Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

Site Supporter

Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ban...es-2024-01-13/

Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

Jan 13 (Reuters) - A federal judge in Florida on Friday ruled that a U.S. law that bars people from possessing firearms in post offices is unconstitutional, citing a landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling from 2022 that expanded gun rights.

U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle, an appointee of Republican former President Donald Trump in Tampa, reached that conclusion in dismissing part of an indictment charging a postal worker with illegally possessing a gun in a federal facility.

Mizelle said that charge violated Emmanuel Ayala's right to keep and bear arms under the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment, saying "a blanket restriction on firearms possession in post offices is incongruent with the American tradition of firearms regulation."

She declined to dismiss a separate charge for forcibly resisting arrest. Ayala's lawyer and a U.S. Justice Department spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment.

The decision marked the latest court decision declaring a gun restriction unconstitutional following the conservative-majority Supreme Court's June 2022 ruling in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen.

That ruling recognized for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to carry a handgun in public for self-defense. It also established a new test for assessing firearms laws, saying restrictions must be "consistent with this nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation."

Ayala, a U.S. Postal Service truck driver in Tampa, had a concealed weapons permit and kept a Smith & Wesson 9mm handgun in a fanny pack for self-defense, his lawyers said.

He was indicted after prosecutors said he brought the gun onto Postal Service property in 2012 and fled federal agents who tried to detain him.

He was charged under a statute that broadly prohibits possessing a firearm in a federal facility, including a post office.

Mizelle said that while post offices have existed since the nation's founding, federal law did not bar guns in government buildings until 1964 and post offices until 1972. No historical practice dating back to the 1700s justified the ban, she said.

Mizelle said allowing the federal government to restrict visitors from bringing guns into government facilities as a condition of admittance would allow it to "abridge the right to bear arms by regulating it into practical non-existence."

Excellent. Hopefully this will extend to national park buildings.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Yay! Is that effective nationwide or only in FL?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Excellent. Hopefully this will extend to national park buildings.
    I hope so too. That was the first place that popped into my mind.

IME, not all post offices are posted "no guns" in a manner that is easily recognized. I can think of one locally that isn't really posted at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Yay! Is that effective nationwide or only in FL?
    It was just a District Court ruling. It would need an appeals court ruling to be binding, and even then, it would just be in that circuit.

Generally, district court opinions are not binding on other district courts or on courts of appeals. The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals has made it clear, “A single district court decision . . . has little precedential effect [, and i]t is not binding on . . . other district judges in the same district.” Other circuits agree.
    @vcdgrips can correct me if I’m wrong.

Mostly I think they're posted to keep employees from shooting co-workers. I've never experienced patrons of the local US post office being agitated. I did however hear a USPS employee threatening to shoot someone.

I always liked the fact that I didn't work in an office. We always joked about the building evacuations and orders to not enter the building at the end of our shift. We had one guy in mind that was likely to go postal. When we got the word we always wondered if Fred (not his real name) had gone postal.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-13-2024 at 09:12 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    It was just a District Court ruling. It would need an appeals court ruling to be binding, and even then, it would just be in that circuit.

@vcdgrips can correct me if I’m wrong.
    This ^^^ is my understanding as well.

If this starts becoming a thing and some of the appeals courts uphold it, that would be terrific. I rarely go to the post office, and when I do it’s usually to ship something to someone on P-F, ship a slide for milling, etc. F**ks up my routine as I have to degun, drive to the post office, drive back home, regun, and then finally be on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    If this starts becoming a thing and some of the appeals courts uphold it, that would be terrific. I rarely go to the post office, and when I do it’s usually to ship something to someone on P-F, ship a slide for milling, etc. F**ks up my routine as I have to degun, drive to the post office, drive back home, regun, and then finally be on my way.
    Can’t you leave it in the car? Or is the post office land forbidden as well?

The post office I use is in a public strip mall, not owned by the government. So I assume that would not be an issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Can’t you leave it in the car? Or is the post office land forbidden as well?

The post office I use is in a public strip mall, not owned by the government. So I assume that would not be an issue.
    Post office parking lot is prohibited. Not sure if strip mall post office parking would be.
    My local PO has nearby parking on public streets. I still prefer the satellite off at back of the hardware store.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List