Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What pistol do you shoot the best?

A while ago I transitioned to just shooting the same gun (almost) every week and I do think that matters.

Over the last ~15yr I gradually gravitated to the M&P and that was my focus until I decided to try a Ruger 9mm SR1911. I continued to excel for a few years, enough that I questioned if it was because shooting a 42oz pistol with an excellent trigger was just easy or because I was getting good. So I bought a 5" M&P and didn't do anything except put nice Dawson sights on it, and I kept getting better. Then I bought another one, and did the common trigger and barrel enhancements, and it maybe made a little better, maybe. Then I bought a third one and did the trigger and barrel and direct milled for an SRO and I got significantly better.

But I am happy I am not a one trick pony that relies on specific equipment. A few months back I got to our three gun match and went to strap on my nice 5" gun with the RDO and realized I left it at home. So I shot that day with the 4" compact carry version that has nice, but rather crude TFO sights (otherwise stock), and happily did pretty well.

And I have recently been trying the Shield Plus, and have shot it in practice and last month at the annual "safe queen" three gun match. I do not shoot it nearly as well as the 5" RDO gun, but I am pretty happy with my performance with them.

So I think the one I shoot the best is the one I shoot the most, but I can do pretty well with the close cousins. I am sure if I had a bunch of Glocks or a bunch of Sigs or a bunch of 1911s or a bunch of CZs I would be saying the same thing, but sticking with the same thing, or alternatives with decent and similar grip and trigger ergonomics, and going out almost every week, has been my path to reasonable success.

ETA:
    But with advanced notice and opportunity, I would be inclined to gram on of the Three Amigos

Name:  MMc MnP.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  62.9 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-06-2024 at 10:26 AM.

Most quality handguns will have mechanical accuracy, etc at least as good as most shooters. So best comes down to individual fit, trigger dynamics, and sights. The sweet spot is going to vary shooter to shooter. For me trigger has a lot to do with it though. For DA: smooth and consistent more so than pull weight. For SA, crisp and light. Particular exemplars for me:

Pre-War S&W N frame revolvers. Horrible sights on the fixed sight models or not, they tend to be tack drivers for me. The old long throw DA just works better for me than the post-war short throw. Particular honors to the 1917's.

Pre-Model K-22 Target Masterpiece. Another laser of a model. Again very smooth and consistent DA triggers.

Colt 1911. With a good SA trigger dialed in they just hit that zen spot of archer and arrow. Really meaning they leave less opportunity to flub the shot one way or another.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    Without hesitation or reservation the 1911 Government Model. I have more miles with them in 45 caliber than any other. Have owned 2 chambered for the 10mm but they were more range toys as I kept on carrying the 45s. Now that I'm old and weak I'm thinking about one in 9mm. Common thread in all this is the trigger. Even with a heavy 1911 trigger (5 poundish) I shoot them better than any other design. There have been a lot of those others in the safe from time to time but the 1911s shoot the best for me.

Dave

320 Spectre Comp w/ DPP and gas pedal.

Springfield Professional with 230 grain +p HST
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

S&W 625

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I used to say "I shoot 1911's better than Glocks". But I started using Glocks about the time I really focused more on drills, and got all that muscle memory now. So I would say Glock, but if I started running drills with 1911's it'd even up pretty quickly.

I certainly like 1911's better, in the same way I like my (long gone) 79 Trans Am better than my Audi A6, even though the Audi is better in literally every possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Define best? Many people talk about “ best” but they don’t define what that means.
    Most accurate rounds on target in the shortest time.

Quote Originally Posted by mastiffkb View Post
    Most accurate rounds on target in the shortest time.
    3-5ft: pocket LCR22

5ft-25yds: G19.5

25yds-50yds: G20.3 with heartfelt honorable mention to 5" 1911's.

50yds+: G20.3

I prefer the small boot grips on my LCR, gen 5 G19's & G26's are by far my favorite, my sole remaining 1911 wears thin VZ's...yet I've made some of my best range and field shots with my thick gripped G20.

My Sig P320 TXG full-size. Stock save the front sight.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List