Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How cold was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I know the area. We used to hunt deer on Mingus Mt. just up the road. Jerome was an interesting place in the 70's. Hippies took over the old ghost town. Not sure what it's like today. Bisbee was revived by tourists and hippies in the 80's. Thriving today. Some good eats and mining history there.
    I knew a hippy girl in Jerome, we'd hang out now and then. Its OK, at least when i was last there....in uh,...about 1999.

I went to Gila Bend to visit Dennis one time, then took a drive across the lower part of Az, Had mex food in Bisbee, It was the best I'd ever had. I saw Bisbee and mex food mentioned on the Az Highways online magazine and looked up mex restaurants, looked on google street view and found the one I had eaten at and the spot I parked on the steep side street with high curbs. Its still in business from all appearances, Id love to go back again.

When I got near to Gila Bend I called Dennis at the ranch he worked at, he said "Where are ya at?" I said "Im in town, I came to visit, you said to come by if i was ever in the area" "Hell! I just said that, nobody ever actually comes to visit"
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I know the area. We used to hunt deer on Mingus Mt. just up the road. Jerome was an interesting place in the 70's. Hippies took over the old ghost town. Not sure what it's like today. Bisbee was revived by tourists and hippies in the 80's. Thriving today. Some good eats and mining history there.
    I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca in '82-'83. We drove around the area when we first got there and one of the places we went was Bisbee. My late wife's degree was in Art and she took one look and said "We're living here."

"But sweetheart, it's 30 miles to Huachuca and I have to get there early for PT!"

"That's okay, you like to drive. We're living here."
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Just packed up for the late Jan Robin Sage exercise here in NC... It's gonna be cold or wet according to the forecast, guess I get my pick of the two weather conditions available in Jan in Central North Carolina.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca in '82-'83. We drove around the area when we first got there and one of the places we went was Bisbee. My late wife's degree was in Art and she took one look and said "We're living here."

"But sweetheart, it's 30 miles to Huachuca and I have to get there early for PT!"

"That's okay, you like to drive. We're living here."
    It's a pretty cool little town that attracts some unusual types. I lived about 25 miles from Bisbee from grade 5 thru high school. I didn't go to school there. We were there in 2016 I think when we had the RV. Looked the same except lots of tourists. I noticed an unusual number of people using a food bank but that's just about everywhere these days. That area has been depressed since the mine shut down in the 70's. It was still in operation when I lived there.

Looks like you know about that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Folks:

We had -29 degrees Friday night. Temps Saturday morning were still -18. I ran the snowblower Saturday afternoon and temps were a balmy -12. I love Montana but these temps are a bit much. Glacier National Park reported -70 wind chill Thursday or Friday. Next week temps are expected to hit 40 degrees (above zero) for a day or two with friggin rain.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

According to NOAA, in the last 36 hours it got down to -45ºF. The temperature hasn't gotten above -8ºF in the last three days.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

4 degrees right now. Overnight low is supposed to be 2 degrees, so we are about there. Tomorrow's high is a balmy 16 degrees.

ETA: Central Oklahoma

19 degrees in Austin with predictions to 18 in the morn. Barely perceptible falling snow/ice crystals at 11:15.

My normal Icemageddon preps in place, 2 incandescent drop lights in thick Styrofoam boxes covering the outside wall surface faucets, a Goldenrod gun safe heater (never been installed a gun safe) under an old cracked Rubbermaid 5 gal cooler for the one exposed pipe out of the ground faucet. A drop light in the unheated exterior laundry room with an electric 1250 watt heater set for 35 as backup.
    Kitchen and Bath faucets dripping.

I just checked the 8 plus year old antifreeze in the truck, good to go at 19 degrees.

All 3 gens were run and tested for 30 min at the beginning of the month. 20 gals of gas w/Sta-Bil stored.

But the burning question is, how will my homemade synth grease/synth oil AR lube work at sub freezing temps? See School of the American Rifle vid referenced in an older post. I have already left one rifle (hidden) out on back porch for a few hours and it hand cycled fine when I checked it.

Do I need to leave my H3 equipped rifle out in the truck to cold soak for a few days then drive out to the range before daybreak on Wed when it is supposed to be 15 degrees. Should I go buy some shitty underpowered Monarch ammo from Academy. Oh, what is a shooting nerd to do????

Gringop (contemplating putting the LAW folder equipped AR in the Chest Freezer overnight, and having way too much fun with this Centex cold snap)
    Last edited by gringop; 01-15-2024 at 01:26 AM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Dayum. Those temps are insane. My dad used to day, it was so cold, he saw a banker walking down the street, but his hand was in his own pocket.

Ya'll stay warm.

Well, we are at 29 F, just before dawn, in Bellaire*, Texas, which may seem like nothing to write home about, except that I gambled wrongly, so, potted plants that I was going to bring inside, today, are probably already freeze-damaged. I trusted a usually-accurate weather forecast source, rather than the sensationalist click-baiters. (These plants are not tropical, but will die-back if it freezes. I like to see bees, and those tough little butterflies, feeding all year, in our front yard.)

It is not that I wish it would never freeze. We are far enough south that tropical diseases, the tropical insects associated with those diseases, and some noxious warmer-weather plants are best kept to our south by the occasional hard freeze. Notably, we did not have a freeze, at all, during Winter 2023. The really cold “Siberian” air will reach us, later today, or tonight; we could well see the ‘teens, after a slight climb above freezing, later today, during daylight.

Lesson: I should have carried those big, heavy potted plants inside, as soon as I finished moving things around, to make room for them.

Edited to add: I did remember to strip and lube the Glock that I am most likely to carry. (Gen4 G17; one of my former duty pistols.)

*Bellaire is a small, independent city totally surrounded by Houston.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-15-2024 at 08:03 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List