Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boy, this is embarrassing

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Is it possible you have a load that's on the edge and is temperature or position dependent? Try tipping the gun muzzle up before firing to settle the powder back toward the primer between shots, since you're shooting slow anyway. Kind of a PITA, but less a PITA than driving a squib out of the barrel.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

That is 100% the way I was taught back around '86 @Malamute.

I only run around 200 rounds at a time on my 550, takes around 40 minutes, but I eyeball every powder charge.
    I used to tape a flashlight on my old Dillon but use the Inline Fabrications LED light and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The old school recommendation was throw charges in a loading block, look in them all before seating bullets to see if they all looked filled the same or had powder. I started that way back and havent had a no powder or low powder load. Had a small handful of dead primers.

Ive had the RCBS powder measure adjustment lock come loose, I check the weight before and after charging the block full, then about every 10th to 20th round, if it varies, I backtrack and see where it went wrong and dump all the offending cases and re-do them until right.

Looking in every case is part of why I only go around 300 rd/hr with the Dillon 550, the old single stage habits are hard to give up. If I cant see and confirm the charge its not getting a bullet. A small flashlight works, they now have small LED lights just made for loading presses to see inside each case.
    That's always been my method too. Unfortunately, the powder charge in the aforementioned wadcutters was so low that is was impossible to tell if the case had a full charge, or if there was just a bit of powder in the bottom of the case. That's the only time my calibrated eye ball failed me.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That's always been my method too. Unfortunately, the powder charge in the aforementioned wadcutters was so low that is was impossible to tell if the case had a full charge, or if there was just a bit of powder in the bottom of the case. That's the only time my calibrated eye ball failed me.

That was mentioned in the manuals of the day as an issue with some powders when i was starting out. I decided to use a bulkier powder (Unique) because of it. Its not the optimal powder for light loads, but worked for the medium loads I mostly used. The lowest charge I used was 4.5 grs, but I wasnt shooting bullseye or going for ultimate accuracy potential.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I’ve found with 38’s and 357’s (and most non compressed rifle loads) I can shake them and hear whether or not they have powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

That was mentioned in the manuals of the day as an issue with some powders when i was starting out. I decided to use a bulkier powder (Unique) because of it. Its not the optimal powder for light loads, but worked for the medium loads I mostly used. The lowest charge I used was 4.5 grs, but I wasnt shooting bullseye or going for ultimate accuracy potential.
    With a charge of 2.5 grains Interesting things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    With a charge of 2.5 grains Interesting things can happen.
    Indeed.

Its been a learning experience using 3 grs Red Dot in 38 Short Colt and 30-30 round ball loads. I think I was just using the Lee powder dippers for those, I dont load many of them. Doing them in volume would be more challenging being so neurotic about checking charges.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Indeed.

Its been a learning experience using 3 grs Red Dot in 38 Short Colt and 30-30 round ball loads. I think I was just using the Lee powder dippers for those, I dont load many of them. Doing them in volume would be more challenging being so neurotic about checking charges.
    I wound up weighing the charges separately, which was a pain in the ass. That was one of the factors that made me switch back to a 1911 for bullseye.

I typically also use the loading block but sometimes with bulk loading I usually drop the powder in the case, look at it, then seat the bullet.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Is it possible you have a load that's on the edge and is temperature or position dependent? Try tipping the gun muzzle up before firing to settle the powder back toward the primer between shots, since you're shooting slow anyway. Kind of a PITA, but less a PITA than driving a squib out of the barrel.
    It's a max charge of 231
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List