Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend the highest quality shower valve set

Recommend the highest quality shower valve set

I'm about to begin work on installing a shower. The way it is set up, once the shower is completed, it will be ensconced in some sort of tile on the shower side and on the backside of the valve will be a cinder block wall - so there is going to be no way to access the valve body (the brass housing part) for replacement without taking out some tiling inside the shower. The plan is to build a false wall to provide space to mount the valve body and to run the plumbing between the false wall and the cinder block. I will buy and stash extra tile and grout (and hopefully be able to locate that should the need ever arise), but I would like to push any need to access/replace the valve body as far down the road as possible.

I've installed a few of the Moen (I think) shower valves that have the replaceable cartridge that comes out the front via the eustacheon, but those seem sort of cheaply made to me (like everything else nowadays). This is a shower valve only (no tub spout). If anyone has any suggestion for a very high quality valve/handle set-up for this, I would love to hear that.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Check out Hans Grohe showers. They are top of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    This. We used Hansgrohe for our latest BR remodel.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post

I've installed a few of the Moen (I think) shower valves that have the replaceable cartridge that comes out the front via the eustacheon, but those seem sort of cheaply made to me (like everything else nowadays).
    Where did you get your Moen valves? Big Box store?

I stripped a bathroom to the studs and redid everything. A friend who is a plumber took me to the supply house he uses. My wife picked out everything she wanted. All Moen. Everything was top quality. I was amazed at the heft of the towel bars & TP holder. Professional grade Moen is top shelf!

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    We use Delta in our homes. They all come from the plumber’s supply house so I can’t say if the box store ones are any different.

At any rate, your valve itself is probably the most durable part of the whole setup. Replacing the shower cartridges is easy (well…not always, but it’s still accessible from the finished side). My bigger concern is the all the plumbing connections that’ll be buried. Make sure those are done right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Where did you get your Moen valves? Big Box store?

I stripped a bathroom to the studs and redid everything. A friend who is a plumber took me to the supply house he uses. My wife picked out everything she wanted. All Moen. Everything was top quality. I was amazed at the heft of the towel bars & TP holder. Professional grade Moen is top shelf!
    Yup - either the Blue or Orange store.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    We use Delta in our homes. They all come from the plumber’s supply house so I can’t say if the box store ones are any different.

At any rate, your valve itself is probably the most durable part of the whole setup. Replacing the shower cartridges is easy (well…not always, but it’s still accessible from the finished side). My bigger concern is the all the plumbing connections that’ll be buried. Make sure those are done right.
    The connections will, in all likelihood, be Pex A/Expansion Pex done by me. This shower is, at least, is on the terminal end of the water supply (nothing else feeds off this bathroom). And, it is located exactly above a first floor sitting area. If anything starts leaking, at least it will be pretty obvious, pretty quick.

I don't have any good options but to back this shower up against the cinder block wall. I really don't want to hem up all this plumbing either, but I don't think I have much choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Wow!. Not only are they high-end, it looks like a good chunk of their line places the valve body on the finished side of the shower. More research needed, looks promising! Thanks!

+1 for Hansgrohe. I've personally installed them in three showers and had a pro install one in another during a larger remodel.

Their iBox modular system for mounting the valve body is very DIY friendly, plus it has service stops inside if you ever need to replace the valve or work on the hardware. Genius. The valves themselves are solid, feel good when you use them, look good, and I've never had an issue with them.

I also highly recommend their bathroom faucets. I'm on my second house with them and they're my go-to for bathrooms and sinks. Had some issues with a kitchen faucet of theirs- the hose started leaking. One call to customer service and they sent me replacement parts free of charge, no questions asked.

I like a company that builds solid, well-engineered products and stands behind them.

Order them from Amazon or Build.com.

Forget the big box stores. Look for an actual plumbing supply store in your area and have a talk with them.

User Tag List