Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Post office parking lot is prohibited. Not sure if strip mall post office parking would be.
    My local PO has nearby parking on public streets. I still prefer the satellite off at back of the hardware store.
    This is my understanding as well; if the PO owns the land, the parking lot is a prohibited area. Otherwise (strip mall) it’s just the Post Office building itself.

I had to get an accident report at my local PD records office the other day. I thought about this topic there as well. Not going inside with a firearm obviously but I wondered if the ‘no guns in the parking lot’ rule applied. I’ll have to go find out what my local LEO guidelines are for this.

My small local post office (one postmaster and one delivery person who runs the rural route) has never been posted.
    They don't give a shit if you are carrying.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    My small local post office (one postmaster and one delivery person who runs the rural route) has never been posted.
    They don't give a shit if you are carrying.
    I don't know of any PO's that have no gun signs... it's still against the law... just like there aren't any "No Murder" signs when you enter Chicago city limits.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I'm sure the folks in my small local (Idaho) Post Office wouldn't care personally, but I still park on the street and leave the gun in the car. The property thing is very annoying since the drive-through box is on their property. I have, on occasion, forgotten but remain a free man today.

The parking lot deal is asinine and idiotic, I’d love to see at least that get fixed. The .gov can suck my nuts with stupid shit like that…

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    The parking lot deal is asinine and idiotic, I’d love to see at least that get fixed. The .gov can suck my nuts with stupid shit like that…
    Fortunately, you didn't make your point in an idiotic or asinine manner.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    The .gov can suck my nuts with stupid shit like that…
    IMO, that's never a good stance to take when breaking a law that can land you in the slam for a dime stretch.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Can’t you leave it in the car? Or is the post office land forbidden as well?

The post office I use is in a public strip mall, not owned by the government. So I assume that would not be an issue.
    Fair question because I didn’t provide enough info. You can’t park on the road our little post office is on and there’s not even a shoulder. The only nearby parking is in the PO parking lot. As others have subsequently noted, if PO owns it, it’s prohibited.

The employees at our PO are superb — friendly, they know everyone, and they go above and beyond. Given what they deliver to me, including SAF mail and assorted magazines, and where things are going that I drop off, they know what the story is. I suspect they’re very supportive, and wouldn’t narc on me. But existing law is the law, and my fashion and beauty consultants agree that orange is not a good color for me and detracts from my natural beauty.

I've been doing it illegally all these years by using the drive thru to deposit mail. I usually just left the heater in the console when I went in. I parked in a place where I could see the car from inside the PO. So I was doing it illegally in both situations.

Which brings up another question. Is it just pistols/revolvers that are illegal on USPS property or all firearms. Must be the former because how else could you mail a rifle or shotgun?

I stopped using the USPS to ship long guns anyway. They aren't able to understand their own postal regulations. I thought they were going to call a swat team the last time I mailed a shotgun.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"Put the envelope on the ground and slowly back away..."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List