Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Glock 21 Gen 5 w/ C&H Duty RDO. Very Impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The 325 Poly WFNs. If anyone needs to shoot completely through a whale btw...
    Side to side or lengthwise?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

As posted in the .45 acp thread, this is my target from 7 yards yesterday with a stock G21 Gen 5 (Factory sights). Not my best work, but my point is that I bet with a RDO it could improve, especially at more distance.
    Name:  G21 8shot Group 21ft 1-20-24.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  39.3 KB

There are so many holsters that it may be hard to say from maker to maker. I do know that my Milt Sparks 55BN that was built for my Gen 3, fits my Gen 5 w/o optic. I am having a Summer Special made up for the G21.5 that will accommodate the C&H Duty RDO. As soon as I handled that gun with the RDO, I knew I was going to carry it a lot, so a call was made.
    Since you will be carrying your own Lost River Ammo which is a bit spicy are you going to stay with the stock spring?
    I havent had a lot of luck finding a heavier spring for my Glock 45 for shooting your Predator Penatrator load.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Since you will be carrying your own Lost River Ammo which is a bit spicy are you going to stay with the stock spring?
    I havent had a lot of luck finding a heavier spring for my Glock 45 for shooting your Predator Penatrator load.
    The short version is "Yes" I am sticking with the stock G21.5 recoil spring for the heavy 250 grain load.

Now for a bit longer version.

The 250 grain +P 45 ACP was developed using a Gen 3 G21, among other .45s. I developed it using stock springs. FRESH stock springs. The load is designed to run in standard service size semi autos with their standard RSAs. That said, I run a 20# spring in my Gen 3 pretty regularly, as I find it tames down the recoil just a bit and my shot to shot recovery time is just a little quicker.

With the Gen 5 I noted that the recoil spring felt stiffer/stronger than the Gen 5. I don't know what the weight is, I was just going off of feel. In shooting the heavy loads through the gun, observing the recoil characteristics, my shot to shot recovery time and overall feel, I saw no reason to change out the RSA from the standard recoil spring. It seems to run both heavy as well as lighter loads perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Side to side or lengthwise?

Ha!

Well I can tell you that they definitely are big old chunks of lead!

Most critters are not going to shrug one off.

Ha!

Most MRAPs are not going to shrug one off.
    Fixed that.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Friends,

Been crazy busy with various projects. That said, I have been carrying the Gen 5 G21 w/C&H RDO pretty much every day. The Milt Sparks Summer Special that is cut for optics came in so carrying it IWB has been very nice. Love it.

Went out yesterday to the range for a bit, as I had to test another load. While I was there I ran some Blazer 230 grain ball ammo I had on hand through the G21.

At 25 yards offhand, it put them into a fairly decent cluster at 25 yards, at least for me and not having shot for a bit.

They went into about a 4" cluster.

I had already tested the gun at 50 yards and knew it was a serious tackdriver. Much more accurate in fact than a good number of 1911s I have shot. So just for kicks I put 10 rounds in the mag and backed off to 100 yards. I sat down and put the gun between my knees in a rested position.

I shot all the rounds into the target, aiming dead center. Thought I fired 10 rounds, but forgot about the 1 round in the chamber, so it ended up being an 11 round group.

I dropped one round out into the -3 or "d" zone, but otherwise it was a pretty decent group (for me). The red dot made it super easy. The Blaser ball, for pretty cheap ammo did well. Very light recoil, and I have chronographed it before. It is only running in the mid 700s. You can really hammer fast with it if one needed to. Not my first choice for many things but for cheap practice stuff, it is not bad at all.

The Gen 5 and C&H RDO continue to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    This is p-f, "suffice" is a relative term.... More seriously, while there's absolutely nothing wrong with my Gen 3 G21, if a Gen5 is just as accurate and easier/more natural to shoot, I'll give it a hard look. Particularly if I win a GSSF gun certificate in 2024. Regardless, my Gen 3 is going nowhere, as it's too good and fully vetted. Best, Jon
    After reading this thread i wanted a Gen5 21, but the feeding issues from shooters of this platform gave me pause. But that bug was still biting me, so I ended up purchasing a Gen4 21. Still got my Gen3 21 and planning to keep it. I still may get a Gen5 21 down the road. For now the Gen 4 21 has scratched that itch.

Went out again today.

The weather was, well, normal. It is that time of year where it is blowing snow or sunny or hailing, or all of the above. Ends up it was blowing hard and I chased a USPSA target a couple times after I slid through the mud and the snow..

But anyways, I shot from the seated position with the G21.5 braced between my legs at 50 yards. Pretty solid position. Kept them all on a paper plate, barely. The guns shoots far tighter groups, than I do, I know that.

The gun and C&H RDO combo is definitely a solid combo. I like the enclosed emitter design for the cruddy weather I was in today. It was not really much of a test, but still, I had zero weather related issues.

Definitely will continue to carry and use the G21.5.

I think the G21s in general are probably the best all around choice for an outdoors big bore semi auto.

Big heavy .44 and .45 caliber bullets launched at a moderate pace have been dropping man and beast for well over a hundred years. It is simply a proven concept.

Maybe I should buy a G21.5 MOS instead of a Lipseys snubby...

User Tag List