Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 21 Gen 5 w/ C&H Duty RDO. Very Impressed.

Gen 3 Glocks are the least likely Glocks I'm inclined to dispose of; mine (a G17, G19 and G21) are exceptionally reliable, well vetted, and more than acceptably accurate. And they have the older Tenifer undercoating and "frying pan" matte overcoat finish, which has holded up exceptionally well.

I don't doubt that there are quantifiable improvements with the Gen5 Glocks, as I'm currently experiencing with my Gen5 G23, but the Gen 3's are excellent guns in their own right.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Man, the OP is really making me rethink my vote the next time another “if only one gun” thread comes up.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Schools were shut down due to blizzard warnings, and kids were driving me nuts so it was a good day to take a mental health break and go to the range, even if it was snowing, the wind was blowing and the temps were in the single digits!

I did have to do a little shovel work first..
    Nice write-up and pics on the G21, and great shooting in the cold. We've been in this same blizzard, though a bit southwest of you, I think--spent 3 hours digging out yesterday. You inspired me to get out to the range and keep shooting in the cold, I'll probably head to Parma.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Gen 3 Glocks are the least likely Glocks I'm inclined to dispose of; mine (a G17, G19 and G21) are exceptionally reliable, well vetted, and more than acceptably accurate. And they have the older Tenifer undercoating and "frying pan" matte overcoat finish, which has holded up exceptionally well.

I don't doubt that there are quantifiable improvements with the Gen5 Glocks, as I'm currently experiencing with my Gen5 G23, but the Gen 3's are excellent guns in their own right.

Best, Jon
    If I had Gen 3 Glock 21s I would not get rid of them. As it is, I have three Gen 4's and two Gen 5's. Yet still, for some reason I'd kind of like to get a Gen 3 G21SF. Maybe because I have a feeling Glock will discontinue the Gen 4 and only produce the Gen 3 SF and Gen 5, much like they did with their 9mm and .40 versions, and I feel like it might be a bit easier to source replacement parts for a Gen 3 G21SF.

Name:  G21.5.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  103.0 KB

G21 night load-out

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Name:  G21.5.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  103.0 KB

G21 night load-out
    Very nice. How many rounds do you have through yours, and when did you get it?

Very nice. How many rounds do you have through yours, and when did you get it?
    I only have 250 rds of Win 185 FMJ through it so far but I'm liking it a lot. I've been getting into 45 ACP after shooting only 9mm for 10 years. I picked up an HK 45, M&P 45 2.0 and this Gen 5 21. All three are great but the 21 just might be my favorite.

Vending Machine Operator
    I keep telling myself I don't need a G21 because I have a G17.5 MOS and a G22.5 MOS, and my M&P45 2.0 is one of my best guns, but the part of my brain that likes completing collections is struggling.

I don't have an optics-ready .45 yet...and I did just get a new job...the excuses are there if I use them.

Nice writeup and even better shooting, Lost River.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thoughts on a G5 21 vs a G5 22/23 as a launcher of penetrator field loads?
    GJM,

I think the Gen 5 22/23 has some very serious merit as a field gun, especially with the right load. I was just discussing this with a friend, and I really want to try a G22.5. The reports about the lighter recoil from the heavier slide may just make it a big time contender. I have been carrying my 22.3 quite a bit this last season with the hot poly-coated 170 SWC at 1200 FPS. It shot so well, accuracy wise that I just began using it more and more for a daily all around carry gun. If that load shot well in the Gen 5s, then I think it would be a big time winner.

I don't (most people don't) shoot anywhere close to as fast (or as frequently/as much) as you do, so while I can shoot the G21s accurately enough at a decent pace and same with the G22s, I think at your performance level, literally any little thing that gives an edge would matter. A smaller frame size is likely to be beneficial for you. How much this really may matter in an actual DLP event, I could not say.

Most people who are looking for an outdoor carry gun/ammo are definitely in the category of shooting less than 1 or 2 thousand rounds per month. You are way outside the curve there! I think the soft shooting characteristics of the .45 in the G21.5 may be really advantageous for many people. By all reports, it is a very soft shooter, and the G21 has always been a gun that has been known to for that in general.

I know that the G21 has been for me ultra reliable with big heavy slugs. It is easy to shoot well, and those big heavy bullets are hard to stop. It is a formula that has worked for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Lost River:

I didn't realize that our good friends at Milt Sparks can cut a Summer Special for an optically sighted Glock 21. That suggests I give them a call to see if they can do up a Summer Special 2 for a dot sighted Hi Power.

Another advantage for the Glocks is that in truly cold weather, they seem to be less painful to handle. I spent just short of two hours clearing my driveway of snow yesterday. Temps were about -10 degrees F. I was carrying a stainless Colt Competition in a 1AT under my over parka, and it was truly cold when I took it off when I went inside for a cup of tea. I should have grabbed a photo but it was too damn cold to monkey around with a camera yesterday.

Stay warm, brother!

Bruce
    Yep, they are great cold weather guns. I have carried my in extremely cold weather.

This is a shot from dragging a meat sled in to retrieve elk quarters. No shortage of big Canadians wolves around as well as mountain lions and whatever else.

I have also waded through the snow back to the truck on a Jackrabbit safari to retrieve my Glock 21 before. I had been carrying a Model 29-2. But I took a tumble into the snow. It was sub zero, and I was weaing the typical layers. I had a Goretex shell on over my down jacket. My .44 Mag was in a El Paso Saddlery Tanker rig over my jacket, but under my Goretex shell. The shell was unzipped as I had been sweating from post-holing walking through the deep snow. When I fell the snow got in between my jacket and my outer layer and the revolver got covered.

Long story short, the revolver was just warm enough that the snow turned to ice and froze the action up. It was locked up hard.

Here is pics from just a bit later,

But long story short, I had to go back to the truck, start it and put the revolver on the dash with the defroster going to thaw it out, to get it functioning again. While that was happening, I grabbed my G21.3 and a couple mags and went back out for another loop through the snow and sagebrush.

The G21 ran like it always did, it just always goes, no matter the conditions.

So speaking of rabbits..

I have to tell this story. This was not the same trip. It was actually the same area, just a few miles away. My buddy and I were coyote hunting. Came back from an unsuccessful calling set. We were standing at the truck and I see a jackrabbit a good little ways out there. I tell him " I am going to shoot that rabbit in the head". He kind of chuckles. So I draw my 21.3 put the front sight a little high and boom. Dang thing drops. I holster my gun.

I didn't want him to think I was as shocked as he was, I go walking out there with my laser range finder. 63 yards back to the truck..

I did not shoot at anything else that day. I knew there was NO WAY I could do that twice LOL..

User Tag List