Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pull ups

Site Supporter
    7 pull ups today.

I’ve got my tattoo scheduled “Pull up or die trying”. I’m trying to see if I can get an upright bed so I can sleep with my hands on a pull up bar.

All kidding aside - after doing years of weight lifting (two hernias to show for it) then a couple of years of Jiu Jitsu. I have gone towards the camp of “body weight exercises”, the three classic lifts (bench press, squat, and I do side handle dead lift), elliptical, rowing, and pull-ups, dips, and chin-ups.

I went from being 272 and lifting a ton at 22-23 to having some minor hip pain and realizing my joints didn’t care and lost down to 210-212. Trying to get back to 210-212 - having a strong cardio keeps you alive longer and with a better quality of life. Having young kids is more important to me than pursuing Jiu Jitsu in the evening right now.
    God Bless,

Brandon

And the bar comes in PF orange!
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I like to go straight from a pull up/chin up set to barbell curls, then hold in a farmers carry for as long as possible with a tight grip. Last couple pull ups verrrry slow negative.

I think a lot of people injure themselves overdoing pullups. Not everyone is built the same. Listen to your body and adjust your grip accordingly. I don't think you can injure yourself overtraining them if you pay attention and don't force unnatural positions.

If I wasn't moving this spring, I'd be all over that. Good deal.
    #RESIST

I my max now is 15, but generally 12. Used to be 26.one rep max(no kip) but that was also.in my mid 30s when I would.do 100 every other day. My body can't keep.up with that abuse now. Can't do a door frame pull up anymore either.

We still boulder around a v3 to v4 (down from v5 to v6) but we went from.3x a week to once every 5 month =(
    Last edited by G19Fan; 01-11-2024 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I think a lot of people injure themselves overdoing pullups. Not everyone is built the same. Listen to your body and adjust your grip accordingly. I don't think you can injure yourself overtraining them if you pay attention and don't force unnatural positions.
    This is actually a problem in certain military communities.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    All this talk of pull ups yesterday, and me taking the day off was killing me. I just did eight now, but I tried not to look at the bar, so that may make it more like six, but then it was early and I wasn't warmed up so do I get to add for that.
    IMO unless your trying to pass the Ranger PT test, don’t obsess over full dead hang range of motion. If you want to great. If you want to maintain tension with slightly bent elbows fine. If your chin crests the bar cool. If you get eyes over the bar cool.

There is a ton published that calls into question old dogma requiring full range of motion to build strength and hypertrophy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Chinups and dips. Sometimes bodyweight, sometimes weighted.
    I think it important to balance pulls with pushes.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Lots of good pull-up talk but interesting to read the “either strength or cardio” posts as to what people have preferences for.

You really need both and especially as you age.

If you haven’t read “Outlive” by Peter Attia he makes a fairly compelling argument for both to fight metabolic dysfunction and sarcopenia in particular.

Personally I think body weight exercises have limited utility but the pull up is a fundamental “life movement” like getting up off the floor without using your hands.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Lots of good pull-up talk but interesting to read the “either strength or cardio” posts as to what people have preferences for.

You really need both and especially as you age.

If you haven’t read “Outlive” by Peter Attia he makes a fairly compelling argument for both to fight metabolic dysfunction and sarcopenia in particular.

Personally I think body weight exercises have limited utility but the pull up is a fundamental “life movement” like getting up off the floor without using your hands.
    Your commentary on weight lifting (the big 3) is what persuaded me to re-add weight lifting (rotating what exercise - I’m doing any given day) to my routine.

ETA: This dates back sometime now… over a year.

I don’t think you should do either exercise type at the exclusion of the other. I just do a bit of both 2-3 days a week and lots of walking on lunch breaks.

ETA 2: I also after some injuries no longer do any isolated exercise every day short of walking. AKA - I only do pull-ups and chin-ups at the gym 2-3 days a week. I progress at the speed I progress. It is what it is.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List