Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How cold was it?

Back to bitter cold here in Iowa. Currently -3 with -15 windchill.

Which has one upside, which is that I can make a black manhattan even though there’s no ice in the freezer.

Name:  IMG_2192.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  29.0 KB

Shot a rimfire match today. Mid Atlantic Rimfire Series, targets from 50-205 yards. 20F with 5-15mph winds, occasional gusts higher. Made for some very challenging conditions and lowered scores. Simple tasks like dope cards and loading magazines became more difficult. I was layered up, but could have used another layer on my legs. Frikkin’ Cold!
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Fri night was 22 degrees. No hard freezes in the forecasts now, just rain.

The LAW Folder synth lube experiment at 1 degree F for 24 hrs in the chest freezer was anti-climatic. It cycled normally as if it was 70 degrees. I guess I will need to shoot a few hundred rounds suppressed, get it really dirty and try it again.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

We are just now coming above freezing in KC. Last weekend it was -7 overnight, 3 above during the day, with blistering winds. The Boy First Class did the Trapper's Rendezvous campout in Hutchinson -- two nights in that crap -- and I spent a really long time getting to France. He enjoyed himself more than I did.

France was shitty -- not that cold, like 24-34, but they don't heat the train stations and I was as usual trying to make a thick sportcoat work instead of real clothes.

Took an extra day to get home as well; it's just possible that hiring a drag queen as a CEO shows a systemic judgement issue at United Airlines.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    In the immortal words of Roger Murtaugh, I'm too old for this shit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Yesterday was 77 degrees warmer than in the pic above. This strongly reinforces my obsession with never seeing such a thing in person again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    When I was a kid we had a LOT more snow...
    One of my favorite old Calvin and Hobbes cartoons (that I cant find) was Calvin and his dad standing out in the snow, it was up to Calvins nose, his dad is saying "This is nothing, when I was a kid it would get THIS deep" holding his hand up to his nose level.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Should be about 48° here tomorrow. Snow was gone a few days ago. I'll probably try to shoot a few rounds of trap tomorrow if the rain chance is below 50%. I don't like shooting in the rain. I worked outside for 40 years through every winter. 40° and rain was typical. When the temp went below that I just hoped for snow so I could take a vacation day.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Its funny, it is up to the 30's and raining here now, so after 3 feet of snow in the last couple of weeks we got flooding, in the spring I would be freezing in this weather but I got out to the range in the standing water yesterday and was actually not cold at all. Perspective is a weird thing.

Site Supporter
    I was as usual trying to make a thick sportcoat work instead of real clothes.

Hat, gloves, scarf and merino wool Longview can go a long way when you are rocking the sport coat look.

Brother, as I told the Scouts ( and often their dads) “Gentlemen, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear choices.”
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List