Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best for astigmatism

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    My vision is not the best. Cataracts in both but not severe enough for insurance to cover. Astigmatism usually ellicits a comment at eye exam. Maybe Ill just pull the sled ride off the ruger. Heres my new girl. 29-5
    Attachment 113652 Ammo from @Lost River inbound.
    That 5" Model 29!

Did we just become best friends?!!

Im shamelessly LARPing as Lost River and @Malamute
    😎😁
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I had an older Leupold M8 2x pistol scope laying around waiting for its proper home, I put it on dads 617 and am very happy with it. The crosshair is sharp, dots, not so much for me. I foresee more such pistol scopes in my future, particularly for longer range shooting, which is about 99.75% of my use compared to average.

There exist non-piccatiny mounts for dots, such as Lost River has on his gun. I dont recall the maker.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I had an older Leupold M8 2x pistol scope laying around waiting for its proper home, I put it on dads 617 and am very happy with it. The crosshair is sharp, dots, not so much for me. I foresee more such pistol scopes in my future, particularly for longer range shooting, which is about 99.75% of my use compared to average.

There exist non-piccatiny mounts for dots, such as Lost River has on his gun. I dont recall the maker.
    I think Id prefer that to a dot

They have a 2.5 https://www.leupold.com/vx-3-handgun...lex-riflescope

I think Id prefer that to a dot
    It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you adjust to how it suddenly appears once lined up, it doesnt bother me. its not as action oriented, but with some use may be workable for running rabbits and such, time will tell. Its a HUGE improvement in mechanical shooting ability for me in group size. I already want several more.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Wowza! I guess thats the current offering. I tend towards older stuff (I'm cheap and somewhat luddite). I had this particular scope for maybe 20 years waiting for something I wanted to use it on. Ebay and gunbroker have pre-owned M8 2x's for around $200-ish give or take a little. An xp100 is probably able to make good use of more magnification, but the 2x may be enough for most of what Im going to do. Will have to see when Im able to shoot it at 2-300 yards or so.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Astigmatisms are pretty individual things. Small dots such as 2-3 MOA appear misshapen to me. Large dots such as 5-6 MOA look nice and crisp and circular. My brother’s vision is the opposite. Small dots look crisper for him.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Wowza! I guess thats the current offering. I tend towards older stuff (I'm cheap and somewhat luddite). I had this particular scope for maybe 20 years waiting for something I wanted to use it on. Ebay and gunbroker have pre-owned M8 2x's for around $200-ish give or take a little. An xp100 is probably able to make good use of more magnification, but the 2x may be enough for most of what Im going to do. Will have to see when Im able to shoot it at 2-300 yards or so.
    Thats stretching it out there. The new Leuopold model is longer than the revolver I think. Im still undecided Ill probably agonize over this for a few days before I decide. I can see the merit of both sighting systems.
    Thanks for the input I know I can always count on you to stretch my gun dollars to the max.

Thats stretching it out there. The new Leuopold model is longer than the revolver I think. Im still undecided Ill probably agonize over this for a few days before I decide. I can see the merit of both sighting systems.
    Thanks for the input I know I can always count on you to stretch my gun dollars to the max.

Glad to be of assistance! If I can't afford something surely I know somebody that can.

I guess thats one of the things I like about the older M8 2X is they are relatively compact and clean looking, besides fitting my budget better.

I'm pretty sure when I found that scope used at a gun show 20-some years ago my thought process was more in line with "Hey, I think that would make a fair scout type scope! Who the hell would every put a scope on a real pistol?"
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List