Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Process for a Defensive Pump Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Mechanically? A 590 or an 870 police it’s fine.

If you were going to shoot a pump, action, shotgun, regularly, for hunting, Claybird games, etc. that will probably transfer over and be fine. If you’re someone who dry fires several times a week and you’re going to do dry practice with the shotgun and dummy rounds once or twice a month you’ll probably be fine.

If you’re going to be like the people, I saw at work who shoot 25 rounds once a year… not so much.

I’ve noticed that even defensive /tactical shooters who shoot pistols and/or carbines regularly rarely shoot their shotguns.

Some of that is on the shooters, and some of that is the fact that many ranges which allow pistol / carbine training restrict or prohibit shotguns due to the toll they take on targets /target stands / range equipment etc.

Personally, even though the manual of arms is different, I find there is a certain consistency going from semi pistols and carbines with red dots to a semi shotgun with a red dot.

If for some reason, I couldn’t use semi shotgun I would still want a red dot on my pump shotgun. Especially if going to the trouble of getting a Vang pump gun. IME direct mounts for red dots are > mounting on a 1913 rail. Especially if there is a huge ghost ring sight housing blocking much of the optic.

Regardless of platform I’m also a big fan of the Magpul shotgun stock.
    I do plan to regularly dry practice with it, every day at first for a while and then a few times a week after that to maintain familiarity. I'm going to need to get some 12ga dummies. As for shooting, considering Federal 12ga target loads are cheaper than 5.56/.223 for me, I hope to be shooting it a lot. I also want to stock buckshot for practice too, and I want to take at least one class once I familiarize myself with the shotgun well.

You mentioned Flight Control having negated advantages when it comes to home defense distances. What non-Flight Control loading would be appropriate?

The VangComp I ordered is ready to take their micro dot mount. I would like to get an Aimpoint T1 or T2 for it at some point soon.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Excellent. You've recommended the Magpul stock with removeable panels before, I remember. The Vang Comp Standard I ordered does have a shorter 13" LOP stock than the norm, but do you think going shorter might be better? I'm 5'8". For reference,
    Then 13" is too long.

I have a client that's 6'2 and regularly wears body armor. 13" is too long for him, too.

Get a Magpul stock on it and put a Kick-eez slim buttpad on the Magpul stock.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    I do plan to regularly dry practice with it, every day at first for a while and then a few times a week after that to maintain familiarity. I'm going to need to get some 12ga dummies. As for shooting, considering Federal 12ga target loads are cheaper than 5.56/.223 for me, I hope to be shooting it a lot. I also want to stock buckshot for practice too, and I want to take at least one class once I familiarize myself with the shotgun well.

You mentioned Flight Control having negated advantages when it comes to home defense distances. What non-Flight Control loading would be appropriate?

The VangComp I ordered is ready to take their micro dot mount. I would like to get an Aimpoint T1 or T2 for it at some point soon.
    SIG Romeo5, primary arms and Holosun etc are fine.. I would take one of those now over a “someday” Aimpoint. Preferably something with buttons for brightness adjustment instead of a rotary dial. The dial is usually what fails when AP micros are mounted on pistols.

Standard Remington / Winchester / federal 00. Which ever one patterns better in your gun. Shotgun barrels are kind of “special snowflakes” and like what they like.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-18-2024 at 10:10 PM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    .You've recommended the Magpul stock with removeable panels before, I remember. The Vang Comp Standard I ordered does have a shorter 13" LOP stock than the norm, but do you think going shorter might be better?
    It can be very handy to have that extra 1/2" reduction which the Mossy Magpul stock offers if you do end up needing it. It is definitely a more "modular" bit of kit.

The Magpul SGA stock has proven so much better for me than any other reduced LOP 870 stock I have used that I am shamefaced when admitting that I put the purchase off so long. It was a relief to finally find a solution that stopped my years of trying this and that WRT defensive shotgun stocks. The stock in FDE put me over the line to reach my happy place with this corn sheller, and it was about time.

Name:  870P Magpul FDE.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  22.8 KB
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Then 13" is too long.

I have a client that's 6'2 and regularly wears body armor. 13" is too long for him, too.

Get a Magpul stock on it and put a Kick-eez slim buttpad on the Magpul stock.
    I'll put an order in for the Magpul stock, then. Is the Kick-eez slim the one that slips over the back or actually screws in?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It screws in, replacing the magpul butt pad.
    3/15/2016

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I'll put an order in for the Magpul stock, then. Is the Kick-eez slim the one that slips over the back or actually screws in?
    I needed to get the Magpul Hunter/SGA® OEM Butt-Pad Adapter to mount the buttpad I originally chose to use, which I believe is a Limbsaver. I still have not installed it all, which I really need to do one of these days.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It screws in, replacing the magpul butt pad.
    https://kickeezproducts.com/collecti...k-recoil-pad-1

Is this the correct one? Or is there one slimmer?

https://kickeezproducts.com/collecti...k-recoil-pad-1

Is this the correct one? Or is there one slimmer?
    This one...

https://kickeezproducts.com/fighting...ck-recoil-pad/

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Thank you!

User Tag List