Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 21 Gen 5 Reports (Also weird jam with mine)

I'd put 100 or so rounds through the 2 good magazines just to verify, than I'd call things good.

Joe Mac and HCM have called it. I'd disassemble the errant magazine, remove any stray flashing, re-assemble, and run several hundred rounds through it.

Even after that it's verified, I'd number the magazines and watch it carefully. If used for carry, it would be my last to be reloaded.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I have over 70 G21 mags, most unopened from their packaging, so I just tossed the questionable one, just in case. I’ll get another one to replace it at work tomorrow. Not worth messing with, especially for a carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I have over 70 G21 mags, most unopened from their packaging, so I just tossed the questionable one, just in case. I’ll get another one to replace it at work tomorrow. Not worth messing with, especially for a carry gun.
    Excellent move/decision.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

You're one of my people, I see... While I've fixed many ailing mags for the PD, when it comes to my use I own so many that I tend to just mark them with a sharpie and toss them into a practice bin -- because fixing and vetting them requires time, my time = money, and I've already spent a lot of money on mags!

I did isolate the magazine and will either relegate it to my beater/trainer G21 Gen 4, or simply trash it.
    This is a rare opertunity. Please consider fixing it before relegation, and let us know what you did and the results achieved. If you simply throw it into the training box, we will learn nothing and neither you nor anybody else will benefit from the incident. That would be a sadness.

Cordially,
    Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Especially if it's a high capacity magazine, and you're in a state that grandfathers but restricts future ownership. Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

I bought the first 21.5 I saw on the shelf. Took it out and had a very similar jam as you did with 230 grain +P HST. Manually running the slide it felt and looked like it was hanging up on the sharp edges of the feed ramp/barrel. I shot some more with 200 grain ball and it happened again. I called Glock and they wanted to look at it.

When it came back I couldn’t tell anything had been done to the feed ramp/barrel area so I called and asked what they found. They said the new 21’s were sprung really heavy and something about a new cover plate, the old one wasn’t letting the extractor work properly. Nothing said made sense to me but I took it out to try it and ran into a guy that noticed my grip was contacting the right side slide release. He said that has caused more than a few problems. I adjusted my grip and it has never happened again.

I still don’t know if it was the gun, ammo or me but it runs great now with everything I’ve fed it.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    I bought the first 21.5 I saw on the shelf. Took it out and had a very similar jam as you did with 230 grain +P HST. Manually running the slide it felt and looked like it was hanging up on the sharp edges of the feed ramp/barrel. I shot some more with 200 grain ball and it happened again. I called Glock and they wanted to look at it.

When it came back I couldn’t tell anything had been done to the feed ramp/barrel area so I called and asked what they found. They said the new 21’s were sprung really heavy and something about a new cover plate, the old one wasn’t letting the extractor work properly. Nothing said made sense to me but I took it out to try it and ran into a guy that noticed my grip was contacting the right side slide release. He said that has caused more than a few problems. I adjusted my grip and it has never happened again.

I still don’t know if it was the gun, ammo or me but it runs great now with everything I’ve fed it.
    That's the first time I've heard of this. For the record, I have at least 648 rounds through mine, and the stoppage I had only happened once. If you remember any more details about the cover plate I'd be very interested to hear.

Makes me wonder if there's a difference between the first Gen 5 G21s that came out and current production ones

I have another 1k rounds of Speer Lawman 230gr on the way. I do prefer to shoot factory loaded Lawman while I'm vetting a pistol for carry. Problem is, I'm down to only the case that's about to ship, and I have two G21 Gen5s to vet as well as a new HK45C.

Update: Today I shot my other G21 Gen 5 I purchased new. I had the exact same weird stoppage that my other G21 Gen 5 had detailed in the OP of this thread. It was using a completely different, fresh, magazine, and it did it on the 2nd to last round (12th). It's an oddly specific type of stoppage to happen on two different Gen 5 G21s using different mags that had functioned fine up until that happened. The round that did it was the 259th round of the range session, and it had 242 rounds in a previous range session through it before that. I shot another 45 rounds after the jam and it did not repeat. So it was the 600th or 601st round, which is very close to the round count my other G21 Gen 5 was at when it happened to it.

With all the Gen 3 and Gen 4 G21s I've owned and shot, I've always loaded all 13 rounds in the mag during range sessions and have never experienced this type of stoppage before. It makes me wonder if something that was tweaked with the Gen 5 makes it more susceptible for some reason. To be clear, though, both had gone over 500 rounds before this happened, and with both guns it only happened once (but both only had a few mags run through them afterwards).

Here are pics, these were taken today:
    Name:  g21 Gen 5 #2 Jam Pic 1.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  32.6 KB
    Name:  g21 Gen 5 #2 Jam Pic 2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  31.3 KB
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 01-27-2024 at 04:47 PM.

User Tag List