Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “General Purpose” 9mm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have run the PMC 115 in several blow back PCCs with reliable function, but before I bought a big supply I would buy a few boxes of what you are interested in, and try them in your various 9mm firearms.
    FWIW - I bought a case of PMC 115 gr about 5 years ago for a Langdon class. It was the lowest-quality factory ammo I’ve ever dealt with.
    Extremely dirty, significant variation in cartridge OAL. Several malfunctions during the 3-day class. I kept the remainder set aside after the class, and decided one day to use it up in my CX-4 to play with IDPA PCC. It was the only ammo that my CX-4 ever choked on - it was essentially a single shot carbine that day. The next week I took it to the range and ran every other type of 9 mm I had on hand through it - WWB, my IDPA 147 load, Speer 147, HST 124, 147, 147 +P. Nary an issue.

After that experience, I avoid PMC 9mm like the plague.

Sample size of one (thousand), and all…

I look at SGammo and Target Sports USA then buy whatever is cheapest! Used to be steel case unless there was a sale on brass that was close enough to choose it over steel. I have a bunch of PPU 124, Megtech, Blazer Brass, Geco..SVS Skorpion. etc.. Still have some Wolf and Brown Bear laying around. Recently bought, but have not shot yet, New Republic ammo (Hungarian) Cant help you with the recoil as they generally feel the same to me within a similar size handgun. However, they have all been reliable and accurate.

If youre planning on buying a whole lot check out Target Sports USA AMMO+ membership. Its $100 but you get something like 8% of on ammo and free shipping regardless of amount purchased. Typically free shipping is with a purchase of a case, with the AMMO+ you can buy one box and have free shipping.

EDIT TO ADD...

Looking at their website now, ammo went up again. Yesterday I could buy Magtech steel case 9mm for something like $210 + $14 tax. Today the cheapest ammo is Blazer Brass 115gr ($259 list price) $238.28 (ammo+ price) + $14.30 tax. Your price will be slightly different depending on your tax. WWB value pack 115gr and Blazer Brass 124gr is like $1 more per case
    Last edited by 4RNR; 01-12-2024 at 11:57 AM.

I am a reloader but a friend is very fond of New Republic. He has a deal at Target Sports akin to Amazon Prime... pay an annual fee and get discounts and "free" shipping.

He gave me a box and it does indeed go Bang.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It seems to me that the challenge is the balance of softer-shooting in a Glock vs. reliable operation in a AR PCC with blowback operation.
    I have run the PMC 115 in several blow back PCCs with reliable function
    No brand recommendations, but I can say that the blowback PCC might not be the limiting factor a reasonable person (me included) might presume(d) it to be. I have just about shot my way through (in my new Shield Plus) my older 115gn reloads that were too light to work after I hung an optic on my pistol, but worked just fine in my 16" PCC.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    No brand recommendations, but I can say that the blowback PCC might not be the limiting factor a reasonable person (me included) might presume(d) it to be. I have just about shot my way through (in my new Shield Plus) my older 115gn reloads that were too light to work after I hung an optic on my pistol, but worked just fine in my 16" PCC.
    I've had some ammo struggles in my PCC, that's why I bring it up.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

A friend did very well with his blowback PCC at a big match, until he hit chrono and was 88 power factor. He had moved and his press got messed up. His blowback PCC ran fine with that load. The loads I ran in my MPX would knock your fillings out in a blowback. Wonder if you have something besides power factor going on?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ben Stoeger recently said Blazer brass 115 is his go to training load.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

With an eye towards availability issues but not taking that exclusively into account…

Say someone wanted to “stock up” on 10,000 rounds of 9mm, what would be a good choice?

“General purpose” here, for my needs, means it would need to run in just about anything, which more specifically would mean any model of 9mm Glock and general AR-pattern PCC. Would also like to limit felt recoil in the Glocks (I have a forearm injury and wife can be recoil-sensitive) as much as possible.

Use case would be plinking, “training” and recreational/hobby (meaning, not serious) competition. This is not meant to be “defensive” type ammo.

What would you want to buy if you were ignoring current supply issues?

What would you buy given the current supply issues?
    I've done exactly what you are proposing although the quantity was slightly more than double yours. For practice, training, recreational shooting, and even defensive use where conditions are such that it is all that I have, I wanted ''full power'' ammunition, so I chose Fiocchi 'Dynamics' 9mm 124-grain FMJ.

A lot of domestic production ammunition seems a bit watered-down so I saw the Fiocchi as a best choice since that particular loading gives me about 1,180 fps from my Glock 17 and 1,135 fps from the Glock 19. At the point that I acquired the ammunition, it took approximately 2 months to do so because supply was a bit unpredictable, but it was worth it in order to have a dependable supply in place so that I could maintain proficiency at my convenience. Of course, I typically replace it as I shoot it. Once a case of 1,000 has been exhausted, that is when I reorder.

The Fiocchi stuff is always clean, shiny, brand new production ammo that is always in fantastic condition. So far, after almost 5,000 rounds down the tube, I have no complaints. I'd imagine that it would run just about any pistol or PCC that is in good working condition.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 01-12-2024 at 01:55 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

It seems to me that the challenge is the balance of softer-shooting in a Glock vs. reliable operation in a AR PCC with blowback operation.
    Never had a problem with Lawman 124 in my PSA AR9.

A friend did very well with his blowback PCC at a big match, until he hit chrono and was 88 power factor. He had moved and his press got messed up. His blowback PCC ran fine with that load. The loads I ran in my MPX would knock your fillings out in a blowback. Wonder if you have something besides power factor going on?
    Probably.

It's a POS "factory" SBR built by Anvil Arms before I knew better.

But it is what it is at this point.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List