Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 365 Macro shooting thread

365 Macro shooting thread

The Macro is an amazing shooting gun. Mine with a dot and XL upper weighs only 19.45 ounces without a magazine. The Macro deserves its own shooting thread where we post match and shooting videos and pictures of groups shot with the Macro.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Comparing the Macro with a larger pistol, I find a greater difference in my performance when shooting support hand only. The larger pistol has a bigger grip, more weight to stabilize one hand only, and a larger optic display to find and keep the dot in it.

With the Macro, support hand only I have to fully extend my arm to make up for its light weight, and be more precise in keeping the display between my dominant eye and the target. I have spent some time over the last week working this with the Macro, and am making some progress in narrowing the delta between the Macro and larger pistols.

Site Supporter
    @GJM do you think the Macro will supplant or replace your G19s?

Moved to a new thread
    Last edited by GJM; 01-09-2024 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Moved post to new thread

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    @GJM do you think the Macro will supplant or replace your G19s?
    While what I do this afternoon is often different than what I do this morning, the Macro has supplanted the G19 for now. Two reasons:

1) it points like the AXG lower/GGI 4.7 Lockwood 320 LO pistol I am shooting.

2) it has similar capacity to the 19, is thinner and lighter, and for now I shoot it better than the 19. After shooting my LO pistol in practice, I can pick up the Macro and shoot it close in performance with no transition. This is from a few days ago -- my only two runs with the Macro on this steel array right after shooting the AXG.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While what I do this afternoon is often different than what I do this morning, the Macro has supplanted the G19 for now. Two reasons:

1) it points like the AXG lower/GGI 4.7 Lockwood 320 LO pistol I am shooting.

2) it has similar capacity to the 19, is thinner and lighter, and for now I shoot it better than the 19. After shooting my LO pistol in practice, I can pick up the Macro and shoot it close in performance with no transition. This is from a few days ago -- my only two runs with the Macro on this steel array right after shooting the AXG.

I'm a lifelong Glock fanboy, and an avowed Sig hater, but I'm having a hard time not admitting that the P365 family might be the hands down best "default" EDC pistol for private citizen defensive carriers, especially if the manual safety fits someone well. Not a duty gun or competition gun, but as an EDC defensive gun, a Macro frame or modified XL (Wilson or cut down Macro) is really compelling in the size bracket. Nothing else has the support and the 365s seem to have the slim frame Glocks beat in reliability and size:capacity.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    My impression:

Despite some people previously swearing they could go back and forth between Glocks and neutral grip angle guns without any performance drop… they find there actually is a performance drop.

Also my impression:

It’s not the macro grip module that’s special. It’s the similarity to what is most trained on that is yielding the benefit.

It’s conflating two separate things and it’s not particular to a macro grip itself… it’s more a function of consistent mechanics.

If I took a macro grip and put a backstrap that pointed differently than CZ, my performance would drop.

How do I know? Because I started with the wrong macro backstrap not realizing that the size nomenclature has a different backstrap angle as well.

So that’s why this thread is amusing to me. It’s not about the macro grip at all. It’s that someone finally discovered what people have been saying for years… consistency of grip angle matters for performance when you get to a certain level of performance.

Thats kinda exactly what GJM said in his first reply to me- he is shooting the 365 better than his G19 at the moment, because it is more similar to what he is shooting otherwise (320 Lockwood), which is certainly not the same as going from a 2011 open gun or 320 AXG to a G19- especially with the grip anchor. I found the grip anchor effectively increased grip angle on a 19 for me, like a full 1911 vs a bobtail one with the bottom of my hand coming in slightly.

Thats kinda exactly what GJM said in his first reply to me- he is shooting the 365 better than his G19 at the moment, because it is more similar to what he is shooting otherwise (320 Lockwood), which is certainly not the same as going from a 2011 open gun or 320 AXG to a G19- especially with the grip anchor. I found the grip anchor effectively increased grip angle on a 19 for me, like a full 1911 vs a bobtail one with the bottom of my hand coming in slightly.
    Exactly! That's what I've been saying for years. I try very hard to stay with one grip angle. That's why I humpectomied the Glocks and use custom arched mainspring housings on 1911s... so they all point the same as my predominant angle CZs.

There IS a performance drop when going to other grip angles. It can be compensated for, but it definitely is there. It's more important as you get to better levels of performance.

Which is why I carry a P365x instead of a G43x. The Sig angles are more similar to CZs than Glocks are.

It's also why I don't shoot my original Aliens... but I'm excited about the Alien Creator edition which has variable backstraps.

So in this case, I don't think it's the Macro that's particularly special. It's consistency in training.

@Noah

Check this out.

Name:  IMG_0514.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  66.3 KB

WC XL grip with tungsten inserts and brass magwell…

On top of a macro grip.

The WC as laid out is multiple ounces heavier and the magwell gives leverage.

Which one do you think shoots better?

Which was my point about having a general P365 performance thread rather than a grip module thread.

In case people wanted to learn about the different mechanics that improve performance with the system.

Noah, it was more than just grip angle. Last February, I hurt my support hand wrist shooting 10mm, and to get back shooting with less pain, I adopted a support index finger on the trigger guard grip. A by product of that, was this levels the Glock for me and overcomes the different grip angle in the Glock. When I started shooting the AXG, I also went back to my pre trigger guard grip. That didn't result in needing a micro correction, it resulted in me needing a large correction.

To your earlier point, my LGS says the 365 family outsells everything else for them. Outside the forum world, people really like slimline pistols for EDC, and apparently really like 365s!

User Tag List