Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Major US LE purchase of hammer fired pistols in last decade?

Site Supporter
    I think Maine State Police still issue the HK45/HK45c after issuing the USP45/USP45c.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Wasn’t that due to issues with the G21s?

From what I heard many years ago, PSP had a very strict policy of all things carried on the gun belt, including where on the belt.
    Yes and yes.

Site Supporter
    Wasn’t that due to issues with the G21s?

From what I heard many years ago, PSP had a very strict policy of all things carried on the gun belt, including where on the belt.
    The location of items on the belt even mandated right sided holster carry even if you were left hand dominant. This was waaay back but it was nonetheless a thing.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    In 2006, S&W wouldn’t sell us 30 5906s (the chief didn’t want to buy new leather) so we traded into the then new M&P40. Sometime after that I read that they sold the California Highway Patrol 10,000 4006s. I’m not sure when the metal frame guns went out of production.
    The 59xx series went out of production in the 90s. The 4006 remained in production until 2011, not to mention the difference in asking a factory to retool for production of a 30 unit run vs a 10,000 unit run.

Not so much an issue of "wouldn't" sell you 5906s.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    And replaced them with Walther PDPs.

PSP has a history of issuing eccentric guns.
    Ddn’t they go from Beretta 92’s to Glock 21’s only to switch back to the Da/SA
    sig P227?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I think Maine State Police still issue the HK45/HK45c after issuing the USP45/USP45c.
    I have heard they are considering transitioning to the VP9

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Nothing firm. Indiana conservation officers had carried Sig .45s for quite awhile with the idea heavier/slower .45 was less likely to deflect in heavy brush. Rumor at the time was that ISP's decision was as simple as the upper brass liked .45 because they liked .45. If they did any comparison testing or not, I either never knew or don't remember any more.
    Just remembered: They had an issue with the tip of the striker mushrooming and causing failures to fire with a Glock, Glock in Glock fashion denied any problem existed, and they went to Sig. I *think* it was G21s they briefly tried before going to the P227. Still doesn't explain why back to .45, but does explain the swap to Sig a little better.

*edit*
    Yup, found a post I made elsewhere when I still remembered more stuff: The ISP gun was the Glock 21 and, reportedly, the issue was the striker was mushrooming at higher round counts on some examples.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 01-09-2024 at 11:12 AM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The 59xx series went out of production in the 90s. The 4006 remained in production until 2011, not to mention the difference in asking a factory to retool for production of a 30 unit run vs a 10,000 unit run.

Not so much an issue of "wouldn't" sell you 5906s.
    Interestingly, there were some 3rd gen production runs up until about 2015. Mainly 3914DAOs and 5946s for the NYPD + melonite 4566TSWs for the WVSP. For a big enough order, seems like they were willing to do it... for a while.

Also interesting, those final batches of 3rd gens were made in Houlton ME, not Springfield. At some point, they moved the 3rd gen tooling up there for LE contract runs--though it seems like that was after the big order of "integrally railed" 4006TSWs (which were marked "Springfield") was made for the CHP.

Some interesting info in post #3:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...-3914-dao.html
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

IIRC
    Revolvers to 96Ds to Glock 37s (remember the GAP?) to Glock 21s to P227 and now PDPs?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    Ddn’t they go from Beretta 92’s to Glock 21’s only to switch back to the Da/SA
    sig P227?
    As shown in my previous post. But yes, they went hammer -> striker -> hammer -> and now back to striker.

The exception was pointed out by @SamueL, when they were having issues with the G21, they allowed personal weapons and a switch back to G37s for those not wanting to go with a pow.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Just remembered: They had an issue with the tip of the striker mushrooming and causing failures to fire with a Glock, Glock in Glock fashion denied any problem existed, and they went to Sig. I *think* it was G21s they briefly tried before going to the P227. Still doesn't explain why back to .45, but does explain the swap to Sig a little better.

*edit*
    Yup, found a post I made elsewhere when I still remembered more stuff: The ISP gun was the Glock 21 and, reportedly, the issue was the striker was mushrooming at higher round counts on some examples.
    What year(s) did this problem with the G21's exist? I assume they've been fixed by now? I'm pretty heavily invested in Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glock 21s. What kind of round counts was this problem happening at, if you remember?

User Tag List