Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pairing training and carry ammunition

Pairing training and carry ammunition

Can anyone recommend a readily available brand of fmj range ammunition that is ballistically similar to 124 gr HST fired from a 4.5" barrel (CZ P-07) out to 25 yds?

I've always just used whatever brand of 115 gr. fmj was available (S&B, Blazer, or Magtech) without consideration of how it compared to my carry ammo (115 gr. Critical Defense). Now I plan to switch to 124 gr. HST and want to practice with something that is ballistically similar out to at least 25 yards.

I know that I'll still have to verify POI differences but I want to avoid the time and expense of trial and error testing as much as possible.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

You can chase your tail a lot, but I'd buy whatever 124gr FMJ load shoots well in your gun. Without shooting individual loads and comparing them to HST, you'll never know if they match up unless you try, but most are going to be very close. Occasionally you'll find a load the prints way different than others, but most of the time I've found it doesn't matter enough to bother buying a specific ammo.

124gr Norma shoots close enough to my 147gr RA9T carry load at 25 yards as to make the difference unnoticeable shooting freestyle. AE9FP and Speer 147 Lawman also shoot close enough not to worry about it. YMMV...

ETA: That 124gr FMJ Norma load has proven to be quite accurate in my Gen5 Glocks, compared to other ball ammo from Win/Fed/Speer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwlambert View Post
    I plan to switch to 124 gr. HST and want to practice with something that is ballistically similar out to at least 25 yards.
    If you want something in that bullet weight that's about the same velocity as HST, try Winchester's NATO-spec 124-grain FMJ. It ran ~1160 fps from my 4" PX4, is decently accurate, and uses low-flash powder (I shot it in a night class). That said, I can't tell the difference in POI between my carry load, HST 124-grain +P, and S&B 124-grain FMJ.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Lawman 124 is my go to and is a great training round that mimics Gold Dot 124+P.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I had good luck with 124gr Fiocchi. It shot to the same POI as 124 (non +P) HST in the 4” 1911 I previously carried. It was also almost as accurate as the HST.

It’s been a while, but I used to buy it in double case (2000rd) shipments from Ammo Supply Warehouse, which got me free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Rwlambert View Post
    Can anyone recommend a readily available brand of fmj range ammunition that is ballistically similar to 124 gr HST fired from a 4.5" barrel (CZ P-07) out to 25 yds?

I've always just used whatever brand of 115 gr. fmj was available (S&B, Blazer, or Magtech) without consideration of how it compared to my carry ammo (115 gr. Critical Defense). Now I plan to switch to 124 gr. HST and want to practice with something that is ballistically similar out to at least 25 yards.

I know that I'll still have to verify POI differences but I want to avoid the time and expense of trial and error testing as much as possible.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk
    If you’re okay with polymer coated, the purple coated Syntech is the Federal HST analog.

Like Lawman to Gold Dots, the purple Syntech is the HST analog.

Name:  IMG_0500.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0501.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  36.5 KB

Ask me about my experience with it compared to the red practice Syntech 124s (not the gaming 130 or 150s).

In stock here with free shipping over $200.

https://shopbfam.com/product/federal...fn-50-bx-10-cs

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Lawman 124 is my go to and is a great training round that mimics Gold Dot 124+P.
    Maybe a typo there?

Lawman 124 is regular pressure Gold Dot.

Gold Dot 124+P is north of 1200 fps.

Name:  IMG_0504.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  26.1 KB

Lawman is sub 1100 fps.

Name:  IMG_0505.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  20.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Not necessarily a typo. IME, standard pressure 124s pretty much hit the same POI as +P.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Not necessarily a typo. IME, standard pressure 124s pretty much hit the same POI as +P.
    Just so I’m understanding, are you saying that 124+P Gold Dot hits closer to Lawman 124 POI than 124 normal pressure Gold Dot?

Because saying “all 124 whether +P or not is similar” is different than specifically calling Lawman 124s analog as +P Gold Dot (rather than just Gold Dot).

Especially in an HST thread.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Saying “mimics” implies more than just POI.

Which is why I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt about the error.

Lawman doesn’t feel like +P to me. And the Federal Training match feels much more of a robust mimic to duty ammo.

So I’m just clarifying lest someone think that Lawman is actually spicy.

I haven’t tested POI but I would be very surprised if Lawman shot more to +P POI than regular pressure given the velocity gap.

User Tag List