Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pull ups

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It's a bit off topic but my big discovery last year was the impact of weighted carries added to my routine. I'd done farmer carries some for years but inspired by Dan John vids I really added a greater variety.

IMO it's really paid off. My mainstay is shoulder carrying a 50 lb GoRuck sandbag alternating shoulders. I'm at 15 minutes one, then 15 minutes the other while walking and the 10-15 minute stretch is kind of gruesome feeling and I love it.

Waiters carry, hugging something heavy carry, a lot of suitcase carries.

What struck me was that for a couple of years in these mid-sixties, although always training but with more "conventional" exercises, I was finding myself cussing myself over the perceived effort to carry awkward and moderately heavy stuff from storage to upstairs where the wife wanted it. Then "fuck my life" moving it back to the basement storage. I was saying "Self, this is not that heavy, it should not feel this hard."

I noticed a big change after say 6 months of working carries into most workouts a week. Even on cardio workouts, a spell of it is hoofing along with a sandbag. Big difference in perceived effort doing "work" like that.

I'm really hooked on weighted carries.
    Maybe start another thread about weighted carries? I've never done that as part of structured workout, I would be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Maybe start another thread about weighted carries? I've never done that as part of structured workout, I would be interested.
    @Dov Please see https://www.strongfirst.com/the-kettlebell-mile/

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Jesus H that’s a cool read. I’m rucking for a few years too.

24kg seems a little sporty for me but ya don’t know til ya try.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Reminded me about equipment - be careful with the door frame mounted ones, I split my frame and ate it hard. If you have a real bar, there's a few ways you can rig an exercise band for assistance.
    I only read the first three pages, but like the rest of the Marines here, I’ve done a damaging amount of pullups (labral tear, right shoulder/ tendinitis etc). After injuries, I use the following to get back in pullup shape.
    -firstly, Wake is correct- the elastic band is extremely beneficial for increasing your strength and allowing you to focus on form
    -now do pullups. We have bars everywhere at work like rbcusmc said, so every hour ill go knock out as many as I can comfortably do

another technique is pyramids:
    1 rep, dismount.
    2reps, dismount
    5 or however many you set as a goal.
    4, dismount
    back down to 1 rep

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IMO unless your trying to pass the Ranger PT test, don’t obsess over full dead hang range of motion. If you want to great. If you want to maintain tension with slightly bent elbows fine. If your chin crests the bar cool. If you get eyes over the bar cool.

There is a ton published that calls into question old dogma requiring full range of motion to build strength and hypertrophy.
    For those who wish to nerd out on the issue of range of motion, for strength, hypertrophy, and athletic performance, this is a good start:
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/rom/

I am with @blues: it's a basic primate movement that millions of children worldwide are doing right now.

If you need to start with a regression, then flexed arm hangs, negatives, and dead hangs teach the movement better than pulldowns, IMO.

I can see the use of the lat pulldown for therapy in case of injury or starting an obese person. They work great for specific lat hypertrophy for aesthetics. For strength/athletic hypertrophy, I'll take the pullups any day. Just my two cents.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    Prior to starting yesterday's workout session, I did three dead-hang pullups. My next gym session is Tuesday, I'll try for four.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

This thread reminds me that I need to find a place to put up a bar.

I had an apartment years ago where the only place to out one was under the light well to the skylight so I had enough room for my head to poke up higher than the ceiling!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Thursday was the last day I did pull ups, when I was able to do eight. After that layoff, I was only able to do six this morning, which makes me think recency is a thing with pull ups.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Right before Covid I put up one of these in my basement next to my home office:

https://www.titan.fitness/racks/wall...aceSaving.html

At the time it was really cheap (~$150 shipped). It's very compact, way overbuilt, and always ready.

I don't do a ton of barbell work at home anymore. Usually just holidays or if I miss a core lift day at the gym I'll do a make up session at home.

I do wish I had used the 24" bracing as I'd then have enough space for toes-to-bar.

User Tag List