Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: “General Purpose” 9mm

“General Purpose” 9mm

With an eye towards availability issues but not taking that exclusively into account…

Say someone wanted to “stock up” on 10,000 rounds of 9mm, what would be a good choice?

“General purpose” here, for my needs, means it would need to run in just about anything, which more specifically would mean any model of 9mm Glock and general AR-pattern PCC. Would also like to limit felt recoil in the Glocks (I have a forearm injury and wife can be recoil-sensitive) as much as possible.

Use case would be plinking, “training” and recreational/hobby (meaning, not serious) competition. This is not meant to be “defensive” type ammo.

What would you want to buy if you were ignoring current supply issues?

What would you buy given the current supply issues?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Norma, S&B, CCI 115, 124, or 147 FMJ - depending on what bullet weight you perceive to recoil less. So I’d probably experiment a bit to see that part.

I’ve had good results from those three brands in every 9mm I’ve used them in, from KelTec and SCCY through CZ, Beretta, and S&W. Glocks seem to run on most things, and have never had a moment of trouble with those three brands (except for one upside down primer).

Federal American Eagle is my preference when available. No preference between 115gr or 124gr. My second choice would be Norma.

PMC 124 and Lawman 124 are our favorite training loads. PMC 115 is softer shooting and lower power factor than PMC 124.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Federal American Eagle is my preference when available. No preference between 115gr or 124gr. My second choice would be Norma.
    And no warts on AE, either.

Most name brand 9mm seems to just work. Obviously, the small operations that aren’t careful, and corporations that forget QC for bulk ammo (WWB, in some lots - but WWB recoil is among the most mild) may have trouble

Site Supporter
    I just went through this exact thought exercise myself a few weeks ago.

Ignoring current supply issues, it's an easy one for me. I'd stock up on 124gn or 147gn Lawman and drive on.

Current reality in play, I landed on 10k 124gn S&B.
    Last edited by centex; 01-12-2024 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Norma, S&B, CCI 115, 124, or 147 FMJ - depending on what bullet weight you perceive to recoil less. So I’d probably experiment a bit to see that part.

I’ve had good results from those three brands in every 9mm I’ve used them in, from KelTec and SCCY through CZ, Beretta, and S&W. Glocks seem to run on most things, and have never had a moment of trouble with those three brands (except for one upside down primer).
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    PMC 124 and Lawman 124 are our favorite training loads. PMC 115 is softer shooting and lower power factor than PMC 124.
    It seems to me that the challenge is the balance of softer-shooting in a Glock vs. reliable operation in a AR PCC with blowback operation.

Although I suppose the latter could be tuned-for if needed.

not knowing what I don't know, I *think* I only care about power factor if it means I might get DQ'd should I want to attend a sanctioned match. I've never gotten chrono'd at a local match but would hate to get all back into the game and then get DQ'd at my first regional or something.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I have run the PMC 115 in several blow back PCCs with reliable function, but before I bought a big supply I would buy a few boxes of what you are interested in, and try them in your various 9mm firearms.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    before I bought a big supply I would buy a few boxes of what you are interested in, and try them in your various 9mm firearms.
    that's the plan for sure, I just don't want to waste time if others have different experiences that can save me time.

BLUF: Round nose ammo could be more reliable than truncated cones across all platforms, including future purchases.

A while back I bought a bunch of American Eagle 147gr (I think it was a total of 5k rounds). It was great in Glocks/M&Ps. Recoil felt mild and I was carrying 147gr HP at the time.

Years later this same ammo choked in a clone MP5 (gun issue, but round nose was fine) and then again in a 2011/STI (again, a pistol/mag issue, but round nose was fine).

I found a company, LAX Ammo, that makes 135gr FMJ round nose-ish, which is nice subsonic/suppressed and reasonably priced. Been 100% so far.

I also landed on Critical Duty 135gr (non-P) for carry.

Their same 124gr had some batches of hard primers that took 2 strikes. So you take chances, like WWB 115gr was for me back in the day and never again!!!

User Tag List