Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Super Wrangler Opinions

Ruger Super Wrangler Opinions

I have an interest in a .22 single action revolver and have not found much info here on the Ruger Super Wrangler. Due to the price of the Single Six these days...that's out unless I find a great deal on a used one. Is this cheaper Ruger a reduced price copy of the Single Six? Looks like it to me but I'm not very dialed in on these guns.

On the surface, it certainly looks like a more economical way to get a decent quality SA .22.

Opinions...?

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along shortly...

I do not have one yet and in my limited research I found over on the Ruger forums where a guy changed out the frame to a Bisley grip and swapped in a hammer and trigger(?) off of a single-six. So parts are interchangeable but not all parts. These appear to be extremely accurate in .22 mag. My local gun shop cant keep them on the shelf.

Mine is pretty accurate with Mini Mags. Some where on the forum is a pic of a 25 yard B8 with a decent group

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Mine is pretty accurate with Mini Mags. Some where on the forum is a pic of a 25 yard B8 with a decent group
    Would you say it's worth the money as a plinker? I don't expect amazing accuracy but you know it needs to be ok. Say at least 2"- 3" at 10 yds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Would you say it's worth the money as a plinker? I don't expect amazing accuracy but you know it needs to be ok. Say at least 2"- 3" at 10 yds or so.
    Name:  IMG_0149.jpeg
Views: 322
Size:  80.3 KB
    25 yards with Mini Mags

Name:  IMG_0150.jpeg
Size:  48.2 KB

Magnum cylinder, 40 grain CCI I think. Also at 25

Name:  IMG_0151.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  67.6 KB

Post-sight adjustments. Mini mags at 25. The two holes above are from another gun.

Heck of a shooter for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Name:  IMG_0149.jpeg
Size:  80.3 KB
    25 yards with Mini Mags

Name:  IMG_0150.jpeg
Size:  48.2 KB

Magnum cylinder, 40 grain CCI I think. Also at 25

Name:  IMG_0151.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  67.6 KB

Post-sight adjustments. Mini mags at 25. The two holes above are from another gun.

Heck of a shooter for the money.
    I agree, of course a lot has to do with the shooter. 25 yd groups like that with irons are pretty much history for me.

Do they have any type crown on those muzzles?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I have an interest in a .22 single action revolver and have not found much info here on the Ruger Super Wrangler. Due to the price of the Single Six these days...that's out unless I find a great deal on a used one. Is this cheaper Ruger a reduced price copy of the Single Six?
    I handled, but did not shoot, one this afternoon just so I could try and enable help you out.

Having had several Single Sixes over the years the Super Wrangler initially sort of felt like a "value rated" Single Six. It certainly lacks the heft of my 1968 Super Single Six but the more I handed it and thought about it, the idea of picking one up eventually is growing on me. IIRC the one I handled was $280+tax at a shop that is normally right at MSRP on everything and I really don't think even that price is out of line. It's certainly not out of line for a Ruger .22. I'm not sure you could even get a total basket case Single Six for that anymore.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I handled, but did not shoot, one this afternoon just so I could try and enable help you out.

Having had several Single Sixes over the years the Super Wrangler initially sort of felt like a "value rated" Single Six. It certainly lacks the heft of my 1968 Super Single Six but the more I handed it and thought about it, the idea of picking one up eventually is growing on me. IIRC the one I handled was $280+tax at a shop that is normally right at MSRP on everything and I really don't think even that price is out of line. It's certainly not out of line for a Ruger .22. I'm not sure you could even get a total basket case Single Six for that anymore.
    I know I was totally shocked at the current MSRP for the Single-Six. Last time I looked at one I want to say they were a little under $300. I never had much interest back then because 45LC wasn't outrageously expensive. From what I'm hearing and reading, I don't think the more expensive Single-Six would do anything I need better than it's budget sibling.

You probably should pick one up

The Super Wrangler is definitely a Single-Six variant that is less expensive due to less labor being used for cosmetics (much less polishing and a Cerakote finish). Things like grips are also different, but the revolver is essentially a Single-Six. The parts do interchange with parts from the six-shot New Model Single-Six. With the Cerakote finish, one could argue the finish is much more durable than the blued Single-Six and more subdued than the stainless Single-Six. Like all convertible .22LR/.22WMR revolvers, the bore has been drilled and rifled for the larger .22 WMR round. That means precision with the .22 LR is likely not going to be target-grade. Just like the Single-Six.

I was lucky enough some time ago to get a very lightly used Single-Six for $350. If I could not have done that, I would have no issues purchasing a new Super Wrangler after owning two Wranglers.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The Super Wrangler is definitely a Single-Six variant that is less expensive due to less labor being used for cosmetics (much less polishing and a Cerakote finish). Things like grips are also different, but the revolver is essentially a Single-Six. The parts do interchange with parts from the six-shot New Model Single-Six. With the Cerakote finish, one could argue the finish is much more durable than the blued Single-Six and more subdued than the stainless Single-Six. Like all convertible .22LR/.22WMR revolvers, the bore has been drilled and rifled for the larger .22 WMR round. That means precision with the .22 LR is likely not going to be target-grade. Just like the Single-Six.

I was lucky enough some time ago to get a very lightly used Single-Six for $350. If I could not have done that, I would have no issues purchasing a new Super Wrangler after owning two Wranglers.
    2 Wranglers...why'd you let them do? Were they duds?

User Tag List