Thread: Barrel clamp affects accuracy?

Barrel clamp affects accuracy?

I've never used a barrel clamp on a mag tube as it just got in the way as much as anything else, particularly during cleanings.

Considering a longer Nordic extension so I thought I would reassess the things. My 1301 really shoots the 1300fps Truball load well, most of all I don't want to mess with the zero.

Of course this is no thin barreled .243, just how sensitive are slug loads to the clamp being removed and replaced?

Nordic suggests you loosen the tube up to one complete turn to allow the tube to "float". Sounds odd, I wonder if it works?

Finally, does it bring any significant increase in sturdiness to a 2-3 round extension that will not extend past the muzzle?

Thanks...
    My apologies to weasels.

With the Nordic tube, the only one I have any experience with, if you don't leave the tube loose it will not allow the clamp to fit properly. Tightening down all the way will force the clamp to bend the extension and barrel together to fit within the clamp which might change the POI but the barrel is much stiffer than the extension... Either way, it seems like a better idea to just leave the extension loose a turn.

Did some research on some 3 Gun competition sites. Opinions on this are... varied. All the way from "it's all fine" to LARGE changes in zero. The 1301 was mentioned a lot in the second category.

So, I put a Nordic tube and clamp on a 1301T (following the advice to loosen the tube) and it truly made the slugs an inconsistent crap shoot of where the zero was. I was unable to check patterning (no buckshot allowed on this indoor range) but that hardly mattered considering how I much I had to change the Aimpoint settings to get the slugs even close to where the POA was. The gun shot very high (about 7 inches at 25 yds) and had about 4 inch groups at that range. Tried Truball and two Brenneke loads with equally poor results. It was awful.

I've removed the clamp and hope to test fire again today.
    My apologies to weasels.

The clamp can also create an issue where the follower must transition from extension to magazine.
    Once I changed some things around, and tested things at skeet, but when I went to preload at three gun I couldn't load past the mag tube until I took the clamp off.

It’s 100% a real thing. Speaking from experience as a former 3gunner. When I got my Benelli M2 with race package from RAS I got a clamp from them that clamps to the tube, but is open on the barrel side allowing it to float, while still providing protection against the mag tube being broken off.

This is the part: https://moaprecisionllc.com/product/...ne-tube-brace/

Also as noted, over-tightening a mag tube clamp can create loading/feeding issues. Stick a little piece of skateboard tape to the insides of the clamp to give it a little friction and keep it from sliding under recoil and marking up the tube and/or barrel.

Here’s what the clamp looks like on my gun:

Name:  IMG_3054.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0880.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  91.6 KB
    Last edited by ASH556; 01-28-2024 at 11:37 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Took the clampless 1301 out to test. One ragged hole at 25 yards now with about every 4th round being about 1 inch out which might be me. Ferderal low recoil Truball was the best. Zeroing slugs does get old fast, even with "low recoil". Sample of one shotgun of course but for this one, the clamp stays off.

I saw others recommending that floating clamp product, looks interesting. I note it has a spot to mount a sling swivel. Any experience (@Ash556) with the clamp trying to rotate the mag tube with the stresses of a sling attached to it?
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Took the clampless 1301 out to test. One ragged hole at 25 yards now with about every 4th round being about 1 inch out which might be me. Ferderal low recoil Truball was the best. Zeroing slugs does get old fast, even with "low recoil". Sample of one shotgun of course but for this one, the clamp stays off.

I saw others recommending that floating clamp product, looks interesting. I note it has a spot to mount a sling swivel. Any experience (@Ash556) with the clamp trying to rotate the mag tube with the stresses of a sling attached to it?
    No, but it probably would. I wouldn’t use it for that purpose.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List