Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How cold was it?

Site Supporter
    At least on this side of town, we got enough sun to melt the bit of snow and dry the roads... High around 25F... not so terrible. Expecting low teens tonight and then tomorrow pretty much like today. Looking forward to Wednesday!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    It’s just starting drop a bit from the mid 40’s high we had this afternoon. Still forecasting a good coating of ice on everything overnight.

Had one client ask us at like 12:00 today if we could get the parking lots at all of their office buildings sanded by tonight. They were informed in a more professional way that in this part of the country we don’t have magical big ass sand trucks that can come out and do that on a couple hours notice. There’s probably like 60 in the whole state and they’re all owned by municipalities or the state itself.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    KCMO area
    0, feels like -6.

Wind Chill Warning thru NOON CST TUES
    Ambient temps 5 to -5, windchill feels like -35.

Keeping an old house between 65-69 is a challenge.

Glad I have natural gas “emergency” heat.
    We use a mix of propane and electricity all winter. If we lose power we don't lose heat or the kitchen range to cook. We do lose hot water but I can live a few days without a shower. Generator keeps the garage freezer and refer going. So far no issues, but damn, it's been 33 years since I've seen it this cold here.

The last time we were out of town and the furnace stopped working. We came home to find the water in the toilet frozen. Old house, no insulation. We moved soon after.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-15-2024 at 07:56 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

It's currently -2 F with wind chill bringing it down to -18 F.
    Girl dog, having spent most of her life in relatively temperate Bellingham, WA, is a bit upended by it. I think I saw her swear in a thought bubble when I took her out to potty yesterday AM. She's rapidly adapting to the idea of boots.

We had to put plastic up in the windows of my mom's hi-rise condo tonight as the wind was getting the better of her heating system.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 10.13.28 PM.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  38.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

No big deal to you guys up North but for us....yikes

This is well below our ASHRAE "design temperature" so many heating systems are struggling to keep up the next 24 hours...especially heat pumps which are normally reliable for us

Name:  cold snap january 24.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  72.6 KB
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    This is well below our ASHRAE "design temperature" so many heating systems are struggling to keep up the next 24 hours...especially heat pumps which are normally reliable for us

Name:  cold snap january 24.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  72.6 KB
    We are supposed to warm up to 20 starting tomorrow. I am looking forward to it. I am not laughing at you but a lot of my southern friends who always tells me they would like to see a little snow. It isn't like the Hallmark movies portray it.

I looked into heat pumps, and decided against it for this very reason.

I’m actually impressed with how well the heat pump is working here. Our low last night was 11, and it’s not having any problems keeping up in normal (not emergency) mode.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

The high today was 16 and supposed to be 0 for the low tonight in NW Alabama.

User Tag List