Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How cold was it?

Just finished feeding the horses and shoveling manure in 5 deg. Reading this thread I feel in limbo. Yes, it's cold for someone who lived for 40 years in CA, but I'm right between the low minus freeze your ass temps and the just below freezing hang a light bulb on the hose bib temps. So, no whining for me, but heated gloves are in my future.

I just realized that I slept VERY well, last night. With the possibility of bridges and overpasses freezing, and clouds with precip potential being overhead, the F-ing street racers let me get my rest. We live MUCH too close to the Interstate 610 Loop. Normally, the night before a holiday would be a race night.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    It got down to 9.6F at about 4AM this morning.
    Currently a balmy 9.9F with a good dusting of powdery snow, maybe 0.10 inches...
    DFW airport is reporting 1.3 inches of snow overnight... they're not far East of us... so... I suppose we got lucky.
    Another 48 hours to go before it starts warming up...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    -11 in the Chicago burbs...cold enough that I saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets for once

Semi- on topic:

Antique store find

In the spirit of Horatio Caine, I guess you could say: they had a... Victorian Dress Code
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

It’s hard to imagine the lows in Montana and similar places. I’ve lived in SW Ohio all my life. Once in a great while we’ll get 20-25 below for a few days. That would be tough to get used to. People around here are almost beside themselves as the overnight lows are in single digits. I do have one pipe I need to be careful about when it gets down to ten below but that’s not every winter.

it's +66 here.

Site Supporter
    KCMO area
    0, feels like -6.

Wind Chill Warning thru NOON CST TUES
    Ambient temps 5 to -5, windchill feels like -35.

Keeping an old house between 65-69 is a challenge.

Glad I have natural gas “emergency” heat.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

It was 20F in Dallas on Friday night. But that was not the worst.

Holy Shit, Batman! It was -12F in Chicago Sunday night/Monday morning, wind chill to -30F. The ground crew at the airport: the heroes slinging bags, fueling, and working outside have my admiration. I brought our crew hot cocoa. It was so cold the fuel hydrants underground froze up, and we had to delay 3 1/2 hrs for fuel. Tough day. Cold.

I have no desire to spend a winter in Chicago.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    In a not-unusual move for a Southern city, school is shut down tomorrow and businesses are closing. Ain't nobody goin' nowhere. I made a crock pot full of navy beans and sausage and my daughter cooked up some rice. We're set.

We're getting more rain and freezing rain than predicted. The roads are going to be pretty slick tonight and tomorrow.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List