Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Process for a Defensive Pump Shotgun

That's a great price on the 870
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Most of the stress of running a pump gun comes from the user moreso than the ammunition. Shotgun shells are potent but relatively low pressure. They tend to shake things loose and then once those things are loose, it tends to tear them up. Sights, optic mounts, etc. On the 870 the magazine cap will loosen on you during shooting and then every time you fire a shot the barrel is literally trying to leave the gun. Then you run the action and slam the barrel into the nose of the ejector over an over and over again and that's how you break ejectors.

Make sure you use Loctite or VC3 on anything fastened to the gun because it will shake loose in short order if you don't.
    One of the things I found inadvertently was that if I did my due diligence, the factory 870 magazine extension clamp did cut down on magazine caps loosening up. I had people tell me that there was no way it could help, I was nuts, etc. But in my experience, that has been the case.

(I also was told a lot of crap about how to install the factory extension as well. I had to send a receiver back to Ilion because one supposed expert insisted that HE demonstrate the "right way" on one of my 870s. There may well be more than one "right way," but his wsan't one of them.)

And I heartily endorse the advice that anything not secured well is going to come loose on a 12 gauge shotgun. Weaponlights. sling mounts, sidesaddles... "mistakes, I've made a few..."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Cotton Branch does outstanding work.

The Wilson steal package in its most basic form isn't bad, but if I'm going to send a gun in I'm going to have it refinished. If it's a work gun I want cerakote or equivalent on a working gun. Cerakote properly done wears extremely well on shotguns. Wilson's Armor Tuff is also a really nice finish that holds up extremely well.

Check the turnaround time for both and that might help you make the decision.
    I received a reply from Josh at Cotton Branch. Unfortunately he said he is out of business for the moment because he is building a new shop. He said he should be accepting work early this summer. I could either wait, or just send it to Wilson Combat for their steal package + armor tuff refinishing (the 870 PM)

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    (I also was told a lot of crap about how to install the factory extension as well. I had to send a receiver back to Ilion because one supposed expert insisted that HE demonstrate the "right way" on one of my 870s. There may well be more than one "right way," but his wsan't one of them.)
    As I understood it, the reason there is an assembly order is because the magazine extension coupler is threaded all the way through:

If you screw the extension into the coupler and then install that assembly onto the end of the magazine tube there is a chance that the coupler (end cap) won't be able to full seat because the extension has been over-inserted.

So the proper assembly is: Coupler snug and tight on the shotgun then the magazine tube extension.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    As I understood it, the reason there is an assembly order is because the magazine extension coupler is threaded all the way through:

If you screw the extension into the coupler and then install that assembly onto the end of the magazine tube there is a chance that the coupler (end cap) won't be able to full seat because the extension has been over-inserted.

So the proper assembly is: Coupler snug and tight on the shotgun then the magazine tube extension.
    Yep. When you tighten the extension tube into the extension coupler with vigor, and then crank the result onto the magazine tube brazed to the receiver, things can get ugly.

There are about half a dozen memorable moments in my life where someone took it upon themselves to disassemble or reassemble one of my guns before I could grab it out of their hands or otherwise object. That was one of them. Doing that is a good way to be remembered for all time not by a name but by an honorific something along the lines of "that (expletive) who (damage description) my (gun description)"; e.g: "The dumb-ass who banged on the receiver while using a steel punch on the front pin of that Rock River National Match."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Three full magazines of defense ammo with zero stoppages.

If there's a problem between gun and ammo it'll reveal itself.

In addition to that, prior to function testing with defense ammo, run a couple hundred cheap shotshell loads though it to exercise it.

Finally got my Vang Comp Standard 590A1. It seems great. I’m going to take it out shooting this weekend even if it’s raining. I have 200 rounds of Federal Top Gun birdshot and am going to take 70 rounds of Federal 00 Buckshot to shoot through it as well to vet it.

@TCinVA any tips on lubricating it before I take it out to vet, or other tips? Is 200rds of birdshot and 70 Buckshot too much for one range session to put the gun through?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]114873[/ATTACH

I did install the SGA stock and Kick EEZ buttpad to get it as short as possible. It feels amazing! I’ve never had a shotgun fit me this well before. Only thing that comes close is my childhood Winchester 20 gauge Youth Model!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    @TCinVA any tips on lubricating it before I take it out to vet, or other tips? Is 200rds of birdshot and 70 Buckshot too much for one range session to put the gun through?
    No, it'll handle that much ammo just fine assuming the gun is in proper working order and you can handle it.

Lubricate the locking surfaces within the bolt and the receiver, the action bars, the areas in the receiver where the action bars and lifter moves around. You don't need gobs, just a little on those areas and anywhere else that's shiny or that gets shiny as the gun is used.
    3/15/2016

No, it'll handle that much ammo just fine assuming the gun is in proper working order and you can handle it.

Lubricate the locking surfaces within the bolt and the receiver, the action bars, the areas in the receiver where the action bars and lifter moves around. You don't need gobs, just a little on those areas and anywhere else that's shiny or that gets shiny as the gun is used.
    Thanks. I figure with 200 rounds of birdshot and 70 of Buckshot should be enough vetting to prove it reliable for defense duty, right? I gathered that from your first reply. It may be overboard but I just want to make sure I can count on it. I have had bad luck lately.

I'm having a hard time unscrewing the magazine end cap, it's on pretty tight. Doesn't help that I cut my finger pretty bad and it's making it hard to twist things.

User Tag List