Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best for astigmatism

Best for astigmatism

I know its been discussed before, but tech improves Im interested in what is the current best red dot is for astigmatism.
    I assume Ill need a small dot as Ill be shooting for groups.
    Its going on a revolver so I assume picatinny I havent looked into that part yet.
    I strongly prefer an American company.
    I know I saw this discussed but now I cant find it.
    I know @HCM seemed to be up to date.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Tag.

I hear that etched reticles are the way for those of us with astigmatism.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Tag.

I hear that etched reticles are the way for those of us with astigmatism.

Okie John
    Tagged, as I have no idea what is good in dots for astigmatism, and so far, they just frustrate me with starbursts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I know its been discussed before, but tech improves Im interested in what is the current best red dot is for astigmatism.
    I assume Ill need a small dot as Ill be shooting for groups.
    Its going on a revolver so I assume picatinny I havent looked into that part yet.
    I strongly prefer an American company.
    I know I saw this discussed but now I cant find it.
    I know @HCM seemed to be up to date.
    For pistols ?

Depends on the astigmatism.

Some prefer small dots, some prefer green dots.

Personally, I find even different models within the same brand can look better or worse.

For example, most SIG optics such as the Romeo1PRO look fine to me but the Romeo 2 starbursts for me.

However, it’s also been my experience that some of the issues attributed to a stigmatism are actually people looking at the dot or running it too brightly.

Derp. Entry deleted.

Missed that it's for a revolver.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Best for astigmatism

I have a moderate astigmatism in my right eye that makes dots have a distortion line. I ignore it and I don’t think it makes a difference for any size of target I shoot. Centering the brightest, most dense part of the dot works well for me.

Rifle reticles have a ghost image as a result of the astigmatism. Again, I just work around it.

The Holosun circle reticles are the least affected, but I still prefer the plain dot.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I don't know what optic can go on a Pic rail.
    Astigmatism: mine is bad enough that I can't shoot groups unless I wear corrective glasses. What I see without them is a spiderweb. I don't know if folks who replied above implied a corrected or uncorrected vision. For me, wearing my correction glasses, time and time again the RMR has been the best, followed by SRO. I don't use my Acro enough to have a full opinion. Holosun has consistently been the worst across multiple models, especially the EPS Carry. Small groups shooting at longer distance indoors is when I perceive it more.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

This may be well known but I was surprised at how well it worked. A fellow I shoot informal bullseye with uses an optical device on his glasses to correct the dot distortion. Its a stick-on aperture with a 1/16" hole. It works wonders for me. I find that 3 MOA dots and larger don't distort too much for my eyes but the aperture improves all sizes. It also allows me to see my iron sights again, which was the original intent of such devices back in the day.
    The Merit Optical Device is a mechanical version of the aperture, though its out of production.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015167397?pid=978528

The Lyman Eyepal is more or less what my friend came up with. Its available on eBay.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/eyepalr
    Last edited by Oldherkpilot; 01-07-2024 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added info

The Holosun 507k with the dot and circle reticle gave me the crispest dot in all light settings.

But now I use an RMR with a 3.25 dot and manual adjust brightness. The brighter it is outside, the more crisp the dot for me. At low light it becomes a starburst, but dimming the dot helps.

I used to obsess over the crispness of a dot, but I've since learned that for me it doesn't make a huge difference. I manage to shoot low to mid 90's at 25 yards using cheap brass 9mm on a "super B8" and shot 100 6x using Federal HST https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....94#post1320394

EDIT:

Whatever sight you go with, go with manual adjust brightness.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

My vision is not the best. Cataracts in both but not severe enough for insurance to cover. Astigmatism usually ellicits a comment at eye exam. Maybe Ill just pull the sled ride off the ruger. Heres my new girl. 29-5
    Name:  IMG_5574.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  34.6 KB Ammo from @Lost River inbound.
    Last edited by UNK; 01-07-2024 at 09:18 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List