Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Overthinking 1911 grip panels

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Im the opposite. I absolutely hate having bits and pieces of stuff laying around. I have a small box now with a bunch of random crap. FAL wood handguards, some kind of waffle 556 mag...maybe an Aug..IDK?

So what i do if something doesnt quite work for me is instead of trying a bunch of different accessories I simply trade in the gun for something else. Im not going to keep throwing money at something hoping the next accessory is going to work. Or, Ill only buy it if it has everything I already know and want.
    1911 stocks/grips are eminently replaceable. Trading off an otherwise good 1911 because you're not happy with the grips seems short sighted, like not seeing the forest for the trees.

It's common practice for me to swap out the nice looking grips that come on a 1911 for simple checkered wood, rubber, or VCD grips because they are more functional. Much better than getting rid of a good gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I knock my gun grips into interior door frames and we drive small Ford Explorers. Will the VCD grips rip car seat material backings?
    VCD's grips definitely have a reputation for being aggressive but I don't think they're that aggressive. Regardless, they're polymer, so they are softer than the G10 grips you've already been using and would seem less likely to damage things as a result. I carry concealed so I don't have my grips contacting things out in the world like you do, but I can also say they aren't ripping up my clothes after years carrying them between two layers (I always have a layer of clothing on that's under the gun in addition to the cover garment over it). That includes some relatively nice or "delicate" clothing like wool sweaters and dress shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    1911 stocks/grips are eminently replaceable. Trading off an otherwise good 1911 because you're not happy with the grips seems short sighted, like not seeing the forest for the trees.

It's common practice for me to swap out the nice looking grips that come on a 1911 for simple checkered wood, rubber, or VCD grips because they are more functional. Much better than getting rid of a good gun.
    No interest in trying out accessory after accessory (for anything) until something works. Meanwhile sitting on a pile of useless crap i cant get my money back on. The gun may be good and functional but its useless if I have to keep buying parts to see if I like it! Ive traded off, for this specific reason, Sigs, 1911s, ARs, AKs, and probably a bunch more I cant think of at the moment.

On the other hand, if I can see it in person, touch it, feel it, hold it before buying then thats a different situation, In this case i dont mind spending the money on the accessory or maybe buying the gun without that specific part.

Site Supporter
    Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    No interest in trying out accessory after accessory (for anything) until something works. Meanwhile sitting on a pile of useless crap i cant get my money back on. The gun may be good and functional but its useless if I have to keep buying parts to see if I like it! Ive traded off, for this specific reason, Sigs, 1911s, ARs, AKs, and probably a bunch more I cant think of at the moment.

On the other hand, if I can see it in person, touch it, feel it, hold it before buying then thats a different situation, In this case i dont mind spending the money on the accessory or maybe buying the gun without that specific part.
    To be sure, some of this is almost purely aesthetic, as I don't think any manufacturer offers a 1911 that comes with high end mammoth ivory stocks installed. There is a little, or more than a little, passion of the gun involved.

For pure utility's sake, I could've gone with these stocks:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/gun-parts...uger-logo.html

...which are probably the best utility-per-$ I've seen. But in my choice, I was able to get both aesthetic and utility. Everyone's happy place will look a little different.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The right set are Pearce, the left, Uncle Mike's.
    Someone relieved to Pearce set for an ambi safety.

If anyone needs these, pay for the shipping and they are available.

Name:  IMG_20240213_152025063_HDR.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  81.4 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List