Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fight Lights: Weapon Mounted vs. Handheld

Fully Charged Cell

In reading through comments on YT videos on this subject, one of the comments in support of a pistol-mounted WML is that since it would only be used in those rare (if ever) circumstances when it's legally justified to draw the pistol, there is less worry about discovering a dead WML due to a discharged cell from other use. This is yet another advantage of a dedicated fight light, regardless of how it's carried.

This IMO is a serious consideration if only one "EDC light" is carried that's used for all of those mundane EDC tasks, and being depended upon should a more dire situation suddenly present itself.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

My 18350 Fight Light

• Single output mode (850 Lumens | 44,000 cd)
    • Momentary operation only using plunger-style switch
    • 4.8 ounces with 18350 cell
    • 3.875" AOL (4" with switch boot projection)
    • Optimized for Rogers-Surefire technique (works fine with Harries, FBI, etc.)
    • Compare to Surefire X300T

Of course the beauty of the handheld fight light is that it can be used by itself for low-light SA, and threat detection/assessment. It can also be used to create a powerful photonic barrier against an aggressor if the threat does not warrant drawing the pistol.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Two Lights

Along with the fight light discussed above (and carried in a HBC), this is my most recent rendition of an 18350 EDC "everything else" light. It uses the Malkoff MDC XP-L head which is three modes (30 | 300 | 800 lumen), an E1 body, E2T tail cap and Grip Ring Kit. This light is carried via the DIP method in a front pocket, the wrist lanyard makes retrieval and retention easy.

Though a low-candela, three-mode light is far from ideal for fight light use, this version optimized for a syringe grip/R-S Technique can be pressed into that service in a pinch.

What is interesting about good information being presented is how it can completely change a mindset. Last year I was convinced that that the TLR-7a was the greatest thing ever, put one on every Glock, and got holsters to match and bitched when some maker didn't support it. Threads like this, and my own experience experimenting with the TLR-7a night shooting, have shifted me to going back to handheld only. Most of the reasons for this have already been discussed and I'd just be repeating them again, but I do have one reason I think is unique.
    Holster frustrations.
    When talking about kydex holsters that retain the pistol only on friction, the TLR-7 just flat out doesn't have enough to mold on to have retention I'm comfortable with. On the flip side, while the TLR-1 and X300 lights can retain really well, they make the gun much larger. When the gun doesn't have a light at all and the kydex retains the gun by the trigger guard, the retention can be tweaked to very securely keep the gun holstered and still be able to draw it quickly. The satisfying "click" when holstering in a trigger guard retention holster is enough for me to go away from WMLs on pistols. I've seen video of a WML equipped pistol yeeting itself from a friction-only holster while the shooter was running that only strengthens my belief that this is an issue. It helps that over the last year I've become more comfortable shooting strong hand only and have come up with a palm-sized shock cord lanyard set up that I really like for retaining a handheld light while shooting with a 2-hand grip.
    The above pertains to concealed carry. On my range battle belt I run a Blackhawk T-Series holster that alleviates this concern. Even so, I have both the TLR-7 WML version and the model for the pistol only. The pistol-only version is a noticeably smaller footprint than the TLR7 version and I feel it re-holsters better. More affirmation that I prefer just to use a handheld going forward.
    This might be the year I explore the 1911 for the first time, and if I do I might forgo a railed version altogether.

I’m really happy with the TLR7 and 8, and have no issues with solid holster fit.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Great article, thank you for sharing your insight. I am in the Handheld all the time; +WML for long-gun camp. Not into WMLs for pistol in part due to bulk in AIWB &
    I dont like the idea of having to point my handgun at someone in order to PID. It does make me wonder if there is a market for a rifle mounted light that can swivel up & forward
    so you could walk muzzle below waist while still momentarily flashing a burst forward.
    <Matthew 10:28>

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m really happy with the TLR7 and 8, and have no issues with solid holster fit.

I think it is subjective. I have JM Custom kydex OWB and IWB holsters for the Glock 19 with TLR-7a, and I think the entire forum would agree his stuff is among the best out there. It's not terrible by any stretch and probably as good as it can possibly get with those holsters. However, for me it doesn't compare favorably to a trigger guard retention, and combined with some of the great discussion around the subject of WMLs for concealed carry here on this forum is enough to push me over to the handheld only camp. When I did a comparison of standard owb kydex holsters by the same maker, one with the TLR-7 and one without any WML, my preference for both drawing and holstering from the trigger guard retention holster is just apparent. It's not a monumental difference and I don't believe a TLR-7 molded holster is getting anyone kilt in da streetz.

I posted this elsewhere....

...but worth the repeat here.

Old farts on pistol lights (I'm an old fart too);

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I think it is subjective. I have JM Custom kydex OWB and IWB holsters for the Glock 19 with TLR-7a, and I think the entire forum would agree his stuff is among the best out there. It's not terrible by any stretch and probably as good as it can possibly get with those holsters. However, for me it doesn't compare favorably to a trigger guard retention, and combined with some of the great discussion around the subject of WMLs for concealed carry here on this forum is enough to push me over to the handheld only camp. When I did a comparison of standard owb kydex holsters by the same maker, one with the TLR-7 and one without any WML, my preference for both drawing and holstering from the trigger guard retention holster is just apparent. It's not a monumental difference and I don't believe a TLR-7 molded holster is getting anyone kilt in da streetz.
    Subjective, yes for sure. I can invert and shake my TLR8 holsters, and the gun doesn't fall out. That's all I'm looking for retention-wise.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I can see some advantages to a weapon-mounted light. If I am at home, whatever gun I am wearing is my home defense gun until bedtime. Having options is good. If I am using a handheld light, I can switch to the WML by simply dropping the handheld light and letting the lanyard retain it on my wrist.

The biggest reason I do not carry a weapon mounted light is the added difficulty of doing so. My most common IWB EDC, a Glock 26, has few options for mounting a WML. I have carried a G19 with a TLR-7 in a JM Custom Kydex IWB #3, but even this very well designed holster puts more bulk inside my waistband than the same gun without the WML. I know of no pocket holsters that accommodate a WML.

I do not worry about not having a WML because I always have a handheld light, and can shoot strong handed. If I need to see what is happening outside my home, I am very likely not justified in drawing a gun. If I am drawing a gun, it is because I have already identified a threat.

The summer of 2020 and subsequent events have eliminated many of my assumptions about the situations we might face, so again, options are good.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List