Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pairing training and carry ammunition

Site Supporter
    I used to be an ammo whore. Whatever was cheap, I shot it. With irons, I never could find a significant POI shift. I will to some degree with a dot. That said, I don’t find much of any typical target ammo to replicate recoil of carry ammo. I chronographed a metric load of FMJ stuff several years ago, and frankly, almost all of it sucked. The hottest were AE and S&B. I’d like to repeat the exercise because I’ve got a little better educated, and would love the better loads in more bullet weights, and to stack it next to carry loads.

I can say, I’ve gotten a bit more fickle. I prefer Magtech, S&B, and PMC (PMC is loaded light, though). If it can be had for the same price, AE and Lawman are great and usually feel a little hotter. I’ve also shot a lot of WWB without the issues some say they have, as well as UMC.

I’ve also got my first couple cases of Fiocchi to shoot since going to a dot several years ago. I’m curious about it.

Sorry, perhaps a rambling response, but I’m a plethora of seemingly random observations.

I have a question for those who have been involved in real world shootings. I was in the peace time military so never on a two-way shooting range. I completely grasp the concept of wanting training ammo to feel/act like defensive ammo, but in the heat of the moment, whether offensive or defensive shooting, with the stress and adrenaline and everything going to shit, are you truly cognizant of the difference in snap/recoil impulse of a hotter or softer shooting round? I would assume highly trained and experienced door kickers would be more attuned to the difference but I'd also assume those would be the guys least affected by something like that.

I posted this chrono info in another thread earlier today, and I am not seeing a tremendous velocity difference between 124 Lawman and 124+P Gold Dot out of the 365.
    -------------

YVK and I were discussing 365 barrels and velocity, and I agreed to use my new Garmin chrono to check velocities with 124 Lawman and 124+P Gold Dot. Here is what I got, at about 700 feet above sea level on a 60F day, for a three shot average with each load.

3.7 XL length barrel
    124 Lawman 1,105 fps
    124 Gold Dot (all Gold Dot was +P) 1,145 fps

3.1 OEM barrel
    124 Lawman 1,057 fps
    124 Gold Dot 1,079

PMM barrel and comp that is same overall length as an XL
    124 Lawman 1,055 fps
    124 Gold dot 1,104 fps
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List