Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend the highest quality shower valve set

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    Forget the big box stores. Look for an actual plumbing supply store in your area and have a talk with them.
    100% YES!

Big Box Stores go to the manufacturer and demand a price point for a certain item. So the item is built to the price. When I comes to plumbing brass gets replaced with plastic. You think you are getting a good deal but in actuality you are buying either planned obsolescence or Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    100% YES!

Big Box Stores go to the manufacturer and demand a price point for a certain item. So the item is built to the price. When I comes to plumbing brass gets replaced with plastic. You think you are getting a good deal but in actuality you are buying either planned obsolescence or Crap!
    Yep, I've seen this time and time again. Most recently, I had gotten a sink drain kit from, cough, cough, L0wes. The tailpiece was so thin one could crush it in one's hand, almost like a toilet paper tube, the wall thickness (and I use that term loosely) was so thin.

Went to the plumbing supply place in town and got a proper tailpiece with good wall thickness.

100% agree, a good plumbing supply house is invaluable for quality parts. The name brand faucets at the big box stores are mostly junk.

Speaking of sink drains, I first saw the one-piece flexible hose drain assembly in China years ago, and thought to myself how much better a system it is than screwing together a bunch of rigid pieces after dry fitting them, cutting them, and all that nonsense.

I installed one of these in my latest bathroom sink remodel and it has worked fine for over a year. If it ever gets clogged, it's pretty simple to detach the end at the sink, straighten it out, clean it, then re-kink the trap and re-attach to the sink.

I don't know if they're accepted by code in all areas, but if you want a 21st century DIY-friendly sink drain assembly, this is the way to go.

Name:  Drain.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  22.2 KB

Sometimes somebody does build a better mousetrap.

Thanks for the pointers guys! I appreciate it.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Check out Hans Grohe showers. They are top of the line.
    I had one in my last house. It broke about 7 years in, the local plumbers didn’t understand it and I couldn’t get parts. It was down for weeks before I got it figured out. Almost cut a hole in the back of the shower and switched it all out.

I was in a very rural area so your experience will differ.

I just replaced a shower head with the cheapest one at the local hardware store and like it much better than the Grohe.

User Tag List