Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Major US LE purchase of hammer fired pistols in last decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    IIRC
    Revolvers to 96Ds to Glock 37s (remember the GAP?) to Glock 21s to P227 and now PDPs?
    That is the progression, with a brief period of previously issued G37s or personally owned handguns between the G21.4 and P227.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The above mentioned Pennsylvania State police went from .45 cal Glocks to P227s.
    If I recall correctly the Indiana State police also went from Glocks (40 ?) to the P227.

But they are exceptions to the general trend.
    Genuinely curious about the thought process behind going from .40 to .45 in the 2000s/2010s.

The DHS/ICE SIG contract was 2005 - so 19 years ago.
    OP opened it up to the last two decades. Otherwise we’re just talking about the couple of P227 contracts already discussed, with PSP being the largest since they have over 4k sworn. There are some overseas contracts for Beretta PX4s but I have no idea if those were contracts awarded 20 years ago that have been renewed or if they are completely new contracts.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Looks like Covington has 100 officers, which is anything but tiny.

I wonder if they allow other options, or if they have P229s for guys who don’t want to carry the full size gun. They might have missed the P239 boat.
    Interesting. Thanks for looking into that. Yeah, the Cov is bigger than it seems. And the police have a pretty consistent presence throughout--there are certainly a few "sketchy" areas. As well as bougie hipster enclaves. Looks like they made the switch to Legions in 2019 (I actually had an earlier thread on it).

Not sure about P229s--I don't think I've seen any in holsters? As far as the P239...

I bought a used one in my LGS back in 2016. I was told it had been an off-duty carry for local police officer. So, looks like there's kind of a "tradition" of P2XX Sigs. In neighboring Northern KY towns, I see officers mainly carrying Glocks.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Every major US LE tender I've seen in my time here have stipulated striker fired actions. Now, I'm not in the LE group, so I don't see all of them, but Federal, major city, and smaller city solicitations were all requiring striker fired actions. SLMPD got additional 92Ds as a continuation of their old guns and LASD has done some special edition 92s for different divisions, but I don't think that counts as major.
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Genuinely curious about the thought process behind going from .40 to .45 in the 2000s/2010s.
    I believe some of that was due to the previously documented issues with Glock 22s and WML.

There was also a trend in that time. For state police agencies in places with cold weather to go from 9mm / 40 to .45 acp or .45 GAP. Likely justified by the purported effects of suspect’s winter clothing on bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I believe some of that was due to the previously documented issues with Glock 22s and WML.

There was also a trend in that time. For state police agencies in places with cold weather to go from 9mm / 40 to .45 acp or .45 GAP. Likely justified by the purported effects of suspect’s winter clothing on bullets.
    @BehindBlueI's might be able to confirm or expound on the Indiana State Police decision.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    Every major US LE tender I've seen in my time here have stipulated striker fired actions. Now, I'm not in the LE group, so I don't see all of them, but Federal, major city, and smaller city solicitations were all requiring striker fired actions. SLMPD got additional 92Ds as a continuation of their old guns and LASD has done some special edition 92s for different divisions, but I don't think that counts as major.

Name:  A765F2BF-7E52-43B8-88AE-9006FD010765.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  48.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post

Name:  A765F2BF-7E52-43B8-88AE-9006FD010765.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  48.1 KB
    Ding ding ding. I actually did the laser programming and engraving for those; the special SN request meant they needed to be ran by someone who could program those on the fly. That said, the logo artwork for SEB was much easier to convert than the Homicide or Narcotics logos.
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @BehindBlueI's might be able to confirm or expound on the Indiana State Police decision.
    Nothing firm. Indiana conservation officers had carried Sig .45s for quite awhile with the idea heavier/slower .45 was less likely to deflect in heavy brush. Rumor at the time was that ISP's decision was as simple as the upper brass liked .45 because they liked .45. If they did any comparison testing or not, I either never knew or don't remember any more.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List