Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How cold was it?

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Gringop (contemplating putting the LAW folder equipped AR in the Chest Freezer overnight)
    Got up to like 40 degrees in the sunshine today. Not one single power outage or Snowmageddon opportunity to shift the truck into 4WD (looks down, kicks rocks). Not even a burned out bulb in my faucet heatlamps.

My Swedish ancestors would be out picking Lingonberries in their shorts in this weather.

Supposed to get down to 13 degrees tonight with 45 degree highs tomorrow. Friday night it's supposed to get down to 22. Ermagerd!!! Another freeze emergency, Hurrah!!!

The LAW Folder AR has been liberally lubed and placed in the Chest Freezer. It's secure due to the hasp and padlock installed during covid. Couldn't let the Shanghai Shivers zombies get my hungry man dinners.

We will test the homemade lube function tomorrow at 10 am.
    Do not be alarmed, we are not children here, we are scientists.
    Name:  2007_7young-frankenstein.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  10.3 KB

Gringop
    Last edited by gringop; 01-16-2024 at 10:04 PM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

It got up to 11 or 12ºF by the time I left work today.

Truly, a tropical heatwave!
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

At the time of this reply, it is 1 degree in NW Alabama.

Site Supporter
    Woke up to 8° on the back porch and the widget on my desktop now says 5°. On top of that, I keep getting texts/notifications from local LE and EMA that roads are still impassible and several of the steeper/hillier roads are outright closed because there's 1/2"-1" of sleet and ice on almost all of the roads. On the upside, it should get above freezing long enough to get some rain/freezing rain/sleet mix and then go back below freezing again for Friday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    This is well below our ASHRAE "design temperature" so many heating systems are struggling to keep up the next 24 hours...especially heat pumps which are normally reliable for us
    That was one thing I was particularly pleased with when we bought our house was that the heat system was a "dual mode" that had a heat pump and an auxiliary NG heater. It's certainly been a welcome thing the last couple years . . . at least until the gas bill arrives. Ouch.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

It is not really that cold but due to it dumping snow, I just received a text alert. No school for the next two days for my kiddos again. They missed time off last week too due to cold temps/blizzard, etc. They are loving this. I explained that they are lucky that they are not over in Glasgow MT with my friend. Kids are going to school there and last week it was in the minus 20s and 30s. I think it is up to single digits now.

When I was a kid we had a LOT more snow, but it was phenomenally rare that they would close the schools. We have a whole bunch of people that have moved into the area and the state, and they definitely are not used to dealing with snow. I dropped packages off at UPS yesterday and trying to navigate around people was interesting. It is not the snow and ice that makes the commute dangerous.

On a bright note, my kids will be building a bigger ramp for their sled from the snow that has been shoveled off the driveway, and their igloo fort that has been tunneled out underneath will have another layer on top!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    ...my kids will be building a bigger ramp for their sled from the snow that has been shoveled off the driveway, and their igloo fort that has been tunneled out underneath will have another layer on top!
    That's what kids are supposed to do!
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Officially celebrating the last cold (11 deg) morning. This dry snow is brutal and the ice build-up resulting from compaction will be around for quite a while in shady area (e.g., the skating pond in front of my shop). I've re-calibrating my California ass (40 years worth) to think of 15 deg as warm.

Site Supporter
    Seen on Facebook this morning . . . when you put it that way.
    Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 17.49.01.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  26.0 KB
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I feel so bad; I'm a horrible dog-dad. I accidentally locked Ungrateful Freeloader out in the cold (-25 wind chill) for about ten minutes. I kept hearing this weird noise on the back porch until I opened the door and there she was. I felt so bad (but... seeing a dog [now completely safe and sound] with chattering teeth was a little funny).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

In the immortal words of Roger Murtaugh, I'm too old for this shit. We have only had around 20 inches of snow and finally today we hit 20 degrees, but the wind has been horrible and the wrong direction for me. Every night I lay awake and wonder if we will get out of the driveway in the morning to get to work, and every day I wonder if we will get in the driveway after work. That's with 2 plow jobs a day. It doesn't help that my main car is in the body shop after my daughter hit a deer with it and my backup is currently dead. Driving one of the shop trucks. Supposed to be going back to normal winter lake effect snow this weekend. At least that means winds out of a favorable direction to avoid drifts.

User Tag List