Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 21 Gen 5 w/ C&H Duty RDO. Very Impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    This thread and a couple others have me wondering about the difference in the recoil between the 40 and 45. I have some of the 170 grain 40s but haven’t shot any yet. These threads have me seriously considering getting a M&P45, especially if it might be more controllable than the 40.
    It may be different for different people, but a G21 has noticeably less recoil and muzzle flip in my hands vs a .40 such as a G22, or at least it feels like it. This seems to be supported by the fact that I objectively shoot .45 better, when measured by accuracy and splits. I’ve always found .40’s recoil to be snappy and slightly more difficult to control compared to .45 in a G21 or USP, particularly in rapid fire strings. It’s my understanding from GJM and others that the Gen 5 .40 Glocks have successfully remedied this issue, but I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot a Gen 5 in .40 S&W.

I guess I really don’t have much use for .40, though obviously it’s a well performing cartridge. For outdoors use I’d rather Lost Hills’ 250gr hard cast +P load, and if I felt the need to bump it up even more I’d just load my USP 45 with .45 Super.

Site Supporter
    Dang...I've really gotta pick up a G21.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    It may be different for different people, but a G21 has noticeably less recoil and muzzle flip in my hands vs a .40 such as a G22, or at least it feels like it. This seems to be supported by the fact that I objectively shoot .45 better, when measured by accuracy and splits. I’ve always found .40’s recoil to be snappy and slightly more difficult to control compared to .45 in a G21 or USP, particularly in rapid fire strings. It’s my understanding from GJM and others that the Gen 5 .40 Glocks have successfully remedied this issue, but I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot a Gen 5 in .40 S&W.

I guess I really don’t have much use for .40, though obviously it’s a well performing cartridge. For outdoors use I’d rather Lost Hills’ 250gr hard cast +P load, and if I felt the need to bump it up even more I’d just load my USP 45 with .45 Super.
    There is significant difference between the Gen 5 .40s and earlier generations.

You may also notice a difference between shooting a Glock 21 / 30 vs Glock 41/30s.

There is also noticeable differences between 180 green, 40 and lighter bullet loads, particularly 155s and 135s.

This and similar threads have me thinking that whenever I get around to buying my mandatory plastic pistol, it should be a G21 so it’s chambered for something I load for. Not only is it a G17 but in .45, it’s apparently a really damn good one.

Three questions. One, is carrying it appreciably different than concealing a G17; two, how is mag carrier compatibility with “Glock size” mag carriers; and the can of worms because I can pick LR’s brain, thoughts on the G21 and cast bullets?
    Last edited by Elwin; 01-15-2024 at 12:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    This and similar threads have me thinking that whenever I get around to buying my mandatory plastic pistol, it should be a G21 so it’s chambered for something I load for. Not only is it a G17 but in .45, it’s apparently a really damn good one.

Three questions. One, is carrying it appreciably different than concealing a G17; two, how is mag carrier comparability with “Glock size” mag carriers; and the can of worms because I can pick LR’s brain, thoughts on the G21 and cast bullets?
    The 21/30 are noticeably thicker than their 9mm counterparts.

is carrying it appreciably different than concealing a G17; two, how is mag carrier compatibility with “Glock size” mag carriers
    thicker as cited, to me the USP 45 and G21 are both doable in terms of IWB CCW but require more effort on my part, I could not make it work in a t-shirt, the G21 mags are larger circumference than the G17/22/19 size mags and require different, larger carriers in most cases
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    thicker as cited, to me the USP 45 and G21 are both doable in terms of IWB CCW but require more effort on my part, I could not make it work in a t-shirt, the G21 mags are larger circumference than the G17/22/19 size mags and require different, larger carriers in most cases
    I am able to conceal IWB a G21 or USP 45 FS at 4 o’clock with a good holster and belt as long as I’m at least wearing a dark color button up Columbia fishing shirt. I’m not a huge guy, and it’s the absolute max I’m able to reasonably conceal, but it’s doable. I’m carrying a USP 45 right now.

The G21 is a relatively large gun, but with a decent belt, holster and mag pouch(es) it's not that big of a deal to carry concealed. As mentioned, a darker shirt or a decent vest or jacket eases the job. While I generally prefer quality kydex, frankly the Glock Sport Combat polymer belt slide holster (Large for the G21) https://store.glock.us/glock-sport-combat-holster and the similar Large Glock polymer magazine pouch
    https://store.glock.us/magazine-pouch are really quite good OWB setups, and are flexible enough to snug against one's body nicely for concealability. At $14 and $10 respectively, they're an unbeatable value-especially as a starting point.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Three questions. One, is carrying it appreciably different than concealing a G17; two, how is mag carrier compatibility with “Glock size” mag carriers; and the can of worms because I can pick LR’s brain, thoughts on the G21 and cast bullets?
    I was issued and packed a G21 from 1993 to roughly 2018. In the early days, they gave us thumb break belt slide cheapo leather holsters. They worked for their intended purpose.

I carried SW 4500 from 98 to 2008 and 1911 from their but I still had my issued G21 and I would still shoot, qual and train with it.

I am one of those dudes who sometimes prefers waist pack (ok FANNY) and a G21 fit in there nicely.

G21 mags will not fit in 9mm Glock mag pouches.

In the 90s, I loaded for my G21 using 200 LSWC and 5.7 of 231. Every now and then I would reduce the charge and let the empties dance on top of the slide. Range use only. Never had an issue.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I have been waiting for the Gen 5 21 to come out. I really like my Gen 3, but the additional features of the Gen 5 make it a better gun for me.

Of course this thread has given me an even bigger case of the Wantsies.

However, since I am currently in Commiefornia, Gen 5 are tougher to get. I have no problem enjoying my current 21 until I leave in a few years. In the big scheme of things, I see moving from the 10mm to the .45 ACP as I get older. I love the 10mm, but I would rather have the easier shooting .45 at this point. I plan on having a Gen 3 fire sale once a get established in a better state.

Congrats on the new guns, they seem to be working out great!

User Tag List