Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Process for a Defensive Pump Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    That does bring up a concern of mine that is the reason I’ve put off buying this shotgun until now (short stroking). This may seem like a silly question, but it is completely serious. When taking the possibility of short stroking into account, do you consider pump shotguns reliable enough to count on for defense? What is Rob’s stance on that? Curious as to @TVinVA ‘s thoughts too.
    For my entire life, Dad's primary home defense long gun has been an 870 of some flavor.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    For my entire life, Dad's primary home defense long gun has been an 870 of some flavor.
    Well that tells me everything I need to know there, then. Thank ya.

Not strictly related to this thread, but I'm looking at ordering a Police Surplus Remington 870 Police Magnum from Castle Arms. If I were to get this, I'd want to send it off somewhere for a complete lookover and refurbishment. Replacing springs and parts that need to be replaced, preventative replacement parts, refinishing, etc. Anyone have any recommendations for a place that does that? I remember a guy being linked here once, but I can't remember what his company was called. I want to say he was in Mississippi or Alabama?

Or maybe Vang Comp would do it if I sent it in for the 870 upgrade service?

My 590A1 Vang Comp Standard hasn't shipped yet, but they say it can take 7-10 business days or so on their website, so I'm not worried about it. These surplus 870s seem cool though, and it'd be nice to have one that's good to go seeing as I grew up with 870s.

Not strictly related to this thread, but I'm looking at ordering a Police Surplus Remington 870 Police Magnum from Castle Arms. If I were to get this, I'd want to send it off somewhere for a complete lookover and refurbishment. Replacing springs and parts that need to be replaced, preventative replacement parts, refinishing, etc. Anyone have any recommendations for a place that does that? I remember a guy being linked here once, but I can't remember what his company was called. I want to say he was in Mississippi or Alabama?

Or maybe Vang Comp would do it if I sent it in for the 870 upgrade service?

My 590A1 Vang Comp Standard hasn't shipped yet, but they say it can take 7-10 business days or so on their website, so I'm not worried about it. These surplus 870s seem cool though, and it'd be nice to have one that's good to go seeing as I grew up with 870s.
    Roll down the page to find info on the Remington Steal package: https://wilsoncombat.com/wc-shotgun-custom
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Roll down the page to find info on the Remington Steal package: https://wilsoncombat.com/wc-shotgun-custom
    Nice. Thanks. I just ordered one of these: https://thecastlearms.com/product-de...product_detail

On sale for $329 before shipping/tax

I found the thread where a service was recommended for restoring 870s that I was trying to remember earlier: Cottonbranch Custom. Wilson Combat charges $230 for their 870 restoration service. I wonder what Cottonbranch charges and how the work compares.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I found the thread where a service was recommended for restoring 870s that I was trying to remember earlier: Cottonbranch Custom. Wilson Combat charges $230 for their 870 restoration service. I wonder what Cottonbranch charges and how the work compares.
    Cotton Branch does outstanding work.

The Wilson steal package in its most basic form isn't bad, but if I'm going to send a gun in I'm going to have it refinished. If it's a work gun I want cerakote or equivalent on a working gun. Cerakote properly done wears extremely well on shotguns. Wilson's Armor Tuff is also a really nice finish that holds up extremely well.

Check the turnaround time for both and that might help you make the decision.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Cotton Branch does outstanding work.

The Wilson steal package in its most basic form isn't bad, but if I'm going to send a gun in I'm going to have it refinished. If it's a work gun I want cerakote or equivalent on a working gun. Cerakote properly done wears extremely well on shotguns. Wilson's Armor Tuff is also a really nice finish that holds up extremely well.

Check the turnaround time for both and that might help you make the decision.
    Just emailed Cotton Branch asking. Also, I thought the Wilson Steal Package included parkerization?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It does, but I prefer the other finishes for slickness, corrosion resistance, and durability.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It does, but I prefer the other finishes for slickness, corrosion resistance, and durability.
    It looks like the Steal package with the Armor Tuff finish is just a little bit more. I emailed both Wilson and Cotton Branch to see about a roughly estimated turnaround time. I’ll probably send it to whoever is quickest, but I really like the look of Cotton Branch’s work.

As far as replacing small parts, I wonder what both are using. I’ve had nothing but problems with modern Remingtons and their small parts like MIM extractors (albeit I’ve not had anything since Remington was bought out and started production again).

The VangComp 590A1 hasn’t shipped yet. I was under the impression In Stock meant ready to go, but they might be working on one. I’m not really in a rush either way. I’ll have this 870PM to occupy me in the meantime.

User Tag List