Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pull ups

This is the classic PF focus that dives into the minutia -- next there will be some accessories that are only $50 each to improve performance!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Before I had a bad injury years ago and kind of gave up on being in good shape, I was in much better cardio shape than strength but I saw decent success with the Armstrong pull-up program. I'd like to be able to do at least eight again but after dislocating my shoulder five-ish times this summer, I'm not sure if that'll happen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is the classic PF focus that dives into the minutia -- next there will be some accessories that are only $50 each to improve performance!
    Just wait until I re-name my training journal “Pulling my way up out of mediocre shooting”.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Reminded me about equipment - be careful with the door frame mounted ones, I split my frame and ate it hard. If you have a real bar, there's a few ways you can rig an exercise band for assistance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Reminded me about equipment - be careful with the door frame mounted ones, I split my frame and ate it hard. If you have a real bar, there's a few ways you can rig an exercise band for assistance.
    I have a door frame mounted one. I use it a couple of times a week to either dead hang for as long as I can stand, or to do pull up sets. Usually, they are not that many.

I have done pull-ups and lat pull-downs extensively in the past, but have slacked on consistency with weights for several years. Been mostly doing cardio for the past year, with barbell workouts once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I have a door frame mounted one. I use it a couple of times a week to either dead hang for as long as I can stand, or to do pull up sets. Usually, they are not that many.

I have done pull-ups and lat pull-downs extensively in the past, but have slacked on consistency with weights for several years. Been mostly doing cardio for the past year, with barbell workouts once a week.
    Just like being wired to shoot fast or accurately, I think we are wired to either like cardio or like weights. I know I sure prefer cardio.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just like being wired to shoot fast or accurately, I think we are wired to either like cardio or like weights. I know I sure prefer cardio.
    That leaves out people like me. I hate long slow cardio, am okay with weightlifting, and prefer HIIT.

IMO, one of the best ways to progress at pullups: https://www.strongfirst.com/the-figh...ram-revisited/
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    IMO, one of the best ways to progress at pullups: https://www.strongfirst.com/the-figh...ram-revisited/
    That makes total sense. I did that program just by accident during my work-from-home period of Covid. Call in for a meeting, walk across the room and crank out max reps. After the meeting do it again. Do some a lunch, then in the afternoon. Do another set at the end of the day. I'd do~5-6 max reps sets throughout the day. After a while I was doing 15 reps.

Retired USMC... We do pull ups instead of push ups for part of our physical fitness tests (leftover legacy of climbing up and down cargo nets over the sides of ships into landing craft for landings if anyone wondered why...) So yeah, still maxing my pull ups, Luckily I've managed to only gain 5 lbs and stay the same waist size since I retired from active duty 2 years ago so I kind of want to keep that going....

One of my favorite "PT" sessions to take my guys on was called "island hopping" and we would run to every pullup bar on the camp and do either sets of 10 or max effort (well... what I thought was your max effort...) Then sprint to the next bar... There are a A LOT of pull up bars on a Marine camp, typically there is at least one outside of every barracks and office, many places have one set up outside every structure, and then some spares just in case you can't find one... So the hopping of islands could go on for a while. Time for lessons to be learned if they needed to be...

Pull ups are definitely a technique exercise. Like climbing a rope or riding a bike, once you figure it out it is much easier. Kinda.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

User Tag List