

I have a friend I shoot IDPA with who has a M&P40 PRO. He has both a 9MM & 357 Sig Barrel for it. I think all he does is switch barrels and recoil springs. He did install adjustable sights so he could adjust the point of impact across the various loads.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I guess I'll just have to take the leap and try it out for myself. While I wait for 9mm magazines from 44mag.com, I think I'll double check some dimensions with my own micrometer.

User Tag List