Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock-30.5 in all it's variations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    ... and just to round out the topic, one would elect the 30.5 and not the 29.5 because...?

(or to put it another way, does the 29 share the same good rep as the 30?)
    Without even debating caliber, perhaps due to the wider spread of hot vs mild ammo, the 20/29 don't quite have the same reputation for reliability and shootability as the 21/30.

Going to caliber, for pistol bullets over people popping 9mm, I'll take wider and heavier over faster 8 days a week. They're just pistol bullets. Also, America.

Sadly the AWB took what was going to be an 11 round pistol and fucked it up. Glock further fucked it up by making the G29 and thus dictating the G30 9-round grip length.

Before I saw the light and embraced 9mm, the G30 was a serious contender for 'the one gun'. What killed it was the grip, too short for my liking - and I mean the actual grip - making reloads wonky. Aside from that, I love everything about the pistol and I shoot them well, once I am re-calibrated for .45.

At some point in 2024 I intend to complete the .45/10 Gen 5 collection, regardless.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    ... and just to round out the topic, one would elect the 30.5 and not the 29.5 because...?

(or to put it another way, does the 29 share the same good rep as the 30?)
    No.

10mm Glocks historically have not been as reliable as the .45s.

10mm ammo is more expensive and less available.

10mm Glocks are sprung for standard commercial “mid power” loads.

To run hotter 10mm ammo you need to re-spring the gun.

For reference, I currently own a GEN five Glock 20. I don’t hate them, but I’m realistic about what they are and are not.

Huh?

I sort of backed into the 30S.

In Oregon, we got stuck with Measure 114 (dead for now, it seems). That left me with a horrible attitude concerning leftists, and a gap in the armory.

I knew the 30 was reliable and accurate. These days, I'm just in street clothes, so I needed something that lent itself to carry.

Glock was a natural choice: Owned at least one since 1993.

I opted for the 30S, even knowing it was going to recoil more than the standard 30SF.

After a while, I'm comfortable sharing the findings:

PRO:

Great all purpose sidearm. Conceals well for belt carry, and is useable in a pocket holster in tac trousers (with the 9 round magazine installed).

Accessories are not quite as available as with the 9mm guns. The counterpoint is the 30S was almost fine out of the box. Its only modifications are a smooth G21 triggger, Ameriglo I-Dot nights, and a set of Talon grips.

It will reliably put everything in the 10 ring out to 15 meters.

CON:

The 30S needs more traction if you're going to use +P. It wants to lift a bit. Even that isn't horrible; it wants to snap, but it tracks very well.

The 30S could benefit from the Gen5 treatment, including MOS. Of course, with a RDO installed, you lose the utility of pocket carry.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I am a fan of the 30sf. Mine passed with flying colors although we didn't quite complete the challenge correctly because my son wiped down the gun before we reached 2000 rounds.

I find my 30sf to be very accurate, soft shooting, and easy to carry.

I have recommended this gun to my friends and they are equally pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    What should I know about the G-30, including the S and SF models?
    The G30 is known to have issues feeding Semi-wadcutters. I have experienced it myself.

My recollections and thoughts from owning G30 models.

I've no experience with the latest G30gen5 or the G30S (which apparently has a slimmer slide (G30S, pretty much the slide from the G36).

I presently have a G30SF bought 8 years ago (2016), now with ~13K rounds through it. It works just fine. And my only G30 variant.

I had a G30gen4. The frame cracked from shooting (perhaps 15K rounds) and Glock replaced frame. I later sold the G30gen4 as I now had the G30SF and lost a bit of confidence with the G30gen4 variant.

Earlier I had the old G30 without a light rail. I had trouble shooting this model one-handed as the grip was so large for me. I think some folks might refer to this model as a Gen2 or Gen2.5. The SF model has a shorter reach to the trigger which suits my large-glove-size hand fine, as did the G30gen4 without an add-on backstrap.

OP, let us know what you decide to buy, if anything.

For .45ACP, I also have four 1911 5" variants. If I'm in a .45ACP mood, I'll carry any one of them.

https://us.glock.com/en/Pistols?filter=45auto
    I suspect the G30gen4 will be discontinued if it isn't already with the G30gen5 out or soon-to-be-released.
    Last edited by L-2; 01-15-2024 at 10:35 PM.

I’m also awaiting the G30.5 release; albeit I’ve been teetering between a G30 and a HK45C for a few years now.

When it comes to autoloaders I’m a Glock fan but the little HK has some features I like; but will probably capitulate to the 5th gen Glock.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I’m also awaiting the G30.5 release; albeit I’ve been teetering between a G30 and a HK45C for a few years now.

When it comes to autoloaders I’m a Glock fan but the little HK has some features I like; but will probably capitulate to the 5th gen Glock.
    After years of considering a G30 of some flavor, I went HK45C LEM a few months back and am very happy with my decision.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    After years of considering a G30 of some flavor, I went HK45C LEM a few months back and am very happy with my decision.
    I just picked up my HK45C LEM. I am also going to get a G30 Gen 5 when they come out. Answer is always to get both! In the meantime I have G21.5 goodness to keep me going.

I ordered the HK45C LEM. Specifically, the "LE" SKU that comes with 3 mags instead of 2, and tritium night sights instead of the luminescent. Can't wait to shoot it.

Name:  hk45c.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  44.9 KB

User Tag List