Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Major US LE purchase of hammer fired pistols in last decade?

Didn't St. Louis PD have a special run of DA-only Beretta 92's made a few years ago?

I imagine the USMC M45A1 procurement in 2012 was the last hammer fired procurement for the US military? Not a particularly long period of service for the CQBP...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Didn't St. Louis PD have a special run of DA-only Beretta 92's made a few years ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    Every major US LE tender I've seen in my time here have stipulated striker fired actions. Now, I'm not in the LE group, so I don't see all of them, but Federal, major city, and smaller city solicitations were all requiring striker fired actions. SLMPD got additional 92Ds as a continuation of their old guns and LASD has done some special edition 92s for different divisions, but I don't think that counts as major.
    See Ben’s post. Looks like it was a shipment of additional guns for their already existing contract.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I imagine the USMC M45A1 procurement in 2012 was the last hammer fired procurement for the US military? Not a particularly long period of service for the CQBP...
    Hmm, that does remind me that NSW adopted the HK45C as the MK 24 MOD 0 in 2011, though that's obviously also not an LEA.

If we're looking at the period of 2004-2024, there's a number of small SOF 1911 procurements, culminating with the aforementioned M45A1 CQBP in 2012. The M45A1 was also the largest of these procurements at 4,036 pistols; the other purchases were much smaller. The USMC purchased a few hundred Springfield Professionals (PC9111 and PC9111MC) during this time period, followed by a few hundred of their own USMC serial numbered SACS Custom Carry 1911s. There was also the procurement of 200 Kimber 'ICQB' pistols for USMC DET-1 in 2005 that received much fanfare.

In 2004 Army SOF purchased 275 SACS assembled 1911s (the PC9114). Later in 2009 the same unit procured a similar number of STI .40 2011s which were briefly tested and found wanting.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

From the thread title, and just curious, what does "Major US LE purchase" mean?
    In other words, is this only United States government LE agencies/departments?
    With the "US LE" wording, it'd seem to then omit military purchases/use.
    Or does it mean state, county, or city departments of any size or quantity of pistols which may have been bought/issued?

The various responses/replies seem to have covered most, if not all, U.S. government LE uses, including some military users. As I type, with the 2004-2024 timeframe, unless I missed reading it, I think FBI still had the Springfield Professional 1911 as a potentially issued or approved SWAT/HRT pistol; and US Navy/SEAL still issuing SIG P226 depending on mission/assignments.

I can think of some state/county/city California departments which issued hammer-fired SIGs or S&Ws, but have since (probably) switched to striker-fired brands & models (Calif. CHP [S&W 4006]; Alameda Co.[SIG P229]; San Jose PD [SIG P226], come to mind).

While Glock, to me at least, still seems to have price/service/training/parts-support, there are some striker-fired competitors which have made a small "dent" by securing some department contracts (S&W, FN, SIG, come to mind).

Also, note, with some LEOs, whether Federal or local, as mentioned previously, some agencies/departments might allow personally-owned firearms for its LEOs. Some of these personally-owned-firearms might be bought directly from the manufacturer, perhaps at some kind of discount/deal.

In 2010-ish, West Virginia State police ordered up 750ish S&W 4566 TSW's. I think the S&W pistols had been out of production for about a decade before the West Virginia order.

https://www.policemag.com/weapons/ne...highway-patrol

Quote Originally Posted by SamueL View Post
    That is the progression, with a brief period of previously issued G37s or personally owned handguns between the G21.4 and P227.
    Wasn’t that due to issues with the G21s?

From what I heard many years ago, PSP had a very strict policy of all things carried on the gun belt, including where on the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    In 2010-ish, West Virginia State police ordered up 750ish S&W 4566 TSW's. I think the S&W pistols had been out of production for about a decade before the West Virginia order.

They moved a few years ago to the Glock 17Gen5 (maybe the 17M specifically, not sure). Same as my state KY, who went with the Gen5 17 and 43X.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

In 2006, S&W wouldn’t sell us 30 5906s (the chief didn’t want to buy new leather) so we traded into the then new M&P40. Sometime after that I read that they sold the California Highway Patrol 10,000 4006s. I’m not sure when the metal frame guns went out of production.

User Tag List