Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expereience with PSA ar's

Expereience with PSA ar's

Ok so PSA is fairly new but they seem to be using very high quality parts and check all the right boxes. the thing is when you try and research you get a bunch of crap from whining idiots does anyone here have any experience running one?
    "It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

Site Supporter
    I have a couple lowers from them i'm waiting/in the process of building up. No experience with complete rifles though.

I tend to let others beta test in this situation. There are plenty of quality rifles at, or even below PSA's price point. If the purpose is to be different, or first kid on the block with a PSA, so be it.

There are lots of builders who use quality parts. But a quality rifle is more than the sum of it's parts.

Before buying a PSA, I will let them get used on someone else's dime for a good two or three years.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I believe member Al T. has some familiarity with them.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I have built boxes full of lowers using their parts kits and have had the fewest (none) issues with their kits out of all he normally available kits. Their complete uppers have been good for friends of mine, enough so that if I see a decent deal I would buy one. I would suggest that you consider the political climate currently and the difference between a BCM/DD/Colt and a PSA gun by the time all the math is done. I suspect that if there is any legislation in the near future and extra $150 saved would mean a lot less then than now.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have a good friend who has had no issues with his. That's all I've got, sorry.
    #RESIST

I'm in the same town as PSA and have been a customer pretty much from jump street. I am not an employee.

I do own several PSA stripped lowers, two complete uppers. My ARs are Colts and frankenguns. I only shoot about 2k of 5.56 per year. I'm sort of new to the AR system, only been shooting them (.mil to start) since 1977.

Here is my take on PSA. Early on, they got hooked up with FN for barrels (as do several other prominent companies) and what appears (from my contacts at FN) to be the same sources FN uses for the rest of the parts. Think LPKs, complete uppers and lowers, etc.

Two of my buddies are running PSA complete rifles. Only systemic issue appears to be that the FN barrels have mil-spec gas ports. That shows itself when .223 or under loaded ammo is used. Both buddies have had issues with PMC Bronze.

What I do know is that PSA has had a few lemons get out of the door and my personal opinion is that is due to the assembly process. I have not been "behind the curtain" there, but I do know the guy who was initially boss of that operation. No clue if he's still there. He is not Paul Buffoni. That is what I think PSA's weak spot is, assembly. Most of the time they do good work, but I'm more comfortable putting the parts together myself and running it hard.

As to price point, I am pretty much set for firearms. So, I don't get out much. I have found that PSAs specials are pretty good values.

And apparently contact by phone sucks. I've had decent service when ordering using email.

I'm a inexperienced AR owner. Have had a couple over the years, but I am by no means a heavy user of the rifle.

Bought two PSA stripped lowers early this summer just to have on hand with no intention on building them out. Then they had their Labor Day sale, and the prices were crazy good from my standpoint. Bought a complete mid-length upper, MOE LBK, Tested BCG and charging handle. Delivery of Lowers, Upper and parts were all within the 15 day posted time frame. Those time frames are not being met now. They are taking much longer on some orders from what I am reading on the net.

Buying during the sales helped me put together the rifle I wanted for $722 and change delivered and FFL transfer. Without the Magpul stuff it would have been in the mid $600 range.

First time out after cleaning and lubing the rifle, It did great with about 150 rounds of 5.56, but was choking on crappy Remington UMC 45 grain .223 that I had left overs of.

Second time out after a thorough scrubbing of the chamber, cleaning and re-lube the rifle ran another 150 rounds of 5.56 with no issues. Also ran about 150 rounds of PMC .223 with no problems.

Since then, I've put another 150 of 5.56, 150 of .223 PMC and 150 of steal cased .223 through it with no malfunctions.

I like it, but obviously not fully tested and run hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    What I do know is that PSA has had a few lemons get out of the door and my personal opinion is that is due to the assembly process. I have not been "behind the curtain" there, but I do know the guy who was initially boss of that operation
    i remember this, it was that they had not installed the gas tubes properly three got out that way, i also remember their response. They immediately fired the guy who put them together and started test firing every rifle(which they should have anyway in my opinion) but im pretty sure that issue has definitely been solved. thanks for the info
    "It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Here is my take on PSA. Early on, they got hooked up with FN for barrels (as do several other prominent companies) and what appears (from my contacts at FN) to be the same sources FN uses for the rest of the parts. Think LPKs, complete uppers and lowers, etc.
    about this i know they use Toolcraft bcg's same as fn like you said. and anchor harvey forgings machined by aero precision for the receivers. the way i feel, FN AR's are pretty freakin tested, so if its the same parts just assembled at PSA then im pretty confident in the end result

User Tag List