Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UBERTI 1873 TRAPPER CARBINE your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    Could you explain the "few real issues"?

Is a Miroku Winchester in .357 better?

Some of the Uberti guns have some glitches. I think theyve upped their game in the past decade or so, but Ive seen several older reports of barrels that didnt index in and torque correctly and were loc-tited in, that was probably 15 or so years ago. Screws are often mentioned as very soft, enough so that theres aftermarket sources for complete replacement screw sets for many Uberti guns, and the tab on the back of the loading gate, often called a ladle by many today, that can be reinforced or possibly replaced with an aftermarket part, i dont recall the details. So, small things that can be addressed, like screws and loading gate. Google "1873 loading gate" and you should find info on the cowboy action forums about it.

The Miroku I believe is better made in general, no screw issues, possibly the same issue with loading gate, again, its been a couple years, and i think can be modified to help it. Not enough difference to be earthshaking, I just prefer Miroku guns if its a choice and practical.

If I wanted a specific model type and a Miroku wasnt available or was insanely expensive Id get a Uberti, probably in the Cimarron name. They are generally felt to be a little better finished and they have cooler barrel markings than standard Ubertis. I want an 1866 carbine at some point, Miroku didnt make any carbines, Uberti/Cimarron is the logical choice.

I will just say if you decide to get a Miroku 73 and find an example for sale in your budget, absolutely do not hesitate or it will likely be gone pretty quickly. They made only limited numbers of most models and there may not be any more.

One personal gripe, Uberti mounts the carbine front sights on the barrel band. It was done by Winchester for a short time then they got smart and mounted a stud silver brazed to the barrel with a blade pinned it it. I hugely dislike the sight on the band, but it doesnt seem to bother others. I had a 22 so made and it was a big pain in the arse if it got bumped and the zero changed. Id look into getting a proper sight stud mounted if i had an Uberti carbine. You might get by with drilling the band and barrel for a pin to help keep it indexed. Smith barrel pins or Ruger rear sight pins may work for that. If its a range toy it may not matter. My stuff goes out in the hills, I want to know its on zero if it gets dropped or falls over when leaned against a rock or tree and the dog gets rambunctious or whatever.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-14-2024 at 11:02 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    Could you explain the "few real issues"?

Is a Miroku Winchester in .357 better?
    There's some discussion starting with this post in the lever guns thread.

EDIT: And I see @Malamute types faster than I!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    There's some discussion starting with this post in the lever guns thread.

EDIT: And I see @Malamute types faster than I!
    I think Karl, in the youtube embedded in linked post, is a bit biased against Marlin/Henry, not wrong but just favors the Winchester.

Think Malamute or others here have talked about the remedy or preventive action re Marlin jam. Though can't find link, also lots of talk about it on more levergun focused forums.

I know my local gunsmiith buddy likes Henry a lot, and from what he's said they are design wise pretty much a Marlin.

I really want a 1873 or 3 of them, but don't see downsides of Marlin/Henry for anything except perhaps competition? Currently only levergun in house is gf's Marlin 336Y, though plan on at least one or two 1873's eventually. I really like the 16" leverguns.

I know couple LEO that ether used Marlin 30-30 as patrol rifles or had coworkers who did successfully as in shots fired not just carried.

Based on what DB and BehindBlueI's https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ter-Gun-Fights have said I don't think the superiority of 1873 for rate of fire matters outside of competition.

Edited for many typos, can't type today probably because of the -30 windchill!

In for more pics

My 16" m92
    Name:  IMG_20221211_142316~2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  61.1 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I think Karl, in the youtube embedded in linked post, is a bit biased against Marlin/Henry, not wrong but just favors the Winchester.

Think Malamute or others here have talked about the remedy or preventive action re Marlin jam. Though can't find link, also lots of talk about it on more levergun focused forums.

I know my local gunsmiith buddy likes Henry a lot, and from what he's said they are design wise pretty much a Marlin.

I really want a 1873 or 3 of them, but don't see downsides of Marlin/Henry for anything except perhaps competition? Currently only levergun in house is gf's Marlin 336Y, though plan on at least one or two 1873's eventually. I really like the 16" leverguns.

I know couple LEO that ether used Marlin 30-30 as patrol rifles or had coworkers who did successfully as in shots fired not just carried.

Based on what DB and BehindBlueI's https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ter-Gun-Fights have said I don't think the superiority of 1873 for rate of fire matters outside of competition.

Agreed, Karl is coming at it from a primarily competition viewpoint/bias and every lever action design has it's own fleas. It's just a matter of your primary use case and which fleas you're willing to live with. Eventually™ I'm going to break down and pul my .357 Marlin apart and address the issues that can cause the Marlin Jam but it only comes out of the safe every couple of years when I fondle it and wonder "why don't I ever take this to the range?". It doesn't like .38 SWC but I never seem to remember to bring any RN loads in .38 or .357 when I do take it out. I think I need to make that happen sooner rather than later.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post

My interest in marlins waned after having a few weird glitches, one of which was the Marlin Jam with a 357 carbine in the 80s, but had never heard of in those days, it simply jammed up tightly for no obvious reason and required tools to clear. It never happened again, but it somewhat concerned me. I never worked on one to address the marlin jam, I was pretty much done with them by the time I ever heard the term. I also very much liked how Winchesters worked with regards to either single loading a small game round or clearing the chamber and leaving the magazine loaded. Its much easier to do with Winchesters. Some other odd things happened, and hadnt ever happened with various Winchester types. They are fine for most uses, just not of interest to me.

I have little interest in competition, or trying to shoot extremely fast, though do like the general reliability Ive had with the various Winchester models, primarily 94s, with several original Winchester and Browning 1886s and a Browning 92, as well as a couple Browning 95s that I didnt have long or shoot much. The magazine wasnt conducive to hand carry as much as the tube mags are. Cool guns, just werent working out well for my uses. I decided if I wanted a 30-06 Id use a scoped bolt gun.

In my use Ive had more functional problems with Marlins than Winchesters. Ive also had more functional problems with AKs and Mausers than Winchesters. Obviously YMMV. Dont dry fire them, dont try to make them operate at crazy speeds, and they seem to pretty much last forever.

When functioning properly they dont have to be operated roughly to work, nor is it required or even a good idea to only partially load rounds in the gate. The gate should be easy to load, if its not, it can and should be fixed.

One thing about the 73s that stands out to me, loading through the gate is so slick and smooth its hard to believe. 86s are similar. ts like the difference between power steering and not power steering.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-14-2024 at 01:09 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Following with interest.

What's the best closed emitter red dot choice for one and does it take Glock mags?

I almost choked until I saw the bottom half of your post.😃

Site Supporter
    The new Ruger Marlin copies have resolved any shortcomings of the Marlin design--according to the other fudd dudes with whom I correspond. One is a machinist with advanced skills who speaks from experience. Some overlook the fact that the Marlin lever rifles were designed and sold as hunting rifles and not for action type competition. The infamous "Marlin jam" is easily remedied--and prevented. I never experienced one with my rifles probably because I was lucky.

I’ve read that one should stick with mild loads in .45 Colt 73 clones but the .357s can handle whatever. Are both those points true?

User Tag List