Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another High Power?

Look, guys. I'm gonna be Captain Buzzkill here. No matter how valient the effort, no matter how desirable the aesthetics, we need to be exceptionally wary of the viability of reverse-engineered guns. I don't care if they have access to the latest and greatest in CNC machinery, unless a manufacturer of a resurrection platform has access to and uses the OEM blueprints, and uses components of equal or greater OEM quality, and has an assembly force with comparable experience and expertise, and the company is committed to a viable quality control program, the results are likely to be like the Springfield SA 35 or the original SIGARMS GSR 1911s.

Historically the Inglis High Powers worked because Inglis had part of the FN engineering and manufacturing crew on site that had fled the Nazi occupation of Belgium/FN, and had the blueprints and capabilities to make the project, and dimnensional deviations and/or component differences synchronize together. That's significantly different than straight reverse engineering.

Look how justifiably whiney things got with the first generation S&W M&P 9mms-and that was with an OEM manufacturer. Now envision how things can play out with a non-OEM manufacturer, using components whose inherent material and manufacturing processes might be questionable or dimensionally variable, or if the manufacturing process itself has fleas.

I realize that we have a tendency to desire a classic platform (in this case, a High Power), ideally one made of superior materials, with superior technology-and at a bargain price. I'm skeptical. If you just want a range/sock drawer gun, know yourself out. But if you want a serious use firearm, I counsel taking a long, hard analytic look before you leap.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-09-2024 at 01:58 PM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

With diligent shopping in local stores--not online auctions--I've found several clean Belgian and Portugal assembled Browning Hi-Powers for reasonable (sub-$1,000) prices. I didn't buy them because I already have suitable examples. It's nice to see the inexpensive Hi-Power clones and I'm glad they're on the market, but once the price passes $5-600 I think one is better off saving up money, using up shoe-leather, and obtaining the real thing.
    Last edited by oregon45; 01-09-2024 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    With diligent shopping in local stores--not online auctions--I've found several clean Belgian and Portugal assembled Browning Hi-Powers for reasonable (sub-$1,000) prices. I didn't buy them because I already have suitable examples. It's nice to see the inexpensive Hi-Power clones and I'm glad they're on the market, but once the price passes $5-600 I think one is better off saving up money, using up shoe-leather, and obtaining the real thing.
    Totally agree. I think you're far better getting a NOS or used High Power, and then refurbishing it (either yourself, or via a qualified High Power gunsmith) than likely having to play functional whack-a-mole with a reverse-engineered contemporary new clone.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I'm curious to see how these pan out. Will the L9A1 be a more or less copy of what we call the T or C Series?

I have a serious doubt that there will be a WWII repro. Too much investment to make a new internal extractor and associated pieces I'd guess.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-09-2024 at 02:56 PM.

At that price point, and if they are of good quality, I may pick one up.

I've always had a hankering for a BHP, but not a big enough hankering to pay big money for one. I mean, shouldn't everyone have at least one J-frame, K-frame, 1911, BHP, Glunck, bolt-action .30-'06, and an 870 in their collection?

Site Supporter
    I got on a list for an SA-35 at a LEO oriented list when they first came out. I even bought practice and carry mags in anticipation of said gun.

Fast forward 2 years+, I get a call from said dealer saying my gun was in.

What a diff 2 years makes vis a vis my travels down the RDS road etc.

I said no thank you and he said no worries, I got 11 more folks to call and I will have this sold by end of day.

If it cannot take a light and/or is not optics friendly, I think most "new" full sized guns are DOA.

YMMV greatly.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Look, guys. I'm gonna be Captain Buzzkill here. No matter how valient the effort, no matter how desirable the aesthetics, we need to be exceptionally wary of the viability of reverse-engineered guns. I don't care if they have access to the latest and greatest in CNC machinery, unless a manufacturer of a resurrection platform has access to and uses the OEM blueprints, and uses components of equal or greater OEM quality, and has an assembly force with comparable experience and expertise, and the company is committed to a viable quality control program, the results are likely to be like the Springfield SA 35 or the original SIGARMS GSR 1911s.

Historically the Inglis High Powers worked because Inglis had part of the FN engineering and manufacturing crew on site that had fled the Nazi occupation of Belgium/FN, and had the blueprints and capabilities to make the project, and dimnensional deviations and/or component differences synchronize together. That's significantly different than straight reverse engineering.

Look how justifiably whiney things got with the first generation S&W M&P 9mms-and that was with an OEM manufacturer. Now envision how things can play out with a non-OEM manufacturer, using components whose inherent material and manufacturing processes might be questionable or dimensionally variable, or if the manufacturing process itself has fleas.

I realize that we have a tendency to desire a classic platform (in this case, a High Power), ideally one made of superior materials, with superior technology-and at a bargain price. I'm skeptical. If you just want a range/sock drawer gun, know yourself out. But if you want a serious use firearm, I counsel taking a long, hard analytic look before you leap.

Best, Jon
    Given the quality of the last two Belgian HPs I owned, compared to the two current turkish 1911s I own, I have confidence in the turkish copy being, at the least, of commensurate quality.

It's not as if they haven't been making HP clones in that part of the world for decades.

Following your logic, the only 1911s we'd own would be Colts or govt. contract guns.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-09-2024 at 04:03 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks for the forthcoming Inglis Hi-Power info.
    https://atlanticfirearms.com/sds-imports
    I don't see them yet on the Atlantic Firearms website, but suspect Atlantic might get and list them for sale once available.

Here's the SDS Imports website, too, should anyone want to check and monitor these websites for availability.
    https://sdsimports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Given the quality of the last two Belgian HPs I owned, compared to the two current turkish 1911s I own, I have confidence in the turkish copy being, at the least, of commensurate quality.

It's not as if they haven't been making HP clones in that part of the world for decades.

Following your logic, the only 1911s we'd own would be Colts or govt. contract guns.
    I have been very impressed with the limited MAC/Tisas/ SDS imports I have handled and shot (1911). I am less impressed with Girsan products. If the new sds import is the reintroduced Tisas, it would be the preferred import imo.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    I have been very impressed with the limited MAC/Tisas/ SDS imports I have handled and shot (1911). I am less impressed with Girsan products. If the new sds import is the reintroduced Tisas, it would be the preferred import imo.
    Agreed on all points.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List