Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: SHOT Show 2024

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’d suspect less life. But it might be nice.

This can being built off of SLS/SLM techniques, I think it'll be fine durability wise. There's the related questions of cleaning and clogging, but I can't speculate without seeing the guts of it; and worst case, it may simply call for an extended soak in a solvent before a pressurized expulsion of all of the accumulation.

Traditionally foamed metals are pretty cool stuff all on their own, and I'd like to reapproach them one of these days; but SLS really allows for a curated experience in the application.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Speaking of weapon lights…. Is Cloud Defensive at SHOT? I’m holding out hope for their pistol light that’s brighter and shorter than the X300U.
    They are. No pistol light.

More hand helds. More AR15 switches for various things.

--

I admit I like Cloud Defensive products - but I've kind of given up on them delivering super innovative products. They adopted the Scout light format, abandoned the OWL, and of course we're four or five years on from the pistol light.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Speaking of weapon lights…. Is Cloud Defensive at SHOT? I’m holding out hope for their pistol light that’s brighter and shorter than the X300U.
    They are, but it appears that there is no news on the pistol WML, just some updates to the MCH Micro and a bunch of tape switches being released (including a dual lead one, finally).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

--

I admit I like Cloud Defensive products - but I've kind of given up on them delivering super innovative products. They adopted the Scout light format, abandoned the OWL, and of course we're four or five years on from the pistol light.
    In any of the CD Facebook groups, the EPL (or whatever they were calling the pistol light) has become a running joke. Nobody believes they actually exist or that CD is actively working on them, or that by the time they DO release (should the impossible happen...) they'll already be obsolete. Most people have turned to the X300T. I agree, discontinuing the OWL was a mistake and the REIN is just a Scout with a few added features at this point.

And with how Modlite handled the initial release of their pistol light, I won't be an early adopter by any means. Looks neat, I'd love to have one based on size, but I'll let other people pay to play beta tester for them first.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    This can being built off of SLS/SLM techniques, I think it'll be fine durability wise. There's the related questions of cleaning and clogging, but I can't speculate without seeing the guts of it; and worst case, it may simply call for an extended soak in a solvent before a pressurized expulsion of all of the accumulation.

Traditionally foamed metals are pretty cool stuff all on their own, and I'd like to reapproach them one of these days; but SLS really allows for a curated experience in the application.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/C2i5CDdJJtE/?hl=en

Dillon Aero was also showcasing a can system for their M134, using the same SLS based construction method to create a porous suppressor.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

--

I think using the Scout standard is a good thing, and I wish more pistol WMLs would use existing formats (X300 or TLR1) for holster compatibility.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think using the Scout standard is a good thing, and I wish more pistol WMLs would use existing formats (X300 or TLR1) for holster compatibility.
    The standard hole spacing and mounting format I absolutely agree. The decision to make scout form-factor (round tube with batteries in it, switch on the ass end) just doesn't separate Cloud from anyone else. Except the price, the damn Rein is nearly 400 bucks currently.

The OWL was $400 a few years ago, but is a single integral unit that was easily flipped from side-to-side on PIC. In all honesty, they could have spent time and effort shrinking the OWL down, making an 18350 version, with insertable mounting surfaces that could allow the user to opt for PIC, SCOUT, or MLok mounts. That would be radical and useful. Really my only two complaints with the OWL are the weight (~10oz) and that it is only PIC compatible.

But they opted instead to focus on Scout lights and handhelds. And they spend an inordinate amount of time playing Night Rangers in their warehouse. The owner of Cloud bought himself a Ford Raptor and has kind of fucked right off doing whatever. I honestly quit following them on social media, because every other day it was yet another "team building adventure" - while they can't regularly stock products across their product line. Something I find particularly reprehensible since their product line is like anyone else's. I could be sympathetic if they were building more complex/different designs. As is, they could just mimic whatever Streamlight or Surefire does and get it done.

Hell Malkoff is one/two-man shop and has no problem keeping things up and running smoother than Cloud.

I also admit, I lost respect for them when they decided to go to China and brand a knock-off Streamlight as a Cloud product.

Hell Malkoff is one/two-man shop and has no problem keeping things up and running smoother than Cloud.
    Well, Gene Malkoff is a very hard-working, diligent dude. A rare breed nowadays.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

The standard hole spacing and mounting format I absolutely agree. The decision to make scout form-factor (round tube with batteries in it, switch on the ass end) just doesn't separate Cloud from anyone else. Except the price, the damn Rein is nearly 400 bucks currently.

The OWL was $400 a few years ago, but is a single integral unit that was easily flipped from side-to-side on PIC. In all honesty, they could have spent time and effort shrinking the OWL down, making an 18350 version, with insertable mounting surfaces that could allow the user to opt for PIC, SCOUT, or MLok mounts. That would be radical and useful. Really my only two complaints with the OWL are the weight (~10oz) and that it is only PIC compatible.

But they opted instead to focus on Scout lights and handhelds. And they spend an inordinate amount of time playing Night Rangers in their warehouse. The owner of Cloud bought himself a Ford Raptor and has kind of fucked right off doing whatever. I honestly quit following them on social media, because every other day it was yet another "team building adventure" - while they can't regularly stock products across their product line. Something I find particularly reprehensible since their product line is like anyone else's. I could be sympathetic if they were building more complex/different designs. As is, they could just mimic whatever Streamlight or Surefire does and get it done.

I also admit, I lost respect for them when they decided to go to China and brand a knock-off Streamlight as a Cloud product.
    All of this. I was a big fan of the OWL and REIN Gen1 w/ the rebuildable head. With the death of the OWL and the Gen3 no longer being user serviceable (and costing $400 as already noted), there's not really anything driving me to their products anymore. Throw in the HUGE PR stunt that is (was?) the EPL, some drama behind the scenes, and the sell out for the cheap Chinese mini light, and I'd only consider a CD if it was on sale for a smoking price.

User Tag List