Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIM Surplus has 5946’s ($400) and spare mags

AIM Surplus has 5946’s ($400) and spare mags

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

They have had them for several months now, but just now dropped the price from $499 to $399. I love SW 3rd gens, already have a 5906 and 5906TSW. Im tempted, maybe knock another $100 off and Id be a buyer.

I've been thinking a 5946 would go well with my 4506 and 4006 CHP TSW. Couldn't come at a worse time though. The example pictured isn't going to convince me to part with $400 anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    I was never crazy about the “extended rear” on the Smith DAO slides. Some of later DAO models went to a standard slide length (and probably a longer trigger pull). If it was a 3914DAO or a later 3953TSW, I’d be game.

But… I love the feel of the DA trigger on 3rd gens. To me, that’s a strength of the Smiths vs. Berettas and Sigs.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I was never crazy about the “extended rear” on the Smith DAO slides. Some of later DAO models went to a standard slide length (and probably a longer trigger pull). If it was a 3914DAO or a later 3953TSW, I’d be game.

But… I love the feel of the DA trigger on 3rd gens. To me, that’s a strength of the Smiths vs. Berettas and Sigs.
    Conversely, I got a 5946 & a 92D Centurion at about the same time a few years ago. Of the two, I liked the Beretta more, and traded off the Smiff.
    I believe part of the reason is that the 92 had a resettable DAO trigger, and was easier to dry fire.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Conversely, I got a 5946 & a 92D Centurion at about the same time a few years ago. Of the two, I liked the Beretta more, and traded off the Smiff.
    I believe part of the reason is that the 92 had a resettable DAO trigger, and was easier to dry fire.
    Interesting, Yeah, people seem to rave about the D Berettas. Do they have a different DA action than the DA/SA Berettas? Like… more different than just the D spring?

I find my DA/SA 92s tend to “jostle” when the hammer falls in DA. I’m guessing it’s bc there’s more overtravel. On the Smiths, the hammer lays down so… cleanly. The gun stays nice and steady. The DA on my well-worn 5906 is glorious. I find it feels about as close to a revolver as I’ve found in a semi.

Interesting, Yeah, people seem to rave about the D Berettas. Do they have a different DA action than the DA/SA Berettas? Like… more different than just the D spring?

I find my DA/SA 92s tend to “jostle” when the hammer falls in DA. I’m guessing it’s bc there’s more overtravel. On the Smiths, the hammer lays down so… cleanly. The gun stays nice and steady. The DA on my well-worn 5906 is glorious. I find it feels about as close to a revolver as I’ve found in a semi.
    For one, the D doesn't have the sear installed, nor does the D hammer have the SA notch (if I remember correctly). I don't' know if that makes much of a difference, but pulling the sear and shooting it DAO isn't super hard (other than the spring re-install).
    I also went with the Wilson trigger bar & light spring on mine (as the Langdon TJIB isn't recommended for the D Berettas).

Which brings up another thing I like about the 92D- it's fairly easy to work on. The steampunk internals of the Smiff frighten me.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    For one, the D doesn't have the sear installed, nor does the D hammer have the SA notch (if I remember correctly). I don't' know if that makes much of a difference, but pulling the sear and shooting it DAO isn't super hard (other than the spring re-install).
    I also went with the Wilson trigger bar & light spring on mine (as the Langdon TJIB isn't recommended for the D Berettas).

Which brings up another thing I like about the 92D- it's fairly easy to work on. The steampunk internals of the Smiff frighten me.
    Haha. True. Yeah, there’s a lot you can do with Berettas. I have the Langdon trigger bar and 12lb spring in my px4. Makes it pretty nice… but I still dig dat Smiff.

I replaced the drawbar on my 4506-1 recently. It definitely some dexterity, YouTube videos and profanity… but it wasn’t too bad. And I tend to suck at working on guns.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter

No. D models are the same DA as the DA/SA guns. The D spring is often installed in DA/SA guns as an upgrade. You are correct that the “jostle” you are feeling is over travel. Luckily, that’s not an issue on all Berettas.

The other trigger action you are thinking of was the “C” variant of the PX4. It was Beretta‘s answer to things like “reduced DAO” options like the HK LEM and the SIG DAK. Beretta only offered the C variants via agency sales. A few have popped up on the market as agency trade-in guns, but they are actually kind of rare.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/t...y-at-its-best/
    Last edited by HCM; 01-13-2024 at 01:05 PM.

User Tag List