Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy, this is embarrassing

Boy, this is embarrassing

Squibs

Lots of squibs.

I started shooting some fmj .38 special I loaded a few years ago and have already had 5-6 squibs.

Before this batch I've had one squib since I was 14 that was was from me loading.

I think what happened was that I got to the bottom of the canister before I realized and wasn't checking every case.

Where I loaded in my basement at my last house in Rhode Island the lighting wasn't great. That's the only thing I can think of.

I'm going to shoot the rest as slow fire only.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

RCBS Lock-Out Die https://a.co/d/bFLQQS4
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    It might be worth weighing the loaded rounds.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It might be worth weighing the loaded rounds.
    I tried this once and it did help identify a few obvious rounds. It’s crazy the variance between rounds. I was shooting low charge rounds so it was harder to tell. I think the bullet and case variance. I removed the ones I felt were obvious and then shot the hotter down to issue. Thankful that was only a batch of 100 but it certainly got my attention

I've found enough variation in the weight of different brass that I'm leery of just trusting weight for questionable loads.

If in doubt I just use my Magic Bullet Eraser
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...4aAs_bEALw_wcB

BTDT @03RN

It's a PIA. Hope all goes well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I've found enough variation in the weight of different brass that I'm leery of just trusting weight for questionable loads.

If in doubt I just use my Magic Bullet Eraser
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...4aAs_bEALw_wcB

BTDT @03RN

It's a PIA. Hope all goes well for you.
    I've got an impact puller but I'm not going to bother pulling them. Just way to many

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    RCBS Lock-Out Die https://a.co/d/bFLQQS4

I use a single stage

The only squibs I've ever had were with. 38 wadcutters when I was shooting bullseye. The powder charge was so small that a little static charge in the hopper tube would really mess with the charge weight. After a batch of squibs I resorted to weighing every charge individually. What a pain in the ass.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm going to shoot the rest as slow fire only.
    I'd really suggest rethinking that. Blowing up a gun is semi-expensive. Life long injury from said blow up is going to be a lot more expensive, and I don't just mean in monetary terms.

Pull them down, even if it is a giant PITA, IMHO. BTDT.

Not to mention, pounding bullets out of barrels is zero fun and time consuming.

The old school recommendation was throw charges in a loading block, look in them all before seating bullets to see if they all looked filled the same or had powder. I started that way back and havent had a no powder or low powder load. Had a small handful of dead primers.

Ive had the RCBS powder measure adjustment lock come loose, I check the weight before and after charging the block full, then about every 10th to 20th round, if it varies, I backtrack and see where it went wrong and dump all the offending cases and re-do them until right.

Looking in every case is part of why I only go around 300 rd/hr with the Dillon 550, the old single stage habits are hard to give up. If I cant see and confirm the charge its not getting a bullet. A small flashlight works, they now have small LED lights just made for loading presses to see inside each case.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List